Breeding Next Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Next Season

So, next season, I am thinking I only want to breed one of my two females. Since I don't expect the economy to recover anytime soon, it would probably be wise since I am not flooded with hatchlings who won't be able to find new homes.

But both my females are on their first season, which would be nice to get out of the way. I have seen some mention of people freezing excess eggs right away, before the embryo even has a chance to develop. Would it be ethical to breed both, but freeze most of the eggs from one of the girls? That way she has her first season of perhaps some duds, but without the surplus of hatchlings?
    Rubia's two eggs and Julie's Red Boy
    0.2 Felis catus - Tonks and Mochi
    0.1 Yellowbelly Ball Python

If these girls are having their first year, could be that most wont hatch out anyway. Or could be they all are good and hatch!
    If they are good females, nice structure and color I would let them have their first season and try to incubate the eggs. Just my thoughts though...
    www.geckohaven.com
    Cin

Comment

Hey Stacykins,

When you say freezing the eggs, are you meaning to halt embryonic growth so that when you throw them away, you wouldn't be getting rid of a live embryo?

I commend you on thinking ahead to the number of hatchlings you could produce and the effect the economy could have on you housing or selling all of them. You should probably decide based on what you'll be capable of doing... if you choose to breed both girls and they both end of giving you healthy eggs, would you actually be able to get rid of eggs knowing they could produce a healthy hatchling? If it you hesitate or question whether you'd be able to, I'd recommend holding off on breeding the second female. If you honestly thinking it wouldn't phase you in the slightest, go for it.

As far as the ethics behind it goes, you are bound to get a wide variety of opinions. I don't want to delve into my own personal opinion and start a moral debate. Just remember that is it a grey area. Some people will find nothing wrong with it, some people will really frown upon it. Do what is best for you.

-Steph
      Kevin and Steph
      http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
      Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Comment

I also commend you for thinking about the responsibilities that go along with breeding rather than simply "breeding because you can". I carefully choose a small number of females each breeding season as well. There have been times in the past where the demand for my geckos outweighed my supply, but I would much rather deal with that than having more geckos than I can find good homes for. I also agree that with 2 first year females, it complicates things a bit. I've had first year breeders that maybe dropped one pair of infertile eggs and then took right off like clockwork producing fertile clutches, and I've had first year females that dropped nothing but infertile eggs their first year. In fact this past season I had 2 first year breeders that I started up. I only got 2 fertile eggs from one and no fertile eggs from the other. I didn't start them up until June, as I really don't like to stress first year breeders by pushing them too hard early on, but I was hoping I'd get a couple of good clutches from each to see how they would produce. I was a little disappointed in the results, but I'm pretty confident they'll take right off next year with no problems.
        If I was you, I'd ask myself if these are quality females with a quality male to mate with. If I felt that they had the potential to produce nice, marketable offspring, I'd probably try to put them together to see how they prove out. You might want to do what I do though and not start them really early in the breeding season. That way if they do start producing good eggs right away, the shortening days and cooler temperatures of fall will make it easier to shut them down if you're worried about having too many eggs to deal with.
        As for the "moral question" of freezing eggs... I've never had to do that, but I guess I personally would have no problem with the practice, other than the fact that it is stressful to the females to produce the eggs, only to have them disposed of. I'd first make every attempt to limit egg production if I felt that I was getting more than I could handle.

Gary
        Gary Hamann
        Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Comment

You can send Rubia this way and I can help you breed her
          -Ashley https://www.facebook.com/BerryPatchGecko

Comment

I personally have froze eggs before. My first time breeding beardies, I just wanted to get my feet "wet" and try raising a handfull of babies at a time. I chose 5 babies for the first two times, grew them up a bit, and decided I liked it and allowed for more eggs to hatch. But whenever I felt over whelmed, I would freeze eggs when they were laid. If this is a true hobby/passion you have to decide is it just to do it for money, or passion. And if passion feels over whelming, it is time to take steps to control that situation. And I often recomend this to people with beardies as many people I end up talking to try to house male and female together, now they have eggs, what to do what to do!

And although this is a an easy way out (sorta), it does leave you with the what if's. What if that egg you froze turned out to be a beautiful baby? I thought that alot, maybe those eggs would have been the nicest of the clutch.

I do agree with what was stated, if you think your females are of good quality, and you have a good quality, then breed them. But as with the others, I have had first time breeders lay 1 infertile clutch, then the rest was fertile, others where every other clutch was infertile, some where 1 egg was fertile, and this season, my virgins laid 1-2 fertile clutches and the rest were duds.

Either way you go, good luck
            lets just say I have a lot of stuff
            www.sublimereptiles.com
            Facebook
            BOI

Comment

Actually Ash, Rubia who is the one I'd prefer breeding! She's such a drop dead gorgeous red harley plus, I really want to see what she throws when paired with Tyrian! Henna is a very nice female too, though! A brick red flame, she could throw some nice babes too.

As a first time breeder, I'd definitely only want to have a handful of hatchlings my first season, coupled with the poor economy. It is heartbreaking seeing amazing geckos being so hard to get into new homes. I am so glad you all posted.

I will probably breed them both, and keep a couple of viable eggs from Henna, and freeze the rest. That is hard though, knowing that the eggs have the potential to be an amazing gecko. Starting them later in the breeding season is a great idea. Not only can they pack on even more weight, a shorter season will be easier on their little bodies.
              Rubia's two eggs and Julie's Red Boy
              0.2 Felis catus - Tonks and Mochi
              0.1 Yellowbelly Ball Python

Comment

Working...
              X