Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of my crested :)(L)

The Wanted Reptile

Awww I absolutely adore the freckles on his snout!!! Very cute!
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
    Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Comment

Originally posted by NintendoVixen79 View Post
      Awww I absolutely adore the freckles on his snout!!! Very cute!
      Those are not freckles. They are dalmatian spots.

Comment

I know that. But since they seem to be only on the face they look like he has freckles.
        ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
        4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
        Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Comment

yeah, he has very few spots, im assuming with age he may get more? but he is very cute and adventurous ive only had him for about a week.
          The Wanted Reptile

Comment

Originally posted by regd87 View Post
            yeah, he has very few spots, im assuming with age he may get more? but he is very cute and adventurous ive only had him for about a week.
            Usually they do. Get more spots that is.

Comment

hm he hassnt yet, although he is getting ready to shed some skin it looks like.
              The Wanted Reptile

Comment

Aww, he's very cute and looks as though he's smiling in those middle pics. Does he have a name?
                ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Comment

I named him Leeroy. haha. Just a question, when they are getting ready to shed, does their skin colour go more pale? im hoping in fact he is getting ready to shed and not sick,
                  The Wanted Reptile

Comment

They are typically pale during the day when they are mostly inactive and sleeping but they also get rather light just before a shed and may have a pale grayish blue tint to their body. Most likely Leeroy is just shedding if his behavior seems normal. He may however loose appetite shortly at least until his shed is removed.

During this time it's best to leave them alone until the skin has shed because they feel very vulnerable around this time. Just mist him as normal to keep the general humidity up in the enclosure so everything is damp but not soaked to aid him in shedding. The gecko will usually try to find something abrasive in the tank to rub against to loosen things up so they can wiggle out of their old skin or they may just bite and pull it all off. It can take a few hours to a day to start to shed and they'll most likely do it when you're not looking at night and eat every last bit of it in a relatively short time.
                    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Comment

Ok yeah, He issn't eating as many crickets, I still am feeding him crickets about 4 a day he ussually eats, And I give him baby food every now and then as a treat. Im thinking im going to get the T-Rex food and see if he likes that. It would definatly save me money in the long run.
                      The Wanted Reptile

Comment

If you're thinking about switching to the TRex, honestly I would. Feeding mostly crickets now with the occasional baby food isn't a very nutritionally sound diet for a crested in the long run. The TRex diet (or the Repashy diet which is the same thing) will be better off for him since it arguably has everything in it that a crested requires in it's diet. I mentioned it in the past, but you can even order the Repashy diet here at Pangea. It's very easy and convenient to use and is much healthier for these geckos.

Baby food also isn't very nutritious if it isn't being supplemented and even then it can be difficult to properly supplement in correct dosages for such small food portions. A small treat of it here and there shouldn't hurt, but something like the Repashy 2-part diet where you can add a fruity flavor to the food safely may be a better option for that purpose. It has all the same ingredients as the TRex or Repashy diet but you can alter and experiment with various flavors that are marketed to be mixed in with the main diet without compromising the contents.

Make sure you are also gutloading and dusting all crickets prior to offering them because they're rather weak nutritionally on their own as well and are usually otherwise starving by the time they are to be used. Once Leeroy is eating the replacement diets he can still be offered crickets, but you may want to stop offering them initially during the switch so he won't have them to fall back on if he doesn't take to the diet right away.

Crested geckos are omnivorous and ideally shouldn't live primarily off feeder insects so the sooner you switch over the better to prevent possible maladies associated with poor nutrition such as metabolic bone disease (MBD) which can be fatal if not caught and corrected early.
                        ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Comment

Ordered some lastnight, along with the book I also woke up this morning and he had shed quite a bit overnight :P.
                          The Wanted Reptile

Comment

Working...
                          X