Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible?

Hi guys,
    I've read countless threads on hand-feeding and the fear of over-doing it. My question is, has anyone ever experienced over hand-feeding? As in too much hand-feeding to the point where a gecko just refused to find it's own food? I was just curious since I like to hand-feed some of my geckos from time to time. I'm also feeding one of my females the E-fix. She won't eat it on her own so I've been hand feeding according to the instructions. It doesn't seem to stress her at all and she seems to like being hand-fed...maybe a bit too much. I know hand-feeding can sometimes cause stress on a gecko but is it possible that it can have another negative effect like possibly spoiling a gecko? Appreciate the comments!
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

I will leave it to the others to answer, but I too have to hand feed one of my geckos. I just make a little bit and put it on the end of the spoon. If she doesn't take it it's fine with me. And if she does she can eat as much off the spoon as she wants. I could definitely see a problem occurring in that the gecko could learn to only rely on you to hand feed it. But I will let the others chime in.

Comment

My female gargoyle will only eat when being handfed. It's a long weird story - basically she ate fine in her cage when I first got her, then stopped eating. She had always had to find her own food with her previous owner, so there was no explaining her behavior. I have literally tried everything to get her to eat in her cage, but she *would* rather starve. I think this is a rare situation, however, and occasional handfeeding is probably just fine!
      .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Comment

Originally posted by juliethegr8t View Post
        My female gargoyle will only eat when being handfed. It's a long weird story - basically she ate fine in her cage when I first got her, then stopped eating. She had always had to find her own food with her previous owner, so there was no explaining her behavior. I have literally tried everything to get her to eat in her cage, but she *would* rather starve. I think this is a rare situation, however, and occasional handfeeding is probably just fine!
        Yeah, it's my gargoyle that will not eat in her cage either. I really don't know what to do about it...if there is anything. Oh well extra handling time I guess

Comment

Working...
        X