Gargoyle eye infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gargoyle eye infection

Ok so this has been going on for two weeks now. We've taken her to the vet, and had the eye drained, we also got eye drops to give her for a week with a follow up appointment last Friday. When she was at the vet her eye was well on its way to healing, and we (the vet and I) agreed to dis-continue the drops. Last night I noticed the eye puffing out again as you can see by the pictures. Just wondering if anybody else has seen this in the past? We have started the drops again and the swelling seems to be going back down. Any advice would be appreciated

Max & Frances

Sticky Toed Geckos

I had a baby crested just like that. It went away after a few weeks.

Comment

Is there fluid behind it(the eyecap?) What might the drops be called as well?

Comment

Yes there fluid between the eye and the eyecap. When we went to the vet she pearced the top of the eye socket between the eye and the eyecap to drain the fluid out. She sampled the fluid and it was bacterial with large amounts of white blood cells. Now when I put the drops in fluid starts to seep from the top of the eyecap.

The name of the drops is Tobrex. By the leaflet that came with it it seems to be also for human use. I haven't done a search on it yet, but I will tomorrow.

Just wondering if anybody else has had any experences like this one, and what happened with there animals.

Seems that eye infections are the most common thing to happen to me. Not that it's common for me to see a vet, but the only other time I had to take a reptile to a vet was a year ago when my water dragon got an eye infection. Just a coincidence I'm sure as the dragons was caused by eco-earth.

Max
        Max & Frances

Sticky Toed Geckos

Comment

Comment

Frances - Yup Tobrex is for humans, I was on it for an eye infection this time last year(it was really nasty). I had been taking it for 2 weeks per Doc orders, and my eye kept getting worse. Turns out that Tobrex should only be used on Humans for a small amount of time. It'll clear up an infection but if kept being used will start a new one...lots of fun.
            Anyway, my female Phant had a scratched eye, and the vet gave Tobrex as well. Cleared up the infection in just under a week. Only difference was when it was for MY eye it cost $7, when it was for my gecko it was $35
            I would guess that your Goyles infection wouldn't be internal as that would make the eyeball itself bulge out? It's weird how it's between the eyecap and actual eyeball.
            Oops -sorry Max, skipped ur name and just assumed

Comment

Tobrex is a name brand for the antibiotic tobramycin. I know if given in large doses and for a long time in humans it is toxic to the kidneys. Sure don't know about how it would be used for geckos though.
              "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
              ~ James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
              X