No announcement yet.

DIY Tank Conversion (Foam / Cork Bark)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Tank Conversion (Foam / Cork Bark)

Hi all!

So i'm fairly new to this forum but seeing some of the things on here has really inspired me to completely re-do my Terrarium.

I was reading the thread made by insaneglitchx on their Revamp Journal: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ms!&highlight=

And i thought i would do my own journal aswell so you can all see how it's coming along, and to see what you guys think!

Now remembering that this is my first time at ANYTHING like this. I hope you all don't expect TOO much, but i do have some pretty cool plans for it!

So the materials i will be using are:
    Expanding Foam
    Clear Silicon
    2x Cork Bark Board (For the backing - i know it's usually just silicon and foam but i still want some of it to be shown and natural)
    Cork Bark
    Live Spagnum Moss
    Some drooping plants and some big leaf plants
    Exo-terra Soil + Coco fibre and Moss Topped into an Eco-earth style bedding.

So hopefully i can start building on friday as i'm awaiting my Cork Bark Board to be delivered to my local Reptile store :3

*****Update Below******

So this is what my tank used to look like:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Celqis; 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM.
    Cresty - 0.1.0. Red Bicolour - Celqis

Thanks! You'll have a lot of fun. If I could go back to when I first started my tanks, I would have had a hole drilled for a drainage bulkhead on the lower back side. I built large egg crate drainage layers for each tank, but still had some trouble with a soggy substrate before I got my misting dialed in.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by insaneglitchx View Post
      Thanks! You'll have a lot of fun. If I could go back to when I first started my tanks, I would have had a hole drilled for a drainage bulkhead on the lower back side. I built large egg crate drainage layers for each tank, but still had some trouble with a soggy substrate before I got my misting dialed in.
      I havent made a Drainage layer before and forgive me for not being educated on these things, but other than catching water at the bottom is it of any other use? and is it a necessity?

Another question i have is i'm going to be using silicon and foam for the backboard, but on each side im going to have a Cork Bark Board, Should i still silicon the places on the cork bark board that i want to foam over? or will it be okay to just foam ontop of it?

Thanks for the info, i'm sure i will have fun aha just going to be a bit of a fiddly job i can imagine!

Comment

The drainage layer basically separates the substrate from the water that drains down through it. This stops the substrate from super water logged. The pool of water under the drainage layer also serves to maintain a more constant humidity.

I don't think I really understand your second sentence. What you plan to do with the side walls?
        1.1.4 Crested Geckos

Comment

Journey of a tank.

Hi all!

I finally have an update! after being busy ALL weekend and having some difficulties with silicon etc...

So first off I cleared the glass & filled the back with Black Silicon:

Next i decided i would ruin some of my Lovely Cork Bark Board, with some Self Expanding foam:

Infact, Make that 2 boards.... at $30 a pop...

and then the back piece of glass with foam too:

Looks like we are having a Foam party up in here!
          So i let it all set and then decided the next day it was time to Tackle the foam monster i had created: - i also ended up ripping the cork bark tube i had placed on the back in half as it wouldnt come out! i guess it gives it a cool natural run cave

When i had completed my challenge (Which i ended up using a bread knife for because it was so think and a stanley was getting me nowhere) i then came against another wall.... Fitting it all together. God that was a ballache!

Then put some pretty plants on the top for some finess!

Then was the fun part, covering the wholleee thing in silicon and coco-fiber! (sorry didnt get many pictures, by many i mean i got one

And finally once all had set / dried / been shaken off, and plants planted - It's Ready! and celqis LOVES climbing all over it

Here are some pictures ( I Made a little cave under the overhanging half pipe at the back of the tank, kind of hard to see):

Sorry if the pictures arent great quality, i had to use my phone.

And sorry if it's not amazing, but remember! this is the first time i've ever done anything like this but i did really enjoy doing it

Comment

I think It looks good. Did you use all live plants in there?

Comment

Thank you and yeah all live plants

Comment

The drainage layer basically separates the substrate from the water that drains down through it. This stops the substrate from super water logged. The pool of water under the drainage layer also serves to maintain a more constant humidity.

I don't think I really understand your second sentence. What you plan to do with the side walls?
                See above ^^^^^^^ i made a judgement call xD i didnt go for the drainage layer as i dont have the funds for everything else future wise (Mist machine etc) but i'm sure it will be fine

Comment

Wow, where did you find such high quality sphagnum moss? I always used the regular dried and compressed stuff, which was absolutely terrible.
                  1.1.4 Crested Geckos

Comment

Wow, where did you find such high quality sphagnum moss? I always used the regular dried and compressed stuff, which was absolutely terrible.
                    Yeah the colours are pretty vibrant, Funnily enough i actually found it at a Pets at home store, im guessing it's the same kind of "All round Pet store" as a petsmart in the US, Does dry out quickly though! Maybe i should invest in a misting machine aha, just SO expensive! 80 ($122.80) here for a bottom of the range setup

Comment

Last night, I was in bed viewing this thread and fell asleep which lead me to have the gnar of gnarliest dreams! I dreamt that I was cleaning/setting up my Exo terra and it tipped over and tumbled around all over the place multiple times on it's own like it was possessed! It shattered into dangerous shards which cut me up all over the place and most severely injured my right hand. I had huge pieces of glass sticking out of my body and most especially my right hand's index finger. There was a lot of blood. Blood everywhere. I wanted to go to the emergency room, but I wanted to finish watching the basketball game first, which I did. It was crazy. And my Exo Terra was so much larger in my dream. I also found myself talking in my sleep because the loudness of my own voice half woke me up. Now my neighbors are certain that I'm crazy. So, um, thanks.

I actually woke up not remembering this dream, that is until I came back to view this thread again and seeing the pictures made everything come back to me so vividly. Now, I'll never look at an Exo Terra the same way as I did before last night. It's cool... I was wanting a Repti-Viv anyway.

Okay, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by 321Chuck View Post
                        Last night, I was in bed viewing this thread and fell asleep which lead me to have the gnar of gnarliest dreams! I dreamt that I was cleaning/setting up my Exo terra and it tipped over and tumbled around all over the place multiple times on it's own like it was possessed! It shattered into dangerous shards which cut me up all over the place and most severely injured my right hand. I had huge pieces of glass sticking out of my body and most especially my right hand's index finger. There was a lot of blood. Blood everywhere. I wanted to go to the emergency room, but I wanted to finish watching the basketball game first, which I did. It was crazy. And my Exo Terra was so much larger in my dream. I also found myself talking in my sleep because the loudness of my own voice half woke me up. Now my neighbors are certain that I'm crazy. So, um, thanks.

I actually woke up not remembering this dream, that is until I came back to view this thread again and seeing the pictures made everything come back to me so vividly. Now, I'll never look at an Exo Terra the same way as I did before last night. It's cool... I was wanting a Repti-Viv anyway.

Okay, that's all.
                        Aha WOW, I guess my creativity gives vivid nightmares Sorry to hear about that, sounds horrible but also a very interesting dream at the same time. It's making me feel bad now

Exo-Terra FTW!

Comment

hmm nice ...but i`ve got 1 problem with wood. Afther some weeks os misting water the wood get moldy...you're wood is doing well?

Comment

Originally posted by Ciocioy View Post
                            hmm nice ...but i`ve got 1 problem with wood. Afther some weeks os misting water the wood get moldy...you're wood is doing well?
                            To clarify, you're talking about mold, not moss, right? Did you buy or collect your wood? Did you clean it off first?
                            1.1.4 Crested Geckos

Comment

Originally posted by Ciocioy View Post
                              I'm using cork bark, and i've never had a problem with mold

Comment

Working...
                              X