Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the largest on record crested gecko? See Video...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the largest on record crested gecko? See Video...

I have heard stories of big ones. Allen told me he had one that was around 70. I remember seeing a post about it many years ago. Whats the biggest anyone has proven to date? I posted a video (link below) of a female, during cooling at 74 grams. She is in the low 80's during season.
    Would love to hear others stories.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ox2mx-7U4

You can use the search function on the forum to look, there are a couple threads with very large cresties on there.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

What key words did you search for? I tried that, but wasnt using the right word combo I am guessing

Comment

Wow, she's big!!!

My biggest is 64g last month. She is not as big as yours, but I see the potential! Lavander loves her CGD

Roxanne (rhatfield) has some chunkers that may be closer to yours.
        Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
        5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"

Comment

I am uploading another video now, I went back downstairs and put a quarter on her head, you can still fit a nickle beside it I also took video while weight on 7 other geckos. They are as follows:

Female Breeder "cooling" 58 grams
          Female Breeder "cooling" - no tail 50 grams
          Male Breeder "cooling" -46 grams
          Female Breeder "cooling" no tail 62 grams
          Male Breeder "cooling" no tail 56 grams
          Juvenile 7 months old female 32 grams
          Juvenile 8 months old female 40 grams

I will post the link once it is uploaded.

Comment

I dont use Clarks any more, in ads I sometimes describe it as that to make it shorter and easier to explain. I formulated my own diet for personal use, not distribution. The basics of it are from the Clarks formuls, but mine has no preservatives, a higher percentage of fruit base, and a higher protein. In total I have 6 added ingredients, and 8 removed ingredients from their formula.

I always used CGD and non sugar baby food instead of water, and crickets dusted every other day. Now I use my diet and water, along with the crickets. It has worked rather well for me and my geckos. No loose stools, no fruit flies, no funky smells. Alot of my cages are stained from the poos that used to run down the screen........Solid poos are good

The name rings a bell, either I have purchased from her, or vice versa. I hope she posts hers.

Very pretty Lavender you have there I sold my Lavender Harem to Vicki at Big Fat Geckos- she was shocked at how big the breeders were. That says alot coming from a business with that kinda name

Comment

Originally posted by ReptileAddictions View Post
              I am uploading another video now, I went back downstairs and put a quarter on her head, you can still fit a nickle beside it I also took video while weight on 7 other geckos. They are as follows:

I will post the link once it is uploaded.
              Dang!!! I don't even know what to say!!! Do you have some secret "Incredible Hulk" food you are giving them!?
              Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
              5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"

Comment

I think I was typing and posting what I feed while you were typing and posting that question LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ReptileAddictions View Post
                  I dont use Clarks any more, in ads I sometimes describe it as that to make it shorter and easier to explain. I formulated my own diet for personal use, not distribution. The basics of it are from the Clarks formuls, but mine has no preservatives, a higher percentage of fruit base, and a higher protein. In total I have 6 added ingredients, and 8 removed ingredients from their formula.
                  I have all sorts of problems with this post but I woke up to use the bathroom and now for some reason I am checking email so maybe its better I wait until later this morning to post all I disagree with in this post.

Ahh what the heck why not.

Do the makers of Clarks Diet know you are re tooling their diet? Do they know you are advertising you feed your geckos the "improved" Clarks Diet even though it is really you adding and subtracting whatever you please from their diet? I see in this for sale ad you posted you say you are feeding "improved" Clarks. I'd wager a bet that is false advertising / misrepresenting a product on some level or another. It would be like me putting in a FS ad I am feeding my geckos an "improved" version of Repashy's Crested Gecko Diet.

From your FS ad,
                  http://pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33482
                  Originally posted by ReptileAddictions
                  My adult geckos average 50-76 grams as breeders. More pics avail on request.
                  They are kept in full screen enclosures. Misted 3X a day, feed gutloaded dusted crickets every other day, and a improved version of Clarks Gecko Diet with higher fruit and higer protein- all natural on the other day.
                  Dusted crickets every other day? There is such a thing as bad weight you know. Just because they weight more does not mean they are healthier animals. You want to post about 32 and 40 gram 7 and 8 month females to me that is no indication of diet success or over all health.
                  I always used CGD and non sugar baby food instead of water, and crickets dusted every other day. Now I use my diet and water, along with the crickets. It has worked rather well for me and my geckos.
                  Then to top it all off after re doing the Clarks diet the way you wanted you add baby food.

I see in your video you keep them in all screen cages too, that is not really ideal ether.

I don't have much else to say, I better go to now.

Oh wait one more thing. I am curious. What 8 things did you take out and what 6 things did you put back in? How did you determine what you were taking out? How did you determine what you put back in? What scientific background do you have that qualifies you to tinker with the diet of a reptile?

Ok now I think I am really done this time.
                  http://talkengeckos.com/
                  Online buyer reviews http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...t=talkenlate04
                  http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...t=talkenlate04

Comment

I do want to agree with Talken on one point for now at least, just because a gecko has a lot of weight on it doesn't mean it's a healthy "large" gecko. It can be a fat gecko too. Obese geckos, just like obese people, can have health issues, including trouble with breeding. While she has great head structure, the girl in the vid also has quite a chunky belly area on her and I get worried when I see folks showing off excessively chubby geckos and calling them "large."

Ramanth's Raptor is still the biggest I've heard of, at 83 (plus - his tail was hanging off and touching the table in the pic) grams at the time of these pics, and he appears to have a healthy build, no hangover chub rolls. http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13234

Edit: And yeah, a total of 14 changes to Clark's diet kind of makes it... not Clark's diet anymore. As a moderator I'm going to ask you to either remove the line in your ad or state exactly what you've stated here so there is no false advertising.
                    JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I am with Ryan and JB, big doesnt mean better, and by the video that gecko is far to big. Remember why doctors push about being over weight? Because certain body frames are not meant to be a certain size, it is hard on the bodies, the same goes for all animals. Although your gecko might be 5" from snout to vent, that is still really big for that body frame.

And the problem with making your own diet, you have no research to back it up besides your own which is not really scientific research. The thing about Repashy, he has had labwork done on his product to know the actual nutritional content of his food. And although you are offering a sugar free baby food, the fact is it isnt sugar free, it is no sugar added, big difference. And one of the main issues with Clarks is the fat content, it is mostly sugary fruits in it. And remember not all proteins are created equal, so if you added more protein, what types? Just insects? Mammals? What exactly is your fat content? Protein content? Fiber content? What types of amino acids are in it? What is the percentages of vitamins are in it? DO you have probiotics in it? These are all answers unless you have a lab to run the work on your food you simply can not answer so therefore you can not say with complete truth your food is balanced.

So although your geckos are growing quickly, as stated quick growth isnt a good growth. Packing your reptiles full of an unbalanced diet yes it will get them big, but the main question is are they well maintained on this diet long run.
                      lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                      www.sublimereptiles.com
                      Facebook
                      BOI

Comment

nope brandi, You got my biggest one. I have several chunkers but they are in the fourties with no tail or in the fifties with tails. They are just not big bodied geckos. Just fat. Lavender is looking real nice, may have even trimmed down a bit!!!

I got to agree with the others though, Feeding cricket every other day, seems like alot and would be why your baby girls are so large at such a young age. And that changing that many things in clarks diet, kind of make it something else.

Welcome to pangea though!
                        Last edited by rhatfield; 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM. Reason: opps
                        Roxanne
                        and the zoo
                        www.geckoluv.com

Comment

OKay, let me clear this up before someone sends a lynching squad after me

I have "better" worded my ads.

I am NOT "tinkering" with anyones diet. I used crested gecko commercial diets as my base idea of what to you. For example I have found the Repashy diet to be somewhat runny, in MY opinion it smells funky on day two, attracts fruit flies in my house, and my geckos will eat very little of it.

The clarks diet has a better consistancy, smells less bad to ME, and my geckos would eat more of it.

In the wild there ius no commercial diet available to the geckos, they do in fact eat mostly rippened fruits and wild bugs.

As of the past few years my attempts to purchase large quanaties of gecko diet in a reasonable time frame at a reasonable price have been problematic and unreliable. Not trying to flame anyone, but that is the fact of it.

Based on those 4 above facts I did what others do as a "treat", I made my own recipe. FROM SCRATCH. I will post what I feel is relevant in the recipe later, I do not have my recipe on this computer, and it is not a commercial diet so there is no labeling on my packages here in my freezer. I assure you there is nothing suprising in there. Percentages are easy to figure out based on others research.

The baby food I used to use- I no longer do, was organic- no sugar added. I myself do not eat processed foods, neither does my critters

For example, baby food is commercially packaged- scientists decided what is "healthy" for babies, but mothers still make it from scratch, just like those long before them did. How is it they know what is "healthy"?

It's really not rocket science, not to me anyways. I have had geckos since 2001, have breed since 2002, breed in mass quanity an sold alot online since 2005. How do I know it works? Every gecko I have ever purchased is still alive in my care. The only females that do not breed are ones I personally removed from breeding projects. The breeding adult harems I have sold are still alive and breeding. In fact with the diet change two of the harems I know of produced 12 eggs less each harem last year for their new owner. Was it diet or climate change? Who knows. It works for me I am not saying it would work for everyone, but it works for me and my geckos.

That female video is 5" from snout to vent. She certainly doesnt have any "rolls" and very little under neck bulging. For thge record I have very small hands. From the tip of my middle finger, to the base of my palm is exactly 6" for reference. The other females in video two certainly dont look fat at all.

Their cages are full screen wrapped on 3 sides with plastic. The top and front are exposed screen. The ambient room temp in the day is 73 night drop is 69, during cooling it is 70 and 67. The humidity is 23% unmisted and spikes to the low 90%'s when misted.

I will post again later when I get to my work computer The you tube video is STILL uploading, although I left it to do so all night. Should only be a few minutes.

Have a great day!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BpOpvsZKag

Is the second video I uploaded of other girls and boys.

Comment

Hi there
                              I have question about what your feeding your geckos. If you mixing your own food, how would they be switching over to cgd if you sold any?
                              2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
                              1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
                              1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Comment

Working...
                              X