she lost her tail!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• she lost her tail!!!

what do i do now ? should i take her to the vet and get her stiches? i put some campho phenique ( i think thats how you spell it) it has stuff in it to help with any pain and help it heal up and keep it from getting infected but is there a way to bandage it or something? should i wash it out ? im so worried and it was so grose the way it wiggled!!!!!
    gecko luv!! so much better than human luv dont you think? men sux!

yes it is prety icky when they loose their tails but it happens. dont worry about. they have it covered naturally
    http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7...fbba61fvt1.gif
    www.world-reptiles.com

Comment

so ishouldent worry about it getting infected???? it looks so painful do you think it hurts alot???

Comment

if you keep her on any type of natural substrate you may want to switch her over to paper towels for a week or so while it heals. You can gently clean it with some diluted chlorhexiderm solution or mild antibacterial soap and warm water to clean out any debris that has collected in that area. Let is stay open to the air to heal well, no need to keep applying ointments or other topicals to the area. Cresties have been dropping their tails in the wild for thousands of years without ill effects. Let nauture take it's course, but keep her environment clean daily to help cut down on the possibility of infection.
        Nell Rux
        a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
        Just Ice Reptile

Comment

thanx i allready put her in a much smaller tank with jst a small silk plant some bowls and paper towls ill go ahead and flush out the wound with warm watter and keep you updated !!!

Comment

Try not to worry about it too much. I read in de Vosjoli and Fast's new book that they have seen maybe ONE adult in the wild ever with a tail. (Plus they timed it once when a gecko's tail fell off. It wiggled for 5 or 6 minutes, I think. Ewww. ) I would feel awful too, but she'll probably jump even easier now once she gets back into her original cage.....
            "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
            You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
            --Bare Naked Ladies

Comment

not only do they wiggle for a few minutes, but once they stop wiggling, you can start them again by hitting them on something .... I know weird and gross... but it's kind of amusing.

Comment

lol how long can you restart this "process" for?
                Vadalism:Beautiful as a rock in a cops face

Comment

omg all i can say is EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!

Comment

I couldn't imagine having to get stitches for every gecko that dropped it's tail. That would be a serious vet bill
                    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Comment

Ya it would. As well as a serious waste of time. I can't imagine that the stitches would hold :lol: .
                      -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                      0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
                      0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
                      1.0.0 ball python
                      0.1.0 BCI
                      0.2.0 leopard geckos

Comment

wow thats really interesting but good to know for future reference. lol
                        Jillie
                        3.5.19 Crested Geckos (0.3.15 for sale)
                        0.1.0 R.Brev (pygmy chams)

www.CelticHerps.com

Comment

jillie, what's good to know? that if they drop their tails that it's nothing to worry about?
                          It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Comment

well... not sure with cresties to tell you the truth ... but I used to have a golden gecko back in the day, dropped it's tail one day... and a drunken friend of mine whipped it's tail against the desk, ceiling, himself... so forth every time it would stop to twitch... and it would start again... he probably did it at least 20 times... I swear this went on for like close to an hour...

I know... I'm really late on the response :P I forgot about this thread

Originally posted by (v)@tt
                            lol how long can you restart this "process" for?

Comment

ok can you say gor-o-rific

Comment

Working...
                              X