MBD help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBD help

I'm hoping for some advice/help for my adult male crested that I'm sure has MBD. He has a curved spine and his jaw is seriously drooping. I have been force feeding him since his jaw is practically useless. I am feeding him baby food mixed with CGD and ReptoCal through a syringe. We've been at this for over 3 weeks now. He has improved and is working on a shed. I am just wondering if anyone has had the drooping jaw and managed to heal it back. The MBD sticky post did not include much about the jaw.

I have pics but don't know how to post them.

Any advice or moral support is welcome.

Sorry to hear about his health
    The first thing I can tell you is loose the baby food all together! Baby food contains no nutrion for geckos and is often a cause of MBD. You can provide him with extra calcium, but I don't know much about the reptocal, maybe someone else can help you there. Drooping jaw is definatly not good at all. Can you post a photo of him please?
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

pics

Okay, my first attempt at uploading pics of my gecko, Squishy. These were taken a couple weeks ago.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Squishy faceforward.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1053485

Name:	Squishy side.jpeg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1053486

Name:	Squishy top.jpeg
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1053487

Comment

Oh hun..
        He does look pretty bad, If you can get him to a vet I'd do so. Heres a list of Herp Vets:
        http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

When MBD is that far advanced, I'm not sure what they could really do for him.
        Can you tell me more about his backround? Like how long you've had him, his regular diet, How hes housed and what the temp and humidity has been in his enclosure?
        Crestopia Reptiles

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

Aaah poor guy, Ive never seen a loose jaw like that before but I wish you the best with him.
          2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
          1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
          1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Comment

I feel so horrible about it =( I think I cried nearly the entire day when I discovered the severity of his condition.

I've had him for about three years. I got him as an adult from someone who ordered breeders and got extra. I've been housing him in a cage someone else gave me, it's pretty big 30"x12"x25". I've kept him on coconut bedding or paper towels. He's got lots of plastic plants in there and I usually have to go looking for him to find him. He hated to be handled so I left him alone except for cleanings.

I've fed him the baby food for most of this time, occasionally I'd try putting in the CGD with it, but he didn't eat it like the baby food. I kept an eye on his calcium sacs and even in the state I found him in a few weeks ago, they still had calcium in them (they are now about the size of his eyes). I thought that if he had extra calcium in them he was alright, I guess I was very much mistaken.

I had noticed he wasn't eating and tried various things to get him to eat without forcing him, but to no avail. I checked those calcium sacks but thought maybe I wasn't keeping him warm enough or humid enough. I have had difficulty keeping his cage properly humidified. The temperature is usually 73 or higher.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I'm sure that baby food was most likely the cause for the MBD. Even if they don't like the CGD to the baby food, going cold turkey and offering CGD only, they will eat it. He wouldn't starve himself. As far as heat and humidity Cresteds prefer heat to be between 78-65 (65 at night)
              They should be misted once or twice a day (heavily at night) Humidity should between 50%60% and go up to 80%-90% after misted
              Crestopia Reptiles

Comment

I'm going to try to get with one of these drs from the Herp Vets website you posted.

Comment

Poor little guy.

I agree to get rid of the baby food completely. Hand feed him the Crested Gecko Diet and get him into a vet to see what else they say. I don't know enough about MBD to tell you much more than that.

Good luck with him.
                  Melanie
                  3.1 Chahoua
                  6.20.19 Crested Gecko
                  https://www.facebook.com/BertopiaGeckos?ref=hl
                  http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...a-b6af2bc66138

Comment

Thats a great idea! Please keep us posted!
                    Crestopia Reptiles

Comment

I'm hopeful since he's gotten stronger and his jaw had close a bit since this whole mess started. I am just worried since it hasn't come up as much as I had hoped.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

Your gecko's condition is probably totally irreversible. If you'd be able to bring it out of the state it's in, it would be a miracle. Based on the pictures you posted, your gecko is more than likely going to starve to death unless you continually hand feed it for the rest of it's life. That's assuming the jaw issue persists. Personally, I would recommend euthanasia by a vet.
                        Kyle J. Salzmann
                        Check out Gekkonidazed Geckos on Facebook!
                        www.gekkonidazed.com
                        New to shipping reptiles? Use ShipYourReptiles.com and save! Enter code Dazed40 at checkout and get 40% off your 1st shipment!

Comment

Originally posted by Salzy View Post
                          Your gecko's condition is probably totally irreversible. If you'd be able to bring it out of the state it's in, it would be a miracle. Based on the pictures you posted, your gecko is more than likely going to starve to death unless you continually hand feed it for the rest of it's life. That's assuming the jaw issue persists. Personally, I would recommend euthanasia by a vet.
                          Let a vet make that decision for you.

It sounds like you have done the best you knew how and now that you are learning more, you will know what to do in the future. Keep feeding him and loving him until you learn more from the vet.
                          Melanie
                          3.1 Chahoua
                          6.20.19 Crested Gecko
                          https://www.facebook.com/BertopiaGeckos?ref=hl
                          http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...a-b6af2bc66138

Comment

Thanks bertopia.
                            That's what I intend to do. When I first found him I wasn't sure he was going to make it at all, but we've made it three weeks now. I realize that he's bad off and that euthanasia may be what I have to do, but I'm going to try to do what I can to keep from having to do that.

Comment

euth sounds like a horrible thing, but if you find he is loosing alot of weight from not being able to eat, even if you are hand feeding, it is the more humane way to treat this situation.

Aside from that, as said ditch the baby food. I wouldnt do cold turkey with the CGD, a gecko in this condition will more then likely starve itself because of the physical (and no doubt mental) stress of its current situation. I would try some alternitives. Try making the CGD with nectar, you can easily find mango nectar at the grocery store (often in the mexican area), or in health food stores. Use this in place of the water, or mix half nectar and half water. The sweet taste will usually spark their interest. And you are not limited to just mango nectar, I am sure banana nectar will work also, not so sure about the other flavors though.

Try blending actual fruit with it. I know my guys love having fresh mango blended with their CGD. Instead of making it 2:1, I make it about 1:1 or 1.5:1 and add in the mango, toss it in the blender in puree and you have a cgd/mango smoothie for your gecko.

Another option is part two diet, try the other flavors, worth a shot.

Also some vets offices have critical care, use the omnivour diet. I found my one sick gecko I was dealing with actually enjoyed it, and for that you make it to the consistancy of pea soup.
                              lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                              www.sublimereptiles.com
                              Facebook
                              BOI

Comment

Working...
                              X