Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks really great. So vibrant.

If I had to give constructive criticism I would say:

1. Isn't it a little too wet all over the place?
    Only about 1/3 of my setup gets misted so my gecko can choose dry or wet. If I had live plants like yours I would place the live plants in one corner or half the tank so that way not all of the tank gets wet. Do cresties hang out in the rain and/or after the rain while it's still wet out in the wild? I don't know. But I'm dying to know. Someone please answer.

2. I noticed you don't have any vines. I did notice a lot of climbing areas which is great, but I think these guys really love their vines.

3. Hide those misting hoses behind the enclosure please. It's an eye sore. And that water reservoir bucket is hideous... Find a creative way to conceal that bucket. I'm sure you have a lot of creativity in you as evident by your setups. My hoses are hidden behind, and my reservoir bucket is located underneath the enclosure hidden in the stand. It's perfectly fine. There's no need to keep that bucket in level with the vivarium. There's also no need to keep the hoses up high like you have it.

Overall, you've got living art.
    Last edited by 321Chuck; 05-22-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

1. The tanks only get misted twice a day for 20 seconds each. Those pictures were taken within a few minutes of the tanks getting misted. I've never noticed the geckos hanging out in any certain area.

2. Other than the snake plant, bromeliads, and selaginella, every plant is a vine...

3. Thanks for pointing out how hideous my set up is. As a broke medical student who is accumulating more than $300,000 in student loan debt, I couldn't care less about having a blue bucket and a few tubes in eyesight. I did splurge on the makeshift stand and black paint, and spent a whole $15.
      1.1.4 Crested Geckos
      0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
      0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Comment

I hear you, I am a medical student as well. My viv doesn't even have a stand; its just sits on my desk with my misting system and cords/wires all running down to the ground next to it
        My vivariums
        http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-Live-Vivarium
        http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-Live-Vivarium
        http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ra-Tall-Build!

Comment

Woah there, doc. I never said your setup is ugly... I actually said it looks great, vibrant and is living art and that you're creative. The only thing I pointed out as ugly is the exposed bucket and hoses. With enough creativity they should be free to conceal. You're setup is a masterpiece, but the exposed bucket and hoses are like thorns on a rose.

My crestie mostly hangs out in the part of the tank that doesn't get misted. It's almost summer here which means our humidity levels are naturally high... which also means that currently my mister is solely misting just for my crestie to drink. Currently, my mist timer is set to go off every 2 hours for 2 seconds misting only about 1/3 of the vivarium. Currently, we're averaging 84% humidity. I don't think it rains in New Caledonia everyday. I also don't think that Cresties in the wild roll around in wet areas. In the wild (New Caledonia) I think the only thing that comes in contact with water is their tongues. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And by vines I meant vines that somewhat resemble the vines on the Isle of Pines in New Caledonia.

Good job on being a med student and a future doc. Respect. Good investment. You'll be rolling in cash and helping people.

Comment

My bad. I was rude in my last comment. I've moved at least once a year since I started with crested geckos. I've never really wanted to make a set up that is permanent, as I'd just be breaking it back down again. Once I'm a resident physician I'll be in the same place for at least 3 years. I'll set everything up to actually look nice then. For now, it's just my own little slice of nature in my apartment.

I'm actually looking to sell everything that I own related to crested geckos, including geckos and terrariums. My 4th year of medical school starts in July, and I'll be moving between states every 2-4 weeks for audition rotations and interviews. That's not exactly the most ideal situation to be keeping geckos.
            1.1.4 Crested Geckos

Comment

Originally posted by insaneglitchx View Post
              My bad. I was rude in my last comment. I've moved at least once a year since I started with crested geckos. I've never really wanted to make a set up that is permanent, as I'd just be breaking it back down again. Once I'm a resident physician I'll be in the same place for at least 3 years. I'll set everything up to actually look nice then. For now, it's just my own little slice of nature in my apartment.

I'm actually looking to sell everything that I own related to crested geckos, including geckos and terrariums. My 4th year of medical school starts in July, and I'll be moving between states every 2-4 weeks for audition rotations and interviews. That's not exactly the most ideal situation to be keeping geckos.
              I eould see if a family member or a friend would take care of them for the year. Or maybe even someone on here so you can get them back after the year is up

Comment

Yeah, I tried asking friends and family for as long as I could before I had to start looking into selling everything.
                1.1.4 Crested Geckos

Comment

Sorry to double post. If anyone is interested in purchasing these terrariums and all of my gecko related equipment, please contact me via private message or at insaneglitchx@yahoo.com. I'll be posting a thread in the trade section soon. This is just convenient, as this thread has all of these pictures already posted.
                  1.1.4 Crested Geckos

Comment

Working...
                  X