Humidity for hatchlings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity for hatchlings?

My hatchlings are having horrible shedding problems. This usually occurs on their second shed at around 2 months. They are getting it on their back legs, and it ends up cutting off their ability to use it, and they end up dying. The humidity is at 95, and air flow is minimal. What could be the problem? Why aren't they shedding properly? Its times like these I relize I am still very much a beginner.

with that high of humidity i wouldnt blame the shedding for the deaths but rather resporatory distress. stale humid air is not what is good for juvies.
    kep it at 50% humidity with a misting at least once a day. that would be your best bet.
    http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7...fbba61fvt1.gif
    www.world-reptiles.com

Comment

so it is too high? I have my adults at 50%, but I thought babies needed it a lot more humid. How can too much humidity be bad for their shedding? Thanks Max Power.

Comment

Palex, could you describe how your babies are set up?

I keep my guys in Kritter Keepers, paper towel substrate, PVC branch, silk leaves, and they are sprayed 2x a day. (Once when I wake up, once before bed.)
        ~Sarah~
        www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

I keep mine in small rubbermaids, with lots of silk plants and paper towel substrate. I am misting 2x a day also. I do not have much ventilation in the rubbermaids though.

Comment

I would definitely take steps to increase ventilation. When you have a ton of humidity, it's a breeding ground for bacteria which could be making your geckos sick. Adding more holes or switching over to a container with a "breathable" lid should help.

Good luck!
            ~Sarah~
            www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

http://acreptiles.com/cages_RhacSystems_baby.htm
              I am thinking of ordering this to help solve the problem.Any opinions? thanks
              For now, I have a new critter keeper I can keep the hatchling in. THanks

Comment

the biggest problem with those style of racks is that cresteds climb and what happens when i dont see that little one on the celing at the back and u pull the rack out to fast. its not uncommon to lose one thai way
                http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7...fbba61fvt1.gif
                www.world-reptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by palex134
                  http://acreptiles.com/cages_RhacSystems_baby.htm
                  I am thinking of ordering this to help solve the problem.Any opinions? thanks
                  For now, I have a new critter keeper I can keep the hatchling in. THanks
                  Originally posted by max power
                  the biggest problem with those style of racks is that cresteds climb and what happens when i dont see that little one on the celing at the back and u pull the rack out to fast. its not uncommon to lose one thai way
                  I have been using the Doug Barr racks that Palex mentioned for the better part of a year now, and have had no issues with hatchlings getting caught or adults being injured in the larger racks. I like them.
                  ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
                  President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Comment

I use the ac racks and have never had a death or problem.

Palex I think the reason your animals are dying is because you don't have enough air flow my reptile room relative humidity is 20 right now and all I do is mist them all down (fairly heavy) every night and they all do well.
                    Derek Dunlop
                    DDReptiles
                    www.DDReptiles.net
                    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

whenever I dont mist, all the hatchlings would dry up and they would loose the ability to walk and move properly. When my humidity is at 90, they could all move and function, but at 50-60 they cant walk and fall everywhere. I usually crack the door to my herproom a bit. Maybe putting a small fan in there wouldnt be a bad idea, just to move the air a bit more. Thanks

Comment

tell me... when your hatchling gets stuck in shed. do you pull it off? or leave it on? usually when i see i have a gecko in shed, and it hasnt finished in a day, i pull it off, as to avoid problems. i would definitely give them a bit more ventilation.

Comment

oh I pull it off, but sometimes there is so much, and it was happening to all my hatchlings. and its always around the legs.

Comment

If i were you besides providing more ventalation, just keep your cresteds at room temperature... Modern day houses have a built in humidifier in their heating or air conditioner units..Don't worry to much about humidity for their not satanics or anything concontrate on misting, temps and ventalation....good luck
                            3:5:3 Cresteds
                            1:1 RED Hypo Nephrurus Levis Levis
                            1:1 Striped Patternless Fattails

Comment

One thing I don't think anyone mentioned is that if you don't have anything of a coarse texture like corkbark or something they may not be able to rip the shed off of them selves well enought to get out of it.
                              -Eli
                              "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Comment

Working...
                              X