unfertile females and eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfertile females and eggs

Hello everyone, i have a group of females that have never been with a male. should they be laying infertile eggs? All are about 4 years old. I have been nervous about breeding any, but have decided to go ahead and breed one to two of my girls. What i am worried about is how to tell if a female is egg bound, and if this is possible even if they have not had any contact with a male. thank you very much for any input.

Not all females lay infertile eggs, some do, some don't. It can start around 20 grams. As for becoming egg bound with virgin, infertile eggs, yes - they can and I've had it happen. If you can feel eggs in the abdomen and they aren't passed or re-absorbed, the female begins losing weight - you'll want to go to a reptile vet to be treated. Soaking in lukewarm water can also help. Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
      Not all females lay infertile eggs, some do, some don't. It can start around 20 grams. As for becoming egg bound with virgin, infertile eggs, yes - they can and I've had it happen. If you can feel eggs in the abdomen and they aren't passed or re-absorbed, the female begins losing weight - you'll want to go to a reptile vet to be treated. Soaking in lukewarm water can also help. Good luck!
      Oh my goodness, I was reading through threads and saw this. I have a few girls just over 20gs, no males. This may sound like a dumb question, but about how big/what will the eggs feel like? I'm assuming hardish, roundish spots, but I've never had to check a gecko for eggs. :/

I have reasearched geckos and heard/seen pictures of some geckos with egg bunding, but never thought of it happening with virgins.
      1.0 Dog; 1.0 Leopard Gecko;10.5 Crested Geckos; 1.1Gargoyle Geckos; 1.3 Sarasinorum; 5.3.7PI Chahoua; 2.2 E. Agricolae; 1.1 Nuu Ana, 0.1 Isle E, 0.2 G. Marginata, 1.0 L. Williamsi And interested in a few others

Comment

Egg binding is thankfully a pretty rare occurance. Anything that lays eggs could theoretically become egg bound, just like anything with a mouth can bite. Doesn't mean they will, though!
        Generally, something else is wrong with the gecko for her to become eggbound. Either she was bred too young, She's immuno-compromised for some reason, (Stress, parasite load, bacterial infection, etc). I've had geckos with terribly twisted hips pass virgin eggs just fine, (A rescue garg I have has an insanely kinked tail and wonky hips) and geckos with straight hips get egg bound (Do a search for Mocha egg-binding to read my experience with it!).

Its always good to be prepared in case something happens, but honestly, the liklihood of a virgin gecko in good health becoming egg bound would be extremely rare.
        You can be prepared for those "just in case" situations by having a good veterinarian that knows the species and will know what antibiotics to give to a sick gecko, know how to deal with egg binding, knows reptile/gecko physiology pretty well. Try www.herpvetconnection.com or www.arav.com to find a herp vet hopefully near you, make some calls and talk to the clinics, find out from local herp society or other keepers in your area if they can recomend a good vet that knows cresties.
        Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Arrrrrgh, Double post! Pangea loads sooooooo slowly for me these days!
          Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Working...
          X