My New Little Lady!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Little Lady!

I went and picked up my first ever female gecko today! Got her from TGS Cresties in Olympia, WA. They held her for me for over a month until I could make some room for her, and I FINALLY got to bring her home today! I'm so excited, she's beautiful and I absolutely adore her. She's none to happy with me at the moment, there was lots of tail shaking while I weighed her and put her into her new home, but she settled into the back corner for a nap fairly quickly. I didn't get GREAT pictures because I didn't want to stress her but I had to take a few, I was just too excited. She's 3 years old, 42 grams, and the gal said she normally fires up sort of a brindle-y olive color.

Everyone, meet Ellie!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-15 16.09.54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1087038

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-15 16.10.07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1087039
    1.1 Dogs (Luke & Lily)
    1.0 Cat (Parker)
    1.1.0.2 Crested Geckos (Emerson & Ellie)
    0.1 Mississippi Map Turtle (Orville)
    Various African Cichlids
    1.0 Husband

Congrats on the new addition!

Comment

I LOVE her!
      God bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
      0.2.3 Crested Gecko
      3.3 Ball pythons various morphs
      1.0 Thayeri Kingsnake
      1.0 Hog Island Boa
      0.1 Whites tree Frog

Comment

Thank you! She is nooooot happy with me just yet, she's VERY skittish any time I fuss in or around the tank. She hung off the ceiling gaping at me yesterday. Neither of my boys were this bad when I brought them home. Does she just have a different personality or is it possible she's extra stressed because she's gravid? She was bred to a male earlier this year and it is my understanding that they were tank mates up until I picked her up Monday.
        1.1 Dogs (Luke & Lily)
        1.0 Cat (Parker)
        Various African Cichlids
        1.0 Husband

Comment

If you got her two days ago, I would guess the skittishness you are seeing has to do with her adjusting. Reptiles sometimes take a few weeks to adjust to a new home.

I doubt she's extra stressed just because she's a female and is possibly gravid. Most of my laid back females are even sweeter when they are egg heavy. Each gecko is more of an individual, no gender/temperament correlations have been made yet as far as I know. I've owned some crazy males and females, and sweet, laid-back males and females.
          Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

She is so pretty! Congratulations on her!
            ~JEN~
            0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
            1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Comment

Update: She laid eggs for me yesterday morning! I've never dealt with eggs before, but after looking at some pictures online I think they're fertile. I'm not seeing a cheerio just yet (I read it takes up to a week to spot it if you're a novice) but there are definitely a large red vein going along the side of each egg. I don't know if they're well-calcified or not, they have rough patches on them and one is "squishier" than the other.

I was worried she was lacking calcium because her tail looked a little wavy and her sacs were non-existent, but I was told that may just be the result of dehydration and being mid-season. I gave her a cap of calcium powder and she's been eating it, so I'm excited about that! She's been hiding a lot but I don't blame her, she's had a stressful week.

Tonight we're going to try crickets for the first time (no idea if she's had any before) but I'm also gut loading them for the first time ever. I gave the crickets the old CGD from both gecko tanks and they LOVE it! I spent half an hour watching them all eat, it was fascinating. I'm seeing crickets in a whole new light, they're almost cute!

All in all, she's doing great, and I'm loving having her!
              1.1 Dogs (Luke & Lily)
              1.0 Cat (Parker)
              Various African Cichlids
              1.0 Husband

Comment

Working...
              X