No announcement yet.

First Crested Gecko Babies! First Crested Gecko Death :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will agree that you shouldn't take everything on the interweb just at face value.

Large forums like this one and Repashy's forum (two of the biggest crested gecko forums- at least, English forums- on the web) however are much less susceptible to "group think" due to the sheer volume of people involved. In addition, the cumulative crested gecko experience on this forum alone spans many, many decades and includes active participation from some very knowledgable breeders- some of the "top names" in crested geckos right now.

As a bibliophile myself, I understand your natural inclination to believe the printed (supposedly peer-reviewed) word over what you're hearing here; but I myself have several books on crested geckos that I am 100% sure include quite a bit of unfortunately incorrect information. As Sericinda pointed out, the authors themselves (who many here have interacted with at least online if not met in person) will agree that the written/printed information from a decade or two ago about cresties is very outdated.

Back to the subject at hand- establishing and maintaining the correct humidity cycle is really key here. I agree with all of Jayne's suggestions in regards to your current hatchlings, and also strongly recommend that you get a digital hygrometer and thermometer (if you don't already have these) and start monitoring your humidity and temperatures carefully for the next few days. As others have pointed out- you can work with screen enclosures and achieve the same humidity cycle, but it may take more work on your end (very frequent misting), which is the main reason most prefer to use less open enclosures.

It can be a bit of trial and error to find the balance between proper ventilation and proper humidity cycle.

I keep hatchlings/juvies up to about 8g in medium sized kritter keepers, then upgrade them to DIY 24qt sterilite containers, then at 15-20g they get upgraded to their own 12x18x22 R-zilla atriums. One good mist each evening is usualy sufficient to maintain my humidity levels, but then I also live in very humid SW Florida.

Personally if my gecko room ran into the 80s during the day I'd be getting an AC unit for that room. Like I said previously, there's just not much room for error with temps that high, and overheating is a big risk with these geckos. If the temps are this high for the benefit of some other reptiles, you may need to relocate your cresties to a cooler part of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by carrucha View Post
      So, I was excited to get my first hatchlings on Saturday. Today, 6 days later, the oldest one was found dead. What did I do wrong?
      What's frustrating for us on this end is, you came here asking us for our opinions on what happened to your geckos. Then, when you didn't like what you were hearing - that multiple things could have contributed to the gecko's death, because you are using outdated information, you became defensive and called us all a bunch of jerks.

I love geckos, and I've been raising geckos for over 4 years. In that time, I've had one juvenile crested gecko die from dehydration, as well as an adult female. But I've owned/bred/hatched out probably around 300-400 animals now.

When we first got our pair of crested geckos, guess what we did? We took them off CGD (which the breeder was feeding) and fed baby food! About a month later was when we found these forums, and learned what complete tools we were, we vowed to share our experiences - good and bad - with others. To hopefully avoid people making our same mistakes.

Since then, forums have become my #1 source to find out what's new and what's improved in the gecko keeping hobby. My advice to you in this thread doesn't come from my desire to make you feel like you are a terrible gecko keeper. You asked what could be happening, and I offered some insight based on experience. Yes, your gecko probably died of dehydration because that's what takes down geckos the fastest. But when you linked the care sheet you were using, it was obvious the information you are basing your crested care on is outdated.

Forums are the best place to learn how to make improvements in your gecko's lives. At the end of the day, you can get defensive, or you can take the advice and make changes. I simply offered my thoughts (which you asked for) and gave you suggestions on how to make things better.

I highly recommend you check out this thread. At least one reptile vet speaks to the horrors of baby food:
      http://www.forums.repashy.com/diseas...ted-gecko.html

I wish you well, and your animals well. And I hope that you take what we've been telling you to heart and put your animals first.
      Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Actually, I understand your hesitance to alter husbandry methods based on a seemingly random anonymous internet forum. I felt the same way, when I first came to this site (at the suggestion of a biology professor specializing in reptiles).

People started recommending omitting the baby food even though the care sheets, the book I had, and the previous owner told me otherwise. This was in spite of the fact that I was only asking for advice for an injured tail!

The reason I decided to go with the advice here: I waited until several people (quite a few, actually) gave the same recommendations, and I also went to the websites of those people and saw photos of their individual geckos and how many they have, and how healthy they look on a long term basis.

I also read other threads, many other threads. I saw photos of what happens when you feed baby food. I read many personal accounts.

At the bottom of every post is a link labeled "Find" that will take you to a listing of that person's posts. You can read the personal accounts and experience behind each person's advice. You can read threads of how many were skeptical, and how and why their minds were changed.

Here's a good thread to start with:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...y+food+youtube

I don't expect you to take the advice of any one individual. Just hear us out, preferably without insulting us, and see how many people representing how much experience recommend what, do a lot of reading online where information is update-able and subject to opposing viewpoints (so not just a reposting of a static care sheet).

What's frustrating for us on this end is, you came here asking us for our opinions on what happened to your geckos. Then, when you didn't like what you were hearing - that multiple things could have contributed to the gecko's death, because you are using outdated information, you became defensive and called us all a bunch of jerks.
        This, times 10.

I wish you well, and your animals well. And I hope that you take what we've been telling you to heart and put your animals first.
        Also times 10.
        Last edited by Jayne; 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM.
        *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
        0.2 cats
        0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
        1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Comment

Originally posted by Jayne241 View Post
          Actually, I understand your hesitance to alter husbandry methods based on a seemingly random anonymous internet forum. I felt the same way, when I first came to this site (at the suggestion of a biology professor specializing in reptiles).
          Some folks are more willing to accept advice and others not so much. I normally take the advice and test it to see how things work out. If its solid, then I continue, if its not then I search for something that does work.

People started recommending omitting the gecko food even though the care sheets, the book I had, and the previous owner told me otherwise. This was in spite of the fact that I was only asking for advice for an injured tail!
          I think that is suppose to say baby food. Even today, you can pick up a recent magazine that is directed towards reptiles and see that it still recommends feeding baby food.

In the year that I have been here there has been a large amount of people that have entered into the chat room here on Pangea, asking for help for their suddenly ill gecko. The pictures they post are of extremely ill geckos that are a rubber mess from feeding baby food. When we instruct the people to get their very ill gecko to the vet and to stop feeding the baby food. Almost all of them immediately get defensive and either leave or proceed to argue why baby food is such a great food for the geckos. Personally when I see a gecko that is in as bad of shape as some of these MBD geckos posted. I tend to wonder how the owner could of let an animal slide so far, if they continuously research their care. A big flag would go up for me thinking "How in the world, if they are researching. Could they not see that their gecko was ill before it came to this?" A gecko with a jaw bent at 90 degrees to its upper jaw and legs that look like those Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Man, is not a gecko that suddenly became ill. That is a gecko that has been ill for a few months, if not more.

If you are interested in a food that is sweeter, but still balanced. Matt sells an amazing food here on Pangea, that most of my geckos will clean their bowls of when they get it once every two weeks. It is a treat and not meant to be used as a staple diet though.Pangea Fruit Mix

I don't expect you to take the advice of any one individual. Just hear us out, preferably without insulting us, and see how many people representing how much experience recommend what, do a lot of reading online where information is update-able and subject to opposing viewpoints (so not just a reposting of a static care sheet).
          Jayne's advice here is correct. Everyone has their own way of how they want to do things.

Take for instance, its recommended that you keep your cresties in a 12x12x18 exo-terra at a minimum tank size as an adult. I have actually found that even when provided with plenty of cover and hiding spots some of my geckos sort of fade into a corner in those size of tanks. Drop them into a 12x12x12 or a 12x12x15 and they are scooting around the tank that same night and always active after that.

Read around on forums dedicated to the Rhacodactylus species and see what others have recommended. General forums tend to have knowledgeable people, but not always well informed people responding to your thread with up to date and accurate information.

The assistance provided on here is some of the most up to date information that you are going to get. Remember too, with written text it may read as being harsh and scolding, but you do not get to see or hear the tone and body language of the person speaking to you. I can not stay this enough about written text. I have actually lost a job opportunity, because of the way that my message read. When I took the same message to people that knew me in person, they could not find a single thing wrong with the message. They had to really scrutinize the message to see how the recipient had read it to be able to send the response that they did to me.

I know that it may feel like you were attacked and that is it not a friendly environment. I, myself have felt the same way when I first started into keeping crested geckos. That some people seemed to be mean to me, but now after being involved with crested gecko care longer now. I go back and reread some of my first posts and I can see the flags that pop up in an experienced keepers mind when they read my original posts.

I hope that this post will be helpful to you and that you continue to participate here at Pangea. If you have the time stop by the chat room, its a great place to get to know some of the regular posters and learn that they are really not a mean bunch of people.
          Eublepharis macularius 2.1 Normals, 1.1 TUG Phantoms
          Rhacodactylus ciliatus 3.3.7.0
          Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.0.4
          Lepidodactylus lugubris 0.2.0

Comment

Originally posted by sammer021486 View Post

People started recommending omitting the gecko food even though the care sheets, the book I had, and the previous owner told me otherwise. This was in spite of the fact that I was only asking for advice for an injured tail!
            I think that is suppose to say baby food. Even today, you can pick up a recent magazine that is directed towards reptiles and see that it still recommends feeding baby food.
            Oops, yes you are absolutely correct. Thanks for catching that! I edited it to say "omitting the baby food."
            *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
            0.2 cats
            0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
            1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Comment

I just thought I'd add this little bit;

Anyone can write a book and have it published. It takes just a bit longer than it does to post on a forum :3

And yes, depending on when a book was published, it is safe to assume that you can find at least some more up to date information on the web.

When it comes to reptiles, honestly, I don't trust books. I have yet to find an accurate how-to-care-for book that is easily accessible (and by that I mean available readily at bookstores or petstores) that has 100% accurate or safe knowledge. All of my proper care has come from spending 6 months to 1+ years researching the animals I want to buy, reading care sheets given out by successful breeders and lurking or being a member of a forum.

Good luck with the rest of your babies though, I hope they all thrive!
              The name Stella fills me with dread.
              Mondegreen Geckos
              >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

This is an AMAZING forum and nobody has ever steered me wrong here. I know what these people are saying is TRUE and i trust them, i would listen to their Advice. Also nobody here has ever been unfriendly to me if you listen It will save your remaining Gecko. I hope your little one is well and good luck to you ok.

Comment

huh oops, never mind.

Comment

I agree about the wire cage! Should be glass or plastic with screen top. Drafts may have got in and change the temp at night while you were sleeping. To cold, froze to death? Are the others damaged in any way?

Comment

CrestedGecko101, sadly we'll probably never know how the OP's other geckos fared (although I have a couple guesses ). This is an old, old thread and the original poster stopped replying long ago.
                      Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

3.3 crested geckos: Turkish, Sollux, Pyx, Buttercup, Dandelion, and Jem.

Comment

Working...
                      X