Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little bit of baby food to fatten him up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little bit of baby food to fatten him up?

My guy is little thinner than I think he ought to be. Ive tried feeding him both live and dead bugs and he doesnt really pay any attention to them. He really will only eat his CGD.
    Can I add a little bit of baby food to his cgd just to get his weight up a bit? Not fully replace the cgd but maybe like gradually increase to half and half then decrease back to none when hes at a good weight.
    Is this alright?
    "Hallo kleiner Andriod, ich bin so alleine.."
    0.0.1 Crested// Pazi
    2.1.0 Cats// Stripey, Kopa, Juniper

I would suggest against this. Repashy CGD is a complete diet and should not have anyhting added. Baby food has shown to be harmful to Cresties. IMO you should stick to CGD.
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko
    0.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Comment

I wouldn't do it. As long as he's eating, I'm sure he's fine. They won't starve themselves. Once he gets hooked on baby food, it'll be tough to get him off of it.

Noelle

Comment

I wouldn't and don't think it would do much good. The first ingredient to cgd is honey, you don't need more sugar which is the main part of baby food. You need more fat and protein. Your best best is to add ground up bugs to the CGD if you cant get them to eat bugs. But only a small portion should be bugs. I must say that crickets are something mine really love.

MMMM, they will also go through a skinny teen stage. The big thing is if he is loosing weigh, specially if he is eating. bad news. probably has bugs. I am localish if I can be of help
        Roxanne
        and the zoo
        www.geckoluv.com

Comment

How big is he? and how are you feeding insects.

With babies, pop the legs off the crickets > drop them in a little smooth sided dish > put dish in gecko enclosure over night > keep doing it.
          Eventually you'll get it to take, or it just won't. But I do find a better response by letting the geckos find the food on their own rather than trying to make them eat out of their enclosure in front of me.

Geckos are going to grow as fast as they're going to.
          Forcing them along by adding sweet treats just isn't healthy or necessary.
          The name Stella fills me with dread.
          Mondegreen Geckos
          >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

You can try adding some whole yogurt twice a week to his crested gecko diet or maybe try Clarks diet a couple of times a week.
            “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Comment

Can you post pics?
              With a ton of people posting pics of huge obese geckos, it tends to make some folks feel their geckos are inadequately sized, when they are actually at a nice healthy weight for their body frame.
              JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

What about adding a little bit of spiralina to his food to add protien? It is a plantprotien used for both people and animals. This is something a local crested breeder told me was a helpful, safe way to increase protien intake for babies and gravid females. I was thinking about trying it on a very tiny baby I have, and a gravid female rescue that has awful floppy tail and a warped back due to MBD in her past. Thoughts anyone?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybee View Post
                  Can you post pics?
                  With a ton of people posting pics of huge obese geckos, it tends to make some folks feel their geckos are inadequately sized, when they are actually at a nice healthy weight for their body frame.
                  http://i40.tinypic.com/2hp39tw.jpg
                  Tiny bit thinner than he was here
                  Attached Files
                  "Hallo kleiner Andriod, ich bin so alleine.."
                  0.0.1 Crested// Pazi
                  2.1.0 Cats// Stripey, Kopa, Juniper

Comment

Looks like a healthy gekker to me.
                    The name Stella fills me with dread.
                    Mondegreen Geckos
                    >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

Looks like the same pic both times but um yeah! I see nothing to worry about. Geckos also seem to go through growth spurts where they get lanky as their body lengthens, then they bulk up a bit. I wouldn't be adding anything to the diet to be honest!
                      JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Got to agree with the others. that baby appears perfectly normal. and very cute
                        Roxanne
                        and the zoo
                        www.geckoluv.com

Comment

Working...
                        X