Agghhhhhh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agghhhhhh!!!

Ok, wanted breeders opinions on this...and definately Dr. Alan's.

Ok, here's the deal...I give my cresties a good variety of food...CGD or Clarks...fruit, calcium dusted crickets.

However, I just got back from the vet and my favorite female (my best eater, I might add) apparently has a calcium deficiency (I'll be the first to admit I can't spell).

Ok, so...what am I doing wrong? I've been keeping cresties a few years now, and this is the first problem I've had w/calcium. All of my other cresteds are healthy.

The vet thinks it may be lack of a UVA/UVB full spectrum light. Could this be the problem? I got into cresteds partially b/c they 'supposedly' don't need UV bulbs.

So, what is the consensus? Do you guys use bulbs just to be safe, or what?

The vet thinks both of her back legs are fractured from it...and I only noticed a problem with her last Friday (less than a week ago). So...could this really be the reason for all this mess? He gave me Lactulose (b/c she's slightly constipated), liquid calcium suppliment, and shots to inject in her back legs every day for a week (Baytril). She's probably constipated b/c she hasn't been moving around much...and I think the injections are an antibiotic???

Anywho...seems like a crazy mess. I have a spare UV light, so I'm going to put that on her to see if it helps...and I'm making her some homemade applesauce for her as we speak (her fav). Her appetite hasn't been any different lately...she is still eating well...she also hasn't lost any weight in the last month.

Sorry to write such a book, but I'm just concerned about ALL my geckos now. If the lack of a UV bulb is truly the cause, then I'll need to get lamps for all my cages (OUCH!!). It'll hurt my bank account, but it's better than anyone else getting sick. Poor Peanut bit me and the vet....something she's never done. She's the most good natured, gentle crested I have.

Oh, on a side note...I got videotaped at the vet...apparently he was intrigued by my geckos (took Little Monster w/me too for him to have something to compare Peanut to). I thought it was funny. He's not familiar w/cresteds in particular, but overall seems to be a good herp vet.
    Yes, absolutely!! I have one on all my cresteds.
    19.05%
    Yes, on some of my cresteds, but not all of them.
    9.52%
    Not yet, but I plan to in the near future.
    4.76%
    Heck no, are you crazy?
    66.67%
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Ok, so really I want everyone's opinions...not just breeders...who uses UV bulbs???

Comment

I have never used UVB with my cresteds but I think it is benificial if there is a slight calcium problem and it also allows for a greater margin of error with supplementation.

A couple of questions for you, do you have a calcium powder that contains d3? Does the calicium supplement also contain phosphorous?
      Do you add the supplement to the baby food as well as the crickets?

Comment

The calcium powder I use has no phosphorous in it. Just straight calcium carbonate. I took the calcium suppliment to the vet w/me and he said there wasn't anything wrong w/it. The name brand of it is Jurassi Cal. I use it particularly b/c it has only calcium carbonate in it.

I usually just dust the crickets...EXCEPT for my females that are laying eggs...with them I add the calcium to their cgd/fruit blends as well.

Comment

Yeah they are definitely going to need UVB if the calcium you are using doesn't contain d3 which they need to metabolize the calcium. The UVB essentially allows them to make their own vitamin d3 without it the calcium passes right through them unused. But at least for the time being pick up a supplement with D3.
          Last edited by Matthew Parks; 12-13-2005, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I do use UVA/UVB lights on my cresteds. Not for any particular reason, as I have never had a calcium problem with any of them. I simply had a few I wasn't using and decided to put them to use. I honestly don't know if they really help that much though. They don't emit much UVA/UVB, and the ultra violet light is only emited during like the first month or so of the bulbs life. Besides, UV light helps the body create D3, not calcium directly. So you would still have to have a good source of calcium to put all that D3 to use.

I personally dust my crested crickets with a calcium, D3, and phosphorus supplement. Then in their fruit diet (whether it be Clarks, T-rex, or fresh fruit puree) I add some calcium carbonate. You cannot give your Crested too much calcium, only too much D3. So don't be afraid to add more calcium to her diet.

As for the Baytril injections, I thought that was a little odd when I read it. It is an antibiotic, and I can't figure out why it would be used on a fractured leg. (Maybe to prevent an infection from forming? Dr. Alan will have to answer that for you!)

Good luck with her. And just be glad you caught the problem before she had a serious calcium crash. I'm sure you'll have her all better in no time!
            - Nicole -

Please visit http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/ for more information on Aplastic Anemia

Comment

Originally posted by crestedgeckogirly
              Ok, wanted breeders opinions on this...and definately Dr. Alan's.

Ok, here's the deal...I give my cresties a good variety of food...CGD or Clarks...fruit, calcium dusted crickets.

However, I just got back from the vet and my favorite female (my best eater, I might add) apparently has a calcium deficiency (I'll be the first to admit I can't spell).

Ok, so...what am I doing wrong? I've been keeping cresties a few years now, and this is the first problem I've had w/calcium. All of my other cresteds are healthy.

The vet thinks it may be lack of a UVA/UVB full spectrum light. Could this be the problem? I got into cresteds partially b/c they 'supposedly' don't need UV bulbs.

So, what is the consensus? Do you guys use bulbs just to be safe, or what?

The vet thinks both of her back legs are fractured from it...and I only noticed a problem with her last Friday (less than a week ago). So...could this really be the reason for all this mess? He gave me Lactulose (b/c she's slightly constipated), liquid calcium suppliment, and shots to inject in her back legs every day for a week (Baytril). She's probably constipated b/c she hasn't been moving around much...and I think the injections are an antibiotic???

Anywho...seems like a crazy mess. I have a spare UV light, so I'm going to put that on her to see if it helps...and I'm making her some homemade applesauce for her as we speak (her fav). Her appetite hasn't been any different lately...she is still eating well...she also hasn't lost any weight in the last month.

Sorry to write such a book, but I'm just concerned about ALL my geckos now. If the lack of a UV bulb is truly the cause, then I'll need to get lamps for all my cages (OUCH!!). It'll hurt my bank account, but it's better than anyone else getting sick. Poor Peanut bit me and the vet....something she's never done. She's the most good natured, gentle crested I have.

Oh, on a side note...I got videotaped at the vet...apparently he was intrigued by my geckos (took Little Monster w/me too for him to have something to compare Peanut to). I thought it was funny. He's not familiar w/cresteds in particular, but overall seems to be a good herp vet.
              I dunno, Girly. I don't use any UV lights on the geckos (ciliatus, auriculatus, sarasinorum, chahoua, G. luii, L. lugubris, P. picta) and so far - knock wood - no problems. The carnivores get dusted crickets or well-fed roaches, but the Rhacs get CCG or GGD mixed with Clark's diet; sometimes mixed with fruit yogurt or fruit sauce for variety, and not a whole lot in the way of insects; at least not on a regular scheduled basis. I will say that when I give the Rhacs (or the others) insects, I prefer dusting the bugs with T-Rex Leopard Gecko Dust.
              ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
              President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Comment

I've got some Reptivite, and Reptical upstairs that I use for my frogs...I'll switch to it for the time being. I know it has D3 in it.

I was just relying on the CGD to have enough D3 in it...I didn't want to give too much of it. Apparently she must not have been getting enough D3. At least, that's what sounds like the problem was.

I have her under a UVA/UVB light now. Hopefully she'll improve here soon. She seemed to really like the homemade applesauce I made for her. My Dad got upset b/c he loves homemade applesauce...so got all excited before he realized I was making it for the gecko...lol.

Thanks for the input. Hey, Dr. Alan...would you give a crested antibiotic injections if it had a fractured leg? Just curious.

Thanks again!!

-Andrea

Comment

I don't use any UVB

I supplement all my crickets and stuff with the Rep-Cal Herptivite and the Rep-Cal Calcium dust with D3.
                  Derek Dunlop
                  DDReptiles
                  www.DDReptiles.net
                  Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Originally posted by crestedgeckogirly
                    Thanks for the input. Hey, Dr. Alan...would you give a crested antibiotic injections if it had a fractured leg? Just curious.
                    I wouldn't, but there may be a reason he wants you to do that. What is the dose?
                    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
                    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Comment

I don't use UVB. Sorry your having problems.
                      ~Kimmy
                      3.2 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Creamsicle Corn Snake, 1.1 Felines

Comment

All right...just a quick update. Peanut seems to be improving...slowly. I've got her under a full spectrum light 12 hrs a day...and I've been giving her the meds everday. I've also been soaking her in warm water at night to help her constipation and also for her legs.

She seems to be enjoying the pampering. Loves that applesauce. She did FINALLY poop last night, so that's a very good sign. Never been so happy to be pooped on...ROTFLMAO.

She's such a sweetie, I'm so relieved that she seems to be pulling through.

Thanks for all the support and advise everyone!! *hugs*

I'll be sure to keep you updated on how she's fairing.

Oh...Dr. Alan...I've got a question for you...this isn't a huge priority...but I'm just curious...do you think I'll be able to breed her again in the future? Or should I just plan on her being a spoiled little pet? I'm more concerned w/her health than anything...and would be just fine w/not breeding her anymore. Just curious of your thoughts.

Thanks guys,

-Andrea

Comment

Working...
                        X