Cut on nose, what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut on nose, what should I do?

I've noticed a cut on Mr. Red's nose, I believe it's from him headbutting into the front of his tank. He is in a 20G long on its side, so the entire front is screen.. I don't think it looks infected, so what precautions/actions should I take?

Thanks..
    C. ciliatus- GreenBean, Mr. Red,
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

If he is banging his face because he sees movement you could cover his tank at night. I had to block my cresties view since she always lunged at the screen when I or the cats went by. Treatment, you can use antibiotic ointment without the pain reliever, or honey. It should heal up fine.
    It's better to be HATED for who you ARE, than to be LOVED for who you are NOT

1.1 Crested Geckos~ Rayne- Tempest
    2.3 Cats~ Tucker, Jasper- Alli, Shaylee, Aimee

Comment

He only lunges in the middle of the night when all the lights are off.. he's kind of a doof... I don't have any ointment without pain reliever at the moment, but I can get some tomorrow. Would hydrogen peroxide be a viable option for the time being?
      R. leachianus- Dragonite
      M. chahoua- Oliver
      2 5G planted Betta tanks

Comment

No, many folks advise against hydrogen peroxide because it causes cell death even on healthy tissue and leaves scars. Plus, it hurts.
        Specializing in Crested Geckos
        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Cool, thanks! Glad I waited on the peroxide
          R. leachianus- Dragonite
          M. chahoua- Oliver
          2 5G planted Betta tanks

Comment

honestly honey works wonders and i suggest it for face wounds as they tend to lick anything on their head especially nose region. Believe it or not it is very good at keeping the bad stuff out. Our precious had an infected bite mark on her head and honey helped it heal up nicely still a bit of a scar but it was a nasty bite. Are there any geckos around this guy that he is trying to jump at? if not maybe try and add some plexi or clear plastic over the bottom half of the screen so when he jumps he doesn't scratch it as much . And double check to make sure there is nothing besides the screen that he may have hit his little nose on.
            11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
            www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

Comment

Will do on the honey, I'm actually going to the store in a bit! I've been checking and really haven't found anything.. the only geckos that he can see are through glass, and on either side, not at all near the screen. He also could have slipped when trying to climb up the screen perhaps?
              Thankfully it appears to be scabbing, and isn't infected looking, but honey is always great to have, and it certainly doesn't seem like it will hurt
              Here is his tank, the screen slides in, and it's off the side here.
              R. leachianus- Dragonite
              M. chahoua- Oliver
              2 5G planted Betta tanks

Comment

Working...
              X