Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First breeding attempt.. :/ Need advices please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First breeding attempt.. :/ Need advices please.

Hi guys! I doesn't have much experience in crested breeding. For the first time I've introduced one couple together (moved the male into the female 18x18x24 enclosure). I don't want to stress them so I'm trying not to watch too closely. I ear them "squeeking" but I'm really not sure if they mated. It's been 5 hours that I've introduced them together and I still ear them squeeking and I saw the male chasing the female but she doesnt seem to be interested. She's shaking the tail and walking away from him. If he succeded earlier would he stop to try mating her? What should I do? Leave him there? Separeted them and try again in a week? Any advices would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!

Phil
    1.2.10 Crested Gecko
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko

I've noticed the males get really active when introduced to the female, and will do many mating attempts that night, with a lot of chasing and squeaking. It tends to taper off after that. Females may tail chomp if they don't like the constant advances, so many people separate after a few days or week.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Ok, so the only way I can be sure the mating was succesful is waiting ~30 days and see if she lays? If he succeded last night will he continue to try mating her again for the next days?
      1.2.10 Crested Gecko
      1.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

He may continue to try to mate her. There's no way to be sure the mating was successful short of seeing it happen.

I started breeding this year myself, I kept my male and female together seven days. I have no idea if they actually mated and I won't unless I see eggs *shrug* It's all a waiting game!
        "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

Quick question: If you see them mate, does that pretty much ensure that you'll get eggs? (I've seen my male and female mate twice)

Comment

First time breedings can take up to 60 days for eggs to be laid. It depends on where the female is on her fertility cycle. It's not a guarantee that you'll get fertile eggs but it's very likely. Some females don't lay, or lay fewer eggs, than others. That makes re-introducing pairs later in the breeding season a good idea, but not always necessary.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Man.. she bites him back every damn time he try to mate her. She's waving her tail a lot and I don't know if it's normal. I wonder if it's some kind of defense mecanism. I'm really scared that she drop her tail. I seperated them for 24 hours and I just put them back in a neutral territory. I'm watching them for the last 2 hours and he tried 5 or 6 times without any succes. What I should do guys? Should I leave them together?

Phil
              1.2.10 Crested Gecko
              1.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

The waving of the tail is(more than likely) her rejecting him.... It may just be they aren't compatible- at least not right now.... Not sure what else to say, sorry.

I hope she'll come to accept him, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffpuffgerbil View Post
                  Quick question: If you see them mate, does that pretty much ensure that you'll get eggs? (I've seen my male and female mate twice)
                  Spyral is right! My first time breeder girl was paired 49 days ago, and still no eggs. She was seen mating a few times, but I guess you never know for sure! She doesn't look very pear shaped right now, and hasn't gained very much weight. Crossing my fingers that she's actually gravid

Comment

Working...
                  X