Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible mites?

Hi,

This is my first time to the forum, hoping to get some advice!

This is a bit of a weird one. So I have a hamster that has unfortunately picked up bird mites from some bedding I bought. If anyone has experience of bird mites you will know they are a NIGHTMARE. I never saw any of these mites on any of the geckos, but during my extermination over the last few days I disinfected the terrariums anyway, threw away everything and have them in a temporary reduced setup. I haven't treated the cresties with anything yet and not sure what I would treat them with if I did? But haven't been too worried since I hadn't spotted any mites in there anyway. So now I'm mega paranoid, and worried about them picking up these mites, and I noticed this evening a few spots I don't think I have seen before (pic attached). Could anyone tell me if you think all of these are normal spots, or possible mites?

Thanks!

These look like normal dalmation spots to me. This crestie may develop more spots as he or she gets older.

If you have disinfected everything with the hamster and the geckos, and are conscientious about washing your hands between handling both, you will probably be just fine. Are they kept in separate rooms?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That's a relief, I've never had any mite issues with reptiles before so wasn't sure what that would look like! They were in the same room, and the mites had even migrated to the carpet which was why I was concerned, but they have since been separated, and I'll keep them separate from now on.

Comment

Agreed, dal spots.
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

If you later feel that you still have a problem, you can try Provent-a-Mite: https://www.amazon.com/ProProducts-P...2313277&sr=8-4 . But the spots your gecko has now I believe are just dalmation spots.
          Eileen
          TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
          Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
          X