Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MBD a quick reference.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MBD a quick reference.

    MBD a quick reference guide.


    This poster was created by Steph Sadler of SadlerReptiles. It's great information and wonderful art led me to make this into a sticky. Thank you very much Steph!

    Anyone else who out like to post pictures showing the signs of MBD please do so below. Please try and limit any text posts.

    Thank you!
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

  • #2




    ~amber~
    rivercityrhacs.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I thought i'd add a few pics.
      Heres the begining of MBD


      Comment


      • #4
        The top picture in the above post can also be linked with floppy tail syndrome AKA FTS, not just MBD. Each are closely related and one can be the symptom of the other. If FTS is the only issue and not MBD treatment is generally vastly different.
        Sarah & Jake
        LunarGecko.net
        Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
        You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

        Comment


        • #5
          if the picture was in proportion...good cal sacs should be about 3/4 the siz of the geckos eye!!! WTF? if so i got work ahead of me...my gils are solid white little bumps but they are not that big!
          Crested Geckos 4.8.7.2
          Leopard Geckos 1.0.0
          Portuguese Water Dog 0.1.0
          www.chasescresties.webs.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Wolf Runner-from Monster-He was one of the geckos that Steph used for models for her poster.

            His MBD was congenital-Mom must have been under-calcified when she laid his egg.

            He has actually IMPROVED since I originally got him. He receives UVB light every day and extra calcium in his CGD.







            He's quite the little acrobat!!



            Last edited by samanthajane13; 09-19-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: forgot something...
            Love and Light-
            Donna

            "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

            Comment


            • #7
              Here is a picture of my little guy when I got him. He has MBD:





              6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
              2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails
              1.2.0 Ball Pythons - 1 Pied, 2 Regular

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh, Tara!!!

                He's BEAUTIFUL!!!

                Poor baby...it's really odd how the crest at the back of the neck narrows that way!!

                He looks like he's a real sweetie!!!

                Good luck with him-from one MBD Mom to another!!
                Love and Light-
                Donna

                "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by samanthajane13 View Post
                  Oh, Tara!!!

                  He's BEAUTIFUL!!!

                  Poor baby...it's really odd how the crest at the back of the neck narrows that way!!

                  He looks like he's a real sweetie!!!

                  Good luck with him-from one MBD Mom to another!!
                  Thanks Donna! Good luck with your baby too! He looks a little better now but by the time I got him a lot of damage had already been done unfortunately but when he fires up he is bright orange....soooo handsome! He is a real sweetie too
                  6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
                  2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails
                  1.2.0 Ball Pythons - 1 Pied, 2 Regular

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    These pictures are breaking my heart. MBD is such a terrible disease. Bless you all for helping these poor babies.

                    My garg is in great health, but my rescue beardie came to me with MBD as well as a host of other health problems.

                    It does look a bit different in beardies than it does in geckos, but the general symptoms are similar. In any case, here are a few shots of Budo's early days.

                    Underbite


                    Legs curled at awkward angle


                    Quite often times, this is how he would walk; on the backs of his hands.


                    Very swollen, almost spongey upper limbs


                    Thankfully, it was mild enough to be cured with six months of prescription liquid calc twice daily as well as some helpful exercises to help strengthen his bones. Budo is doing wonderfully now!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      SnakeKeeper-

                      Welcome to the family of MBD reptile parents...it's hard work, but when it gives our beloved babies better health and more years, it's worth it!!!

                      I'm glad that Budo's doing well. He's such a handsome guy!!!

                      +++++

                      THIS is the difference between people who are only in it for the money, and those of us who truly LOVE our scaly kids!!!

                      This is what it's all about.

                      Loving them in spite of what's wrong with them or what they look like, and caring for them from Day One-when we get them-through to the Last Day, when we have to tearfully say good-bye as they leave for the Rainbow Bridge...and beyond...when we look back at all the love, care and hard work...and WE SMILE!
                      Love and Light-
                      Donna

                      "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by samanthajane13 View Post
                        SnakeKeeper-

                        Welcome to the family of MBD reptile parents...it's hard work, but when it gives our beloved babies better health and more years, it's worth it!!!

                        I'm glad that Budo's doing well. He's such a handsome guy!!!

                        +++++

                        THIS is the difference between people who are only in it for the money, and those of us who truly LOVE our scaly kids!!!

                        This is what it's all about.

                        Loving them in spite of what's wrong with them or what they look like, and caring for them from Day One-when we get them-through to the Last Day, when we have to tearfully say good-bye as they leave for the Rainbow Bridge...and beyond...when we look back at all the love, care and hard work...and WE SMILE!
                        Thanks!

                        I agree completely. There are so many reptile-keepers that buy solely from reputable breeders--I myself have purchased most of my snakes and my garg from top-notch breeders, and they are wonderful, but nursing an animal in need back to health is such an amazing experience. Budo has a very special place in my heart, and helping him to my best ability toward recovery has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just a quick thought:

                          Anyone know of any studies that have been done regarding the cause of MBD? It seems as though it may possibly be related to high levels of PTH (Parathyroid Hormone). In which case, there would be many treatment options such as the already established contact with UVB (for vitamin D synthesis and it's hormonal derivatives). Another would be supplementation of some sort with calcitonin, a PTH antagonist, or total removal of the parathyroid gland.

                          K.
                          Kaiden

                          Insect protein-based gecko diet! 28% protein!
                          Black Panther Zoological - also on Facebook

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Panther View Post
                            Just a quick thought:

                            Anyone know of any studies that have been done regarding the cause of MBD? It seems as though it may possibly be related to high levels of PTH (Parathyroid Hormone). In which case, there would be many treatment options such as the already established contact with UVB (for vitamin D synthesis and it's hormonal derivatives). Another would be supplementation of some sort with calcitonin, a PTH antagonist, or total removal of the parathyroid gland.

                            K.
                            Additional UVB radiation and calcium supplements work very well (especially with beardies because these are must-haves in the first place), but only so much of the damage can be undone. Underbites and curled fingers will usually go away with corrected husbandry but any structural damage is permanent. Of course you can keep it from getting worse, but it is ultimately irreversible.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm really glad you put this up here, it is great!
                              Well this is Izzey, she had severe MBD when i found her at a pet store, went into calcium crash, had a seizure, and broke her back. Doing great now, but no way to tell how old she is/was when i got her. Hasn't ever in the five years i've had her gotten above 23g's but she's happy so i am too



                              3.6.12.4 crested geckos!

                              http://www.freewebs.com/alliescresties/index.htm

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X