Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE help! possibly egg bound

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PLEASE help! possibly egg bound

    hi, this is Firestar, my female i've had for almost two years. i ordered her online from someone, (not on here). she has always been a concern. although she has excellent calcium sacs, i have not been able to correct the base-of-the-tail curve, or the kink at the bottom of the tail. she has had different problems along the way. i have never bred her, have always kept her alone because i have been concerned about her health.. she eats cgd 2part, and dusted crickets when i feed them, and she eats calci worms. MOSTLY cgd. those are the only foods i feed her. ever. my concern right now is that she seems filled with eggs. she is very bloated. you can see the eggs. (remember, i have had her since june of 07. she has never been with a male here.) she was gravid when she came, and i have 3 offspring from those eggs. anyway, here are some photos i took, and i would greatly appreciate some feedback on how to help her. THANKS!















    she has been 38 grams recently, but i have not weighed her in a while. I'll check and get back with you. THANKS!
    EDIT: yikes... i weighed her and she's lost weight... 28 grams. i just recently fed the E-fix... am getting ready to do the N-fix, not sure what to do. I'll move her to a smaller cage where i can watch her. ?
    Last edited by marigold; 03-14-2009, 12:23 PM.
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

  • #2
    I wish I could help! Just offering a little support here. My female laid several duds before she'd ever been with a male, I think they're just programmed to lay.

    Can you take her to a herp vet? I *think* the only fix for being eggbound is surgery. I hope I am wrong here. Please keep us posted!
    Madeline
    moonrisegeckos@gmail.com
    Like me on Facebook!
    http://https://www.facebook.com/moonrise.geckos

    Comment


    • #3
      I've never dealt with an egg bound gecko before so I can't offer a ton of advice. I do have one question, though... what temps do you keep her at? If she is around 70 degrees, maybe try increasing her temps up to around 75. Since they breed/lay in spring and summer and generally stop during the winter, maybe a slow increase in temps could encourage her to lay if she is intentionally holding back her eggs.
      Kevin and Steph
      http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
      Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

      Comment


      • #4
        I recently tried to save an eggbound female I found at a local petstore. 16 undeveloped eggs were surgically removed from her 18g body. Although she fared well for about a couple of weeks afterwards, she didn't make it when she stopped eating. Now, don't lose hope, because this gecko that I was working with was severely malnourished to the point of starvation. Yours looks healthy besides the eggbound nature. I think surgery is your best chance. The eggs are probably undeveloped and have hardened into kernel like structures that can not easily be passed.

        This a picture of the eggs which were removed from the poor little female I tried to save:


        Good luck for you and your gecko! She's a pretty one. I think she is quite capable of being saved. Hope all goes well for you.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks so much for your replies! ShadowKorin, that photo is amazing! when i look at her abdomen, it looks like two formed eggs... does egg binding cause lack of appetite? i am concerned that she has lost weight. i will call our vet... yikes, i hope they know what they're doing...
          5.7.15.4 crested geckos
          2 corn snakes
          2 labs

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kbsdsad View Post
            I've never dealt with an egg bound gecko before so I can't offer a ton of advice. I do have one question, though... what temps do you keep her at? If she is around 70 degrees, maybe try increasing her temps up to around 75. Since they breed/lay in spring and summer and generally stop during the winter, maybe a slow increase in temps could encourage her to lay if she is intentionally holding back her eggs.
            i hadn't thought of the temp thing regarding laying! she is right at 69-70 degrees. i will up those temps. can egg binding cause loss of appetite? thanks,
            5.7.15.4 crested geckos
            2 corn snakes
            2 labs

            Comment


            • #7
              My question to you, is how long have you noticed she had eggs? I know last season when my girls were thin,normal, they showed eggs a couple of weeks before they layed. Humm thinking about it, it was also much warmer. 75-80. I would think also being a cold blooded, that the eggs would take longer to develop, this season, the girl that use to be every three weeks, is once a month. but the temp is more in the low 70's. Upping the temperature sounds like a very good plan.

              One of my girls last season also was not eating, it was her first breeding season and I had to hand feed her until fall! luckly this season she is a happy fatty and I don't have to do any thing.
              Roxanne
              and the zoo
              www.geckoluv.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Have you tried a warm sauna soak? Sometimes that can help encourage things. When was the last time she actually laid?
                I hear that yes, they can lose appetite from being eggbound, and one of my girls stops eating about two days before she lays her eggs.

                I would try the warm soak and make a vet appointment as well.
                Also, Metronidazole can be hard on developing embryos, so if she had the E fix while gravid, the embryos may have died or deformed in the eggs inside her????
                (Just thinking this is a possibility)

                Have you had a fecal run on her since she's been with you?
                Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm sorry I have no helpful advise, but I wish you and her the best of luck. Please keep us updated.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Poor thing. I hope she lays for you. Does she dig around in the lay box at all? I'd like to see if increasing the temperature has done anything. ::sending good thoughts::

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rhatfield View Post
                      My question to you, is how long have you noticed she had eggs? I know last season when my girls were thin,normal, they showed eggs a couple of weeks before they layed. Humm thinking about it, it was also much warmer. 75-80. I would think also being a cold blooded, that the eggs would take longer to develop, this season, the girl that use to be every three weeks, is once a month. but the temp is more in the low 70's. Upping the temperature sounds like a very good plan.

                      One of my girls last season also was not eating, it was her first breeding season and I had to hand feed her until fall! luckly this season she is a happy fatty and I don't have to do any thing.
                      Roxanne, i just need to get all my cages warmer. it is just a problem up north, here. my cages that have red lights on them are thriving. i am learning that females need to be kept warm. i wish my house could have a separate room that could be kept at 78 or something.

                      i think my girl has been gravid for a while. just not this out of proportion. she'll be moved tonight. I think i should let her try at warmer temps to lay, then take her in if she does not. how does that sound?

                      thanks for your input!
                      5.7.15.4 crested geckos
                      2 corn snakes
                      2 labs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's pretty cold here in Oregon too. I keep my little ones in a small bathroom with the door closed and they stay about ten degrees warmer in there. Would that work for you?
                        Madeline
                        moonrisegeckos@gmail.com
                        Like me on Facebook!
                        http://https://www.facebook.com/moonrise.geckos

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We have had a cresty in the past which was eggbound, the vet drained the eggs with a syringe and she passed them ok. Good luck
                          www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
                          11.20. ? - R. ciliatus.
                          2.2.1 - R. chahoua.
                          2.2. - R sarasinorum.
                          1.5 - R auriculatus.
                          1.1 - R. leachianus leachianus Mt Kogis.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sarasin View Post
                            We have had a cresty in the past which was eggbound, the vet drained the eggs with a syringe and she passed them ok. Good luck
                            i like that idea!
                            5.7.15.4 crested geckos
                            2 corn snakes
                            2 labs

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MoonriseGeckos View Post
                              It's pretty cold here in Oregon too. I keep my little ones in a small bathroom with the door closed and they stay about ten degrees warmer in there. Would that work for you?
                              i kept about 8 geckos in a small bathroom this winter, and that worked pretty well... i'd like to just make it my rep room!
                              5.7.15.4 crested geckos
                              2 corn snakes
                              2 labs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X