How to Keep Large Numbers of Babies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Keep Large Numbers of Babies?

Out of curiosity, for those of you who breed, how do you keep/organize all your babies within a given breeding season? I know that some keep them in tubs, some in kritter keepers, etc... but I'd like to see photos of how all that's actually organized. I know snake breeders and several lizard types are kept in rack systems, but those don't seem so great for arboreal cresties.

Photos especially appreciated!

I do not breed creatives, yet, but a friend of mine does. The way he organizes his babies is by racks. Small cresties don't really need tall tanks like adults do. They don't do as much climbing and moving as adults, so it is fine to keep them in 6-20 quart bins depending on age/size. My friend has rows and rows of racks filled with babies. He keeps babies and juvies on certain racks so they don't mix, which just helps when moving the geckos into new tanks as they grow. He keeps track of their records and stuff by putting labels on the bins with some basic info like hatch date and parents and also a code. Wth the codes, in a notebook and iPad, and also back up files on his computer, he keeps more info like morph, possible sex, health issues, photos, diet perferations, growth, and other stuff. He is really good at keeping linage info and stuff organized since he keeps all geckos idividually keeps only 1 female per bin.

Comment

I don't breed huge numbers of rhacs. I have 1.2 gargs and usually end up with about 9 babies per season. I have 6qt tubs from Target. Each tub has a paper towel bottom, coconut shell or other small hide, small piece of cork bark, water dish and bottle cap for food. I keep them stacked in three's on the top shelf of one of my shelf units. Given the small number I produce, there was no need to buy another piece of furniture like a rack.

Aliza

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I start my personal breeding project in a year or two I suspect my turnout will also stay small. I'm a sucker for "pretty" displays like the show tanks my adults have in my living room, but I suspect I'll have to go practical for little babies.

Comment

If you want to have "show" little babies, you could invest in the clear "breeder boxes" that some big company makes and stack them up.

ALiza

Comment

Originally posted by acpart View Post
            If you want to have "show" little babies, you could invest in the clear "breeder boxes" that some big company makes and stack them up.

ALiza
            Do you have any photos of these breeder boxes you are referring to. I'm not sure what they are?
            5.4.9 Crested Gecko
            1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
            1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Here is a link to the breeding boxes: http://undergroundreptiles.com/shop/...-breeding-box/

I haven't used them myself.

Aliza

Comment

I make these: http://www.firedupgeckos.com/do-it-y...hatchling-bin/
                Fired Up Geckos

I'm making a lot of wildlife and reptile art here!

Comment

Great tubs from fired up geckos. Plus easy to make.
                  Crested geckos 4:5:15
                  Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Comment

Do you have any problems maintaining the humidity with the screen top? I use the tubs for garg hatchlings but don't put in the screen or any air holes around the sides and it seems to work fine, or is it an aesthetic issue?

Aliza

Comment

Mine get too wet and mold w/o the screen. Plus I hate opening each tub to mist.

I had tubs that just had punched holes for my first season and have replaced them all since.

However, use whatever style keeps humidity best for your home.
                      Fired Up Geckos

I'm making a lot of wildlife and reptile art here!

Comment

Yeah same here. My tubs have screens on three sides and it's still way to humid.
                        5.4.9 Crested Gecko
                        1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                        1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X