Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg-laying Female Weight Management

Hello,

I’m breeding for the first time this season and all is going wonderfully but after my girl’s last weigh in I have a question.

My breeding female started the season at 33 grams (tailless) and with good calcium stores. Her weight fluctuates with egg production and laying of course but she has now dropped to 28 grams. This weight was one day after laying her 3rd clutch. Her calcium glands are still looking good.

She is housed alone and eats CGD as her staple. Usually she won’t touch bugs but actually accepted dubia roaches (calcium without d3 dusted) the other night so it looks like those are possible now.

So, just how much weight is normal to lose over the laying season? Is there anything I can add to her diet to help her weight and keep her healthy?

I’ve heard of adding bananas or apple juice but not sure if this is correct or how often would be appropriate.

Thank you!
    4.1.1.4 (Crested Geckos)
    Castiel, Fergus, Sam, Dean, Rowena, Claire

It's hard for females to build up weight when they're also producing eggs, not just because energy is going into the eggs, but because they have very little room in their stomachs because the eggs take up so much room in their bellies. Just keep providing nutritious food for her and let her eat as much of it as she wants. If you usually feed your adults every other day, start feeding her as much as she will consume every day. Don't give her any more fruit treats than normal -- she needs lots of protein and calcium when she's producing eggs, too.

This weight loss is one of the reasons why it's good to have a cooling period for females. Egg laying can be hard on them.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Originally posted by Treebiscuit View Post
      It's hard for females to build up weight when they're also producing eggs, not just because energy is going into the eggs, but because they have very little room in their stomachs because the eggs take up so much room in their bellies. Just keep providing nutritious food for her and let her eat as much of it as she wants. If you usually feed your adults every other day, start feeding her as much as she will consume every day. Don't give her any more fruit treats than normal -- she needs lots of protein and calcium when she's producing eggs, too.

This weight loss is one of the reasons why it's good to have a cooling period for females. Egg laying can be hard on them.

Thank you!

I’ll continue to offer dubia on occasion then rather than fruit and keep her normal food coming daily. She’ll certainly have a cooling period

oh, and because I’m excited I have to add: The first clutch hatched! One was stillborn which is very sad but the other popped out healthy and active! She (‘she’ for now anyway because I’m calling her Claire lol) is set up and doing well.
      4.1.1.4 (Crested Geckos)

Comment

https://i.imgur.com/NWTMPyi.jpg
        Last edited by VagrantQueen; 06-24-2020, 08:02 PM. Reason: Having some trouble uploading a pic on mobile. Not sure if this will work.
        4.1.1.4 (Crested Geckos)

Comment

Cute little gecklet! It has a big tail pad, which is a good sign of health.
          3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Working...
          X