Screen cages vs. glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen cages vs. glass?

Just wondering which is better for crested geckos, screen or glass? I see screen cages marketed for cresties all the time, but I don't see much evidence on this board or other places that people actually keep their cresties in screen cages. Ironically the first thing that got me interested in crested geckos was someone giving me an Exo Terra Explorarium screen cage. I was looking for a suitable occupant and read that crested geckos live in screen cages. Then on reading that crested geckos require a lot of humidity, I ended up going out and buying a glass terrarium instead. The Explorarium continues to gather dust...

So I'm wondering if anyone here keeps their cresties in screen cages, and if so, how do you regulate the humidity?

screed cages are a no go. Cresties need high humidity, imposible to maintain in an all screen enclosure.

I use screen cages myself for my cresties BUT

BUT

they are modified. I've covered the side in frames of plastic and they work just as well as glass exo terra tanks, etc. but much cheaper for more space
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
      screed cages are a no go. Cresties need high humidity, imposible to maintain in an all screen enclosure.

I use screen cages myself for my cresties BUT

BUT

they are modified. I've covered the side in frames of plastic and they work just as well as glass exo terra tanks, etc. but much cheaper for more space
      Yet all the manufacturers of screen cages are trumpeting their suitability for cresties. I was looking at them tonight and the boxes all stated they were made for cresties. Re the humidity, I considered covering the outside of my Explorarium with plastic wrap. Then I realized a) it would be a hassle keeping it attached to the cage; b) the screen on that cage is so dark you can barely see anything inside anyway. Makes me wonder why chameleons are kept in these cages since they require humidity and a drip system.

I've seen secondhand screen cages on sale cheap and was tempted. Now if I need more cages I'll just do plastic tubs.

Comment

yeah idk why companies do that. I think the main design purpose of screen cages was if you wanted to take your reptile outside for some fresh air and sun P:
        Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
        Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
        1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Creepella! I've been scouring kijiji for one of those all summer long. The only place where someone has one is in Windsor. I was going to use it outside so the cresties could benefit from some real UVB.
          5.4.9 Crested Gecko
          1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
          1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugwinkle View Post
            Creepella! I've been scouring kijiji for one of those all summer long. The only place where someone has one is in Windsor. I was going to use it outside so the cresties could benefit from some real UVB.
            You could get an Explorarium just for letting your cresties soak up the fresh air and sunshine. It's designed for use when capturing inverts outdoors. It's cylindrical with a loop on top so you can hang it up. It even has a hook inside at the top, so you can hang vines, lights etc. Mine cost me $35. It folds down into a flat pouch.

Comment

Yeah, thats what I'm looking for. Where did you get it for $35. That guy in Windsor wants $20 for his but it's too far a drive for me.
              5.4.9 Crested Gecko
              1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
              1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Here's a link to a pic of the Explorarium. You can find more info on the Exo Terra website. The screen looks dark but apparently they're designed to allow UV rays to pass through.

http://www.exo-terra.com/download/hi...um_Outdoor.jpg

I bought mine on Amazon.ca a few months ago. It may have been on sale. I'm guessing there are other online retailers that carry them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Creepella View Post
                  Yet all the manufacturers of screen cages are trumpeting their suitability for cresties. I was looking at them tonight and the boxes all stated they were made for cresties. Re the humidity, I considered covering the outside of my Explorarium with plastic wrap. Then I realized a) it would be a hassle keeping it attached to the cage; b) the screen on that cage is so dark you can barely see anything inside anyway. Makes me wonder why chameleons are kept in these cages since they require humidity and a drip system.

I've seen secondhand screen cages on sale cheap and was tempted. Now if I need more cages I'll just do plastic tubs.
                  they do it because they want to sell product, and with cresties becoming more and more popular pets, they see an opportunity to make money. sadly, half the things marketed for reptiles are either unnecessary or worse, harmful, to the reptile they are marketed towards. there's a ton of bad lights and bad food marketed to specific kinds of reptiles that are not actually suitable for those reptiles, including some of the pet-store CGDs and foods being sold for cresties.

as for chameleons, they don't require quite as much humidity and are much more sensitive to ventilation, so screen cages are a bit more appropriate for them. also, chameleons need larger cages than cresties, and glass cages of that size can be prohibitively heavy and expensive.
                  1.0.0 Correlophus ciliatus "MacGruber"
                  1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps "J.J."
                  0.0.1 Tiliqua gigas evanescens 'Irian Jaya' "Jub-Jub"

Comment

Working...
                  X