24x18x24 Exo Terra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24x18x24 Exo Terra

I recently moved across the country. Wee Gecko, of course, came with me. But, I figured, if I got a new home, it's only fair he did too. So, while I was in the process of packing up, I ordered myself a 24x18x24 Exo Terra, a 24" Current Satellite Plus fixture, and all the fixings for a planted terrarium.

It's been setup about a month now, and Wee Gecko moved in last night. I got my order of vines this morning, and finished out the tank. Without further ado, a few pictures.

The cork background, pre-mossing

With moss.

Initial Planting

Some rearranging.

With the addition of some live moss

And, the final version today.

Obviously, these were taken with a pretty terrible cellphone camera. I'll try for shots from a real camera in a few days when everything gets a little more settled, and Wee Gecko starts coming out to explore a bit more.

awesome setup!

Comment

That is a very nice tank! Your tanks have been really amazing

Comment

Thank you both! I'm not ENTIRELY happy with this one yet. There are a few plants I'd like to swap out. But, I may change my tune in 6 months when it's a bit more grown in. Either way, Wee Gecko seems happy with the upgrade. That's what really matters.

Comment

After a few months of staring at it, I decided I really wasn't happy with the final layout. A few plants have come in and over the last few months, but last night I decided it needed drastic work. So, I ripped the whole thing apart and started over.

Before

After

Comment

Such a gorgeous enclosure! You obviously put so much work into it. I love that you decided your gecko should get a new home since you did, so sweet!

Comment

Thanks! It really was a matter of convenience. I was moving across the country, by plane. He was shipped 2 weeks before I left. And I got there 2 weeks before my belongings showed up. It seemed like the only way to give him a place to live for a few months while my stuff showed up. And also a great excuse to upgrade to a nice display size for our living room.

Comment

Fantastic job. Great examplenof a cork bark mosaic background!
                1.1.4 Crested Geckos
                0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
                0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Comment

Thank you! It's my favorite type of background. Easy to do, looks natural, and the plants and gecko love it. I tried the GS and peat method once. I was not impressed.

Comment

Comment

Excellent job! I wish I were so creative. But, you've given me some ideas for my gecko enclosures.
                      I'm sure your gecko is very happy in such a nice environment.

Comment

Awesome looking enclosure! Good job. Lucky gecko!
                        Grippin Geckos Canada
                        4.7.1⚥? - Correlophus Ciliatus
                        1.1.0⚥? - Mniarogekko Chahoua
                        0.1.1⚥? - Rhacodactylus Auriculatus... and MORE...

http://www.grippingeckos.com/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Grippin-Gec...9775225992793/

Comment

Growth has absolutely exploded in this tank over the last few months. It seems like I have to trim it back every few weeks just to keep the lower plants from being completely blocked from any lighting.

A few months ago, I swapped out the lighting system on the tank for a 36" 4 bulb HOT5. On the one hand, my plants are growing fabulously. On the other hand, it's a lot of light, the taller plants are getting burnt, and it's growing faster then I can hack it back. The purple waffle plant is supposed to get 6-12 inches tall. Mine is pushing 18 and counting, and that's after hacking it in half at the end of April.

At some point this summer, I will be replacing the t5's with LED's. Hopefully, they won't be quite as powerful, and I won't have to keep on top of trimming quite so much.

Snoopy is rarely visible, the plants being so thick, even 4 inches from the glass he's tucked safely on a perch obscured from view.

April 15, 2015

June 7, 2015

Cryptanthus Blooming

A pleased, hidden Snoopy.

Comment

It's like a jungle in there! Grown in very nicely though I really like that trailing plant on the right, is it a Pilea species?
                            My vivariums
                            http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-Live-Vivarium
                            http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-Live-Vivarium
                            http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ra-Tall-Build!

Comment

Yes. Pilea 'baby tears'. It's growing like crazy in one of my other tanks, and I ended up clipping out a bunch of it, and threw it in here. It's doing pretty well, all things considered.

Comment

Working...
                              X