Incubation Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incubation Issues

I've had a few great seasons of near 100% hatch rate using a hovabator at just below 80 and moistened vermiculite for my cresties.

I have since moved (changing my indoor temp and humidity significantly) and have begun having a lot of trouble getting eggs to hatch. Some die quickly while others make it full term, but never hatch.

I'm currently keeping my incubator in the basment using Super Hatch. The SH has trouble with extremes, either condensation on the sides of the container or bone dry.

Is there something I need to tweek, or should I start from scratch and store my egg containers at room temperature in one of my upstairs rooms??
    Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
    ROC Geckos
    Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

can you post a pic of your incy?

what type of extremes are we talking here?
    you may wanna try using more SH in a larger container, with the eggs closer to the middle if you otherwise cant control the temps.

i suggest using a better location, which you know works well, until you get the issues sorted out.

good luck!
    keep us posted.
    J.R.

5.11.!.! crested gex
    0.1 pacman frogs
    1.0 chahoua
    0.0.1 milk frog

Comment

I'm having problems, too.

Last year, I lost all my eggs.

This year, I had a LOT hatch, but everything laid since September had died in the shells.

I keep the hatch boxes in the same place, under the same conditions.

I candled them, and they were fertile and swelling, but they just deflated and died.

By the way-of all the eggs I put into Super Hatch, only one hatched.

The others that hatched were all in perlite.

I wanted to experiment with the two, and put all of Sui's eggs in Super Hatch, and all of Josey and Olivia's went into the perlite.

I'm sticking to perlite from now on.

I'm waiting now for my SIM box to be delivered. I can't wait to try it, and may order another one before Spring.

I'm praying it's as good as it's advertised to be.
      Love and Light-
      Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Comment

Samantha did you put your perlite and superhatch in the same type of container? Just wondering cause if I dont use a big enough container for the superhatch tends to dry a little faster for me. But of course it also depends on where everybody keeps there containers in.

Comment

I don't have any air holes in my incubator so the super hatch does not dry out fast at all. I open the lid maybe every other day if I remember and had almost all my eggs hatch perfectly. I still have 6 in the incubator but they look to be hatching soon as well.
          http://talkengeckos.com/
          Online buyer reviews http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...t=talkenlate04
          http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...t=talkenlate04

Comment

Poke-

Thanks for the reply!

Yes-they were both in the same type of container-everything was exactly the same other than the hatching media.

Both sit on the book shelf in my living room.

Both have 2 tiny tack holes in the top.

I put the Super Hatch in an old pantyhose leg, placed that in an bowl of warm water for about 15 minutes, then pulled it out to drain and put it in the hatch box.

I did the same for the perilte.

I've always had a tiny bit of condensation on the lids, and I've been checking them daily for air exchange and hatchlings.
            Love and Light-
            Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Comment

I've also had the eggs mold more often in the Super Hatch, and they seem to absorb a bit of the color of it, too, even though I rinsed it till the water ran clean.
              Love and Light-
              Donna

Comment

Working...
              X