X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrarium substrate

What do you use and how often do you change

current: paper towels, changed once a week
    future: bioactive substrate (ABG mix) in a live viv, changed (hopefully) never
    1.0.0 Correlophus ciliatus "MacGruber"
    1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps "J.J."
    0.0.1 Tiliqua gigas evanescens 'Irian Jaya' "Jub-Jub"

Comment

current: paper towels, changed once a week
      future: bioactive substrate (ABG mix) in a live viv, changed (hopefully) never
      1.0.0 Correlophus ciliatus "MacGruber"
      1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps "J.J."
      0.0.1 Tiliqua gigas evanescens 'Irian Jaya' "Jub-Jub"

Comment

i used to use eco earth and change once every 3-6 months ish .. but when i did have to change it was such a mess and a chore.. not to mention i caught one of my geckos with a mouth full of eco earth a couple times after she thought she saw crickets. i've since switched to paper towel and while i have to change it more frequently (every 2 weeks) it's so much easier and the geckos never eat it. i personally think soil like substrates are only worth it if you are going to do a live setup. otherwise paper towels and a lay box/humid hide is less maintenance and safer

Comment

ABG and NEHERP mix are both really great vivarium substrates. I have a viv that has NEHERP and I have had no problems. It's mostly charcoal, wood chips, and moss that my gecko can't really fit in his mouth. I have isopods and springtails in it so they clean up poop and dead stuff. I have had the tank for about a year and never even thought about cleaning it. Vivs are costly but the only maintinance is the initial set up. You do have to mist a little extra, but that's not too much work. Just make sure you get the right plants for your viv. Look for plants that need low to moderate humidity, that's what creistes need. Hope this helps!

Comment

Do you have to add the Isopods or springtails often or just on setup

Comment

If the tank is setup correctly, then they should breed pretty readily once they're introduced.

Comment

If you set up the tank about a month before you put your gecko in, you can put the bugs in and they will breed before your gecko comes. Just toss in some carrots and leaf litter and a small bowl of bakers yeast so they can eat a lot. When you put your gecko in, remove any remaining carrots and bakers yeast. The bugs will last a very long time and chances are you will probably never need to buy new bugs.

Comment

Working...
                X