• Show
Clear All

• A game of "Spot The Gecko!"

This is what Quin has resorted to....

~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Hey Faa Faa,
    Good one! One of my juvies does this so I am somewhat experienced at spotting gecko parts in out if context places.
    4.24.0 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Comment

Turns out the humidity is a little off, so I'm guessing that why she is doing this. I only have one digital thermometer/hydrometer and it was in the baby's cage. I forgot to take into account the drying effects of the furnace...woops. So everyone got a sauna today and extra mistings from now on. It is amazing how quickly the humidity can go screwy. I really need to get thermometer/hydrometer combos in all the tanks.
      ~JEN~

Comment

I was wondering if you kept a water level in your hydroton/silica substrate. I read somewhere that if you are able to maintain a water level there, it keeps the humidity a little more constant and the balls don't dry out, causing them to pull water from the soil. I suppose the alternative could be to increase the humidity level of your furnace if you are able.
        4.24.0 Crested Geckos
        0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

I'm still VERY new to the planted cages. I put the geckos in them on November 2nd. So are you saying I should be able to see the water in my drainage layer?
          ~JEN~

Comment

I spotted a gecko tail! Our Quinn is always hiding under his favorite rock cave whenever I need him. Best $4 I ever spent, apparently!

Our furnace sucks the moisture right out of the gecko tanks too. I feel like I'm saturating them only to have them be dry by morning. I may have to start misting a bit in the morning, too.
            1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
            1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
            1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
            1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
            iherp.com/sarahberry

Comment

I'm thinking that morning mistings might be a good idea here too!
              ~JEN~

Comment

I read that to keep up humidity levels and good plant growth, there should be about 1/4-1/2 inches of water in the drainage layer. If more water does happen to fall into the drainage layer, you want to make sure it does not touch the substrate layer, or rise to less han 1/2 inches below the substrate layer. If it does reach the substrate layer, you'll need to manually drain the excess water.
                Since I dried out my hydroton layer not so long ago, I now monitor my drainage layer regularly, and keep about an inch of water in it. This is easier to see than 1/4 or even 1/2 layer without taking out my microscope ( old age I guess ) Oh..I need to add that I have at least 2 inches of hydroton in all my vivariums and I sometimes have a 5 inch level because I use the hydroton for 'sloping' my vivarium terrain. I get it from a hydroponic store for $1/L (4 cups) so it is definitely cheaper that buying ABG mix or making more viv. mix...
                4.24.0 Crested Geckos
                0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Working...
                X