Seriouse Help Needed Now!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriouse Help Needed Now!!!

ok i know this is like the third thread on here but i literally went to check on sprite and theres something wrong, she is frailing her back legs everywhere there swollen and she feels really spongy like, i tried to give her something to drink and then she almost drowned herself i feel like such a bad owner but the shop i got them from told me to do all the wrong things, what do i do i have her with me right now and i'm almost in tears cause i don't wanna lose her!!! i'm such a crappy owner :'(

Separate her from the other gecko, put her in a smaller cage if you have one, don't give her a bunch of stuff to climb on. it should just be damp paper towels and some hide stuff. From what you have told us before, she sounds like she is undergoing a severe calcium crash. (I am NOT an expert, but those are all the classic symptoms.) Keep her quiet and try not to stress her out.

Tonight, mix up a slurry of calcium/D3 powder with some baby food or a little organic fruit smoothie (with nothing if you don't have these things, and definitely not with mashed banana) the idea is to mix it with something that will tempt her to eat. If you have an eyedropper or the fat end of a chopstick use it to brush a tiny amount on her lips, and see if she will lick it off. try do do this without holding her in your hands, as it will only stress her more. If you can get to a store you can also buy calcium glubionate; it is a liquid calcium supplement for children.

In the morning call a vet ASAP and tell them you have a crested with a calcium crash. If she made it through the night she _will_ need veterinary attention. He may give her a shot of calcium. Be prepared for some work; sometimes it takes a while to reverse the results; sometimes they come around quickly.

I am really sorry that you are having problems with your geckos; it is really disappointing to get all the wrong info from someone who is supposed to help you out, like the pet store. Best of luck to you; try to just keep them quiet and not too stressed until they can see a vet. At least now you are learning more things which will help you in the future with them. It is awful to have to watch your pet suffer; I know how you feel. You are doing what you can for them now. Let us know how things turn out. Cresties are pretty tough; if she pulls out of the crash she still stands a good chance of leading a long gecko life.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Comment

i put her in a critter keeper, she quit happily drinks water on her own, i'm taking both of them to a vet this morning!!! she had some vitamins and she's made it through the night, but i been up most of it keeping an eye on her, so i'm gunna set some shut eye befor work *yawns*

Comment

okie dokie organized to go see a vet at 3:10 *crosses fingers* sprite is fine this morning, she shed after having her clcium powder stuff last night and i didn't need to put her in a box cause she's sat quit happily on her own not climbing or anything!!! i have faith in my lil sprite so i'll get them both checked out
        thankyou so much btw, i coupldn't have done it with out you guys
        xxx

Comment

You are not a crappy owner. When you are given the wrong information and you don't know any better, how are you supposed to know what you're doing isn't correct?

You're doing what you can for them now and seeking out advice. That's what counts. Best of luck to you at the vet appointment.
          A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

I agree, you are not a crappy owner, but this is why it is important to do your research when you invest in a pet that you don't really know anything about. I've found out over the years that pet store staff generally don't know much about reptiles.... and many of them will hand out false information rather than look like idiots.

Glad you're doing what you can to help her, and I hope you learned to do your research next time :P

Originally posted by IndyCrestie
            You are not a crappy owner. When you are given the wrong information and you don't know any better, how are you supposed to know what you're doing isn't correct?

You're doing what you can for them now and seeking out advice. That's what counts. Best of luck to you at the vet appointment.

Comment

the vet went ok, she has told me to keep giving my gecko the calcium, because she is improving and would rather avoid pumping chemicals into small animals!!! and she wasen't sure on the eyes, thinks it could be parasites so she's gonna check with a reptile expert she knows and give ma a call back and they are both looking up there gunna live

Comment

update:-
                so my gecko's both seem to be perking up, i went to the vet and there not a 100 so the vet is going to get back to me. the gecko's are sheding again normally, but they seem to have trouble taking the skin off there eyes and it seems to be stuck, the one with the swollen eyes has improved, her eyes have gone down but they are misty, she's the top pririoty, i give them calcium every morning and every evening and i spen alot of time nursing them
                have to weigh them on sunday and clean them out
                char
                x

Comment

Glad to hear they seem a bit better, good luck with them.

Comment

there is one small problem, the gecko (snappy) who had the swollen eyes has shed but the skin wont come off her eyes what should i do since it's been there for bout 3 or 4 days now

Comment

Working...
                    X