Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Cresties!

I am in love with my new little ones!

This is the bigger one that I got from Sundial Reptile... The first pic is the pic that was on their website and the rest are the ones I took tonight. It's amazing how different his coloration is now... I know they change colors and "fire up" and all, but it's still hard to believe it's the same gecko. Not that I am doubting Sundial's integrity at ALL, by the way. Plus the markings match perfectly.

And here is its enclosure. My BF and I had a ton of fun decorating it tonight and I love how it turned out although the pics don't really do it justice. By the way, just so no one wastes their breath, there's no danger of him ingesting that substrate because I have him on CGD (which he's been readily eating). I only plan to feed him crickets once a week or so in a different enclosure with paper towel substrate.

Lastly, here is the LITTLE baby. He is red right now but I understand that most Cresties are red as babies... I'm not really after a certain color so it'll be fun to see how he turns out. I'm just keeping him in a tub for now since he's so tiny.

Anyway, thanks for looking. And I'm curious to know why the bigger one hasn't shown me his darker colors yet. He was described as a "darkfire" but he looks so light. Isn't it good that he's light since it's supposed to mean he's not overly stressed?
    1.3.1 Ball Pythons, 1.0.0 Black Roughneck Monitor, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 1.1.0 Burmese Pythons, 0.0.2 Crested Geckos, 0.0.1 Desert Horned Lizard, 0.0.2 Savannah Monitors, 1.0.3 Sulcata Tortoises

hi, i'm new too, so i don't know anymore than you do... but i think you have two nice geckos! the boy will probably fire up to be the darker colors soon. maybe he is going to shed... that always makes them look pastel. our geckos both shed soon after we brought them home. i wonder if stress can cause shedding?
    where did you get that awesome cage??? that's just what i would like.
    good luck with them!
    marigold
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Comment

Nice cresties! I really like the colors on the first one. He is just chilling, so don't worry about the colors showing. He is NOT stressed when he isn't fired up, so it is somewhat a good thing.

Marigold, I don't believe stress will cause shedding. It is something that happens naturally, they don't choose when, and stress while shedding can be bad on the geckos, as that will EXTREMELY stress them out. If that made no since at all, I'm sorry..lol

That tank, I do believe, comes from Reptile Depot. It is the Crested Gecko Tank they have. I bought one recently. Nice tank.
      3.6.3 Crested Geckos
      0.0.1 Bearded dragon
      0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
      0.0.1 Axolotl
      1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
      Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Comment

Originally posted by marigold View Post
        where did you get that awesome cage??? that's just what i would like.
        good luck with them!
        marigold
        I got it from http://sandfiredragonranch.com/products/index.html. I ordered it on Tuesday and they got it to me yesterday (Friday) so I really recommend getting it from there. Plus if you pay $10 extra they give you all of this cool free stuff with it.

Nice cresties! I really like the colors on the first one. He is just chilling, so don't worry about the colors showing. He is NOT stressed when he isn't fired up, so it is somewhat a good thing.
        Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

Oh, and look how I caught him sleeping this morning... I thought it was too cute so I'm glad I took pictures.

1.3.1 Ball Pythons, 1.0.0 Black Roughneck Monitor, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 1.1.0 Burmese Pythons, 0.0.2 Crested Geckos, 0.0.1 Desert Horned Lizard, 0.0.2 Savannah Monitors, 1.0.3 Sulcata Tortoises

Comment

Most cresties will fire up at night after all the lights have gone down. They are not "stressed" every night. I don't know what makes them do it, but just because they're fired doesn't mean they are stressed.

Regarding the first picture - I doubt you'll really see the bright bright red. Almost every time I have seen a gecko with that type of shading in a photo, it's simply a photography thing. Lighting and a flash will bring out any hint of red, but to the naked eye they often look quite different.
          A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

oh, my goodness! is he hanging by his tail? that is so amazing! my geckos hide when they sleep, so i don't get "close-ups" of them sleeping. obviously they can't close their eyes when asleep... how can you tell that they are, indeed, asleep?
            just wondering,
            marigold
            5.7.15.4 crested geckos
            2 corn snakes
            2 labs

Comment

Originally posted by IndyCrestie View Post
              Most cresties will fire up at night after all the lights have gone down. They are not "stressed" every night. I don't know what makes them do it, but just because they're fired doesn't mean they are stressed.

Regarding the first picture - I doubt you'll really see the bright bright red. Almost every time I have seen a gecko with that type of shading in a photo, it's simply a photography thing. Lighting and a flash will bring out any hint of red, but to the naked eye they often look quite different.
              That's what's confusing me, though... The fact that he was described as a "darkfire" and since I've gotten him he doesn't fit that description, whether I'm just looking at him or taking pictures. I haven't seen a hint of red yet. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the "darkfire" thing and it has nothing to do with red even though he looked VERY red on the website?

I think it's beautiful anyway but all of this morph & color stuff has turned out to be way more confusing than I originally thought.

Comment

Originally posted by marigold View Post
                oh, my goodness! is he hanging by his tail? that is so amazing! my geckos hide when they sleep, so i don't get "close-ups" of them sleeping. obviously they can't close their eyes when asleep... how can you tell that they are, indeed, asleep?
                just wondering,
                marigold
                Yeah, he was hanging by his tail and back legs when I woke up, which surprised me to say the least.

And now that you mention it, I guess I'm not SURE that he was sleeping. I just assumed so because he was very still and didn't look around at all while I was taking pictures. It's possible he was just hanging upside down for fun.

Comment

he's nice looking

fire.. is a type of markings..

and dark is probably bc he looks like he would get dark when he's fired up....

i have ones that go from a pale pink to a BRIGHT brick red.. at nite..
                  Becky
                  Crested Gecko 8.6.14
                  Gargoyle Gecko 1.1.0
                  Chahoua gecko 0.0.1
                  Bearded dragons 1.2.0
                  Hybrid 0.0.1
                  Leos 0.1.4
                  Dogs 1.1
                  Cats 1.4

Comment

Originally posted by OlympianAB View Post
                    he's nice looking

fire.. is a type of markings..

and dark is probably bc he looks like he would get dark when he's fired up....

i have ones that go from a pale pink to a BRIGHT brick red.. at nite..
                    Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense.

Comment

Nice new cresties..............they are so much fun.

I love the picture of him hanging by his tail.........they look like little monkeys when they do that...........lol.

It looks like you have everything under control.........have fun and post lost of pictures!!

Comment

Working...
                      X