My First Hatchlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Hatchlings

I am so proud that the first eggs my little Sven laid have hatched and are healthy. They are absolutely adorable. Unfortunately I was out of town when the first one hatched, but my housemate was good enough to be on mama patrol.

Disclaimer: Some of the pictures have baby food in them. Before some of you jump down my throat and send me to the gallows know that all my local petstores were out of CGD and I had been awaiting an order for quite some time.... So COOL IT.

Anyway, on to the good parts. The flame/harly colored one is Salsa, the more tigery-reverse pin is Tango. They were born mid-June.

Cellphone picts me housemate sent me:
    Salsa:

Tango:

Thanks for stopping by.

P.S. I did change them into the larger deli cups from the smaller dixie cup thingies. They did work fine, but I used the small ones with side-splotched lizards in a research lab. But I switched to the larger ones just to be safe. I used vermiculite, and a hovabator.
    16 Cresties 1 Garg
    1 Redtail Boa 1 Mountain King Snake 1 Hognose Snake
    1 German Shepherd
    1 Horse
    2 Cats

Oh, and the parents:
    Mama (Sven):

Papa (Apollo):
    16 Cresties 1 Garg
    1 German Shepherd
    1 Horse
    2 Cats

Comment

Hatchlings are just so cute! Congrats with them!
      The Gex Files.nl - Geckos Of Oceania And More

Our Facebook Page

Comment

Congrats on the babies.

P.S. : Crickets are a much better alternative then baby food and can make an ample of their diet. This would give them better nutrition while you await your order of CDG (which if you order it from Matthew it only take a couple days).
        sigpic
        NOHR669.com Protect your rights! Don't let the bill pass!

Comment

The parents are awsome! Hope the hatchlings turn out nice. Congrads.
          Have faith in me.

Comment

I don't like how you can't say anything on this forum without being told you are wrong.
            16 Cresties 1 Garg
            1 German Shepherd
            1 Horse
            2 Cats

Comment

Originally posted by Trintage View Post
              I don't like how you can't say anything on this forum without being told you are wrong.
              Do you know of a forum where you wouldn't be given excellent advice when the opportunity arose? If so, I'd imagine it would be quite boring and useless. He didn't say you were wrong, just suggesting an additional option since you obviously want the best for your babies and have the CGD on order.
              www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
              Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
              3.9.20+ crested geckos
              Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
              Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

I guess I'm sorry I'm so defensive. It is just that every time I post somehting with excitement, ie eggs or hatchlings or whatever, I am instantly corrected. I didnt want to feed fresh hatchlings crickets because to me that sounds dangerous, and as I already explained, CGD was already on order. I just want to share my first hatchlings with a group of people who actually appreciate these geckos. Everyone has different ways of dealing with problems, and I feel that I have been responsible in my actions, and that my geckos are very well taken care of, and yet I find I cannot post in this forum without being chastised. I agree that advice is important for the better understanding and development and care of our critters, but I also would like to allow my little buggers to be appreciated. I've tried to maintain a happy attitude here, but I feel frustrated nontheless.
                16 Cresties 1 Garg
                1 German Shepherd
                1 Horse
                2 Cats

Comment

Originally posted by Trintage View Post
                  I guess I'm sorry I'm so defensive. It is just that every time I post somehting with excitement, ie eggs or hatchlings or whatever, I am instantly corrected. I didnt want to feed fresh hatchlings crickets because to me that sounds dangerous, and as I already explained, CGD was already on order. I just want to share my first hatchlings with a group of people who actually appreciate these geckos. Everyone has different ways of dealing with problems, and I feel that I have been responsible in my actions, and that my geckos are very well taken care of, and yet I find I cannot post in this forum without being chastised. I agree that advice is important for the better understanding and development and care of our critters, but I also would like to allow my little buggers to be appreciated. I've tried to maintain a happy attitude here, but I feel frustrated nontheless.
                  I'd like to start by saying congrats on such beautiful babies! They kinda look like the parents,,huh? None the less they're georgous and theres nothing like those first hatchlings.

But I don't think James was trying to offend you or tell you that your wrong he was just looking out for your geckos. I think he was just letting you know what would'v been better than babyfood, not to offend you, but to try and help your geckos.

Comment

Trintage,

I think your new babies are gorgeous and the parents look amazing as well! I am new to Cresties, but I put a lot of time into educating myself about them. Nonetheless, I've found that with half the things you say here you have to give a disclaimer of some sort to reassure everyone that you know what you're doing. People often assume the worst instead of just trusting you. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be, considering that if you're ready to be breeding your geckos, you are probably very knowledgeable and shouldn't be questioned. I hope that people will not take offense to what I am saying. I know that correction and advice is needed and often even requested. But the attitude with which this is done should be caring, not condescending.

Also... I agree on your decision to hold off on crickets for now...and I don't really want to get into the baby food debate (especially because you're not even planning on feeding them that for very long), but when did baby food become so tabboo? Before CGD came around that was a staple of a Crested Gecko's diet.

Hope I could make you feel a little better, Trintage.
                    -Chelsea-
                    0.1.0 Crestie named Leila
                    I still only have one! :-o

Comment

Yes, I guess I was being too defensive. I just grow weary of this happening to me, I guess. I don't think I have even talked to James on a forum before.
                      16 Cresties 1 Garg
                      1 German Shepherd
                      1 Horse
                      2 Cats

Comment

Trintage,
                        WOW beautiful babies! i know what you feel like it sucks when someone rains on your parade. i an a new crestie owner almost 2 weeks now. I have 2 males and I can't wait to get babies (Yes I know I have to get females also) My disclaimer. Anyway when i called my mom to tell her about my babies i got a lecture on make sure you know how to take care of them and it is a big responsibility. Great advise if I was a kid I'm not, been quite a few years since I was. No harm was meant by her anymore than here sometimes.

have fun with your babies and I look forward to more pics
                        Sandy
                        7.6.8.0 Crested Gecko 1.1.3 Gargoyle Gecko
                        0.1.0 Pine Island Chahoua 0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
                        My sweet meow meow I miss you!
                        1.0 Painted Turtle Squirt

Comment

congrats on the babies!

who names their geckos after swedish ski instructers? lolz.....sven
                          It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nations’ leaders, and Satan’s minions are considered men of God.

Comment

Wow, they both look great! I'm sure they'll look quite like their parents when they get older. Very nice.
                            ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGECKO

Comment

Beautiful babies! Guess what? You're going to be hooked on breeding now. Congratulations!

Different people use various techniques to raise their hatchlings. You'll find that in the world of reptiles, there is no rock solid single RIGHT way to do almost anything. Breeders in the past have raised their hatchlings on supplemented baby food, others use CGD, still others (such as myself) use an alternating diet of crickets and CGD. Experiment a bit and tweak your methods until you find something that clicks for you and your stock. Each gecko, just like each person, is unique and possesses their own requirements. You know your stock better than anyone else. Take advice with a grain of salt, but be sure to keep an open mind to advice and suggestions. Usually the people who make them have prior knowledge of a subject and only impart their suggestions as a way to prevent people from experiencing their same issues. Most aren't judging, just trying to help.

Congratulations again! Nothing beats seeing new hatchlings!!! Especially your first hatchlings.
                              ~Sarah~
                              www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

Working...
                              X