Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What goes into 'sealing' a bookshelf to use as a tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What goes into 'sealing' a bookshelf to use as a tank?

I am thinking of dumping the live terrarium thing, I'm just having no luck keeping the plants alive and not to mention, so little floor space so everything is smooshed together.. and target/walmart has some amazing fake plant things o-o i want them. So I'll probably just put the plants I have in a pot and just decorate my house with what is surviving.

I can't find tubs any higher than 18" which is the same height as the tanks they're in now -facepalm- so I thought "Hmm.. bookshelf then?"

So what goes into sealing it? Do I just have to silicone the corners? Or do I have to slap on something on all the sides and such? Also, I'd obviously want to remove the very top of the shelf and replace it with screen, will that be okay? Will it weaken the integrity of the other walls? I'd go and get a piece of acrylic cut for the hinged door and just silicone on the 'hinge'. Light fixtures.. I'll.... I don't know... ductape it to the back? LOL

do some foam ledges (if I can find Styrofoam o-o where do I even buy that stuff?) wood, bamboo, the awesome fake plant crap. Yeah...

So yeah, to sum it up:
    What supplies would I need to seal up the bookshelves?
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

My shopping list and recomended procedure...

1. Cut a portion of the top out for your screen and attach it using a fitted "window" and some screws.

2. Coat all of interior and exterior with this...
    http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-63000-D...s=polyurethane

3. allow to dry.

4. Apply this to the interior...(there are other designs if you want)...
    http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Brand...=contact+paper

5. Make certain that the laminate is nice and flat against the surface

6. I would use a sliding glass door. First though, you need put up a barrier at the bottom to keep your substrate from spilling over every time you open the door. After you have that, just put in a channel and two pieces of plexi-glass (or acrylic). I also recommend a display case lock.

7. For styrofoam, go to any pet store that sells fish. Fish are shipped in Styrofoam coolers and most pet store managers will just give them away. Apply Great Stuff to your ledges once they are attached and let your imagination do the rest.

Good luck.
    ------------------------------------
    What? You expected a list?

Comment

(see below post for the most info)

phone double posted... idk.. weird-o
      Last edited by Mechanical8Dragon; 05-02-2014, 08:06 PM.
      Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
      Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

Well the bookshelf is going to be the skinner taller ones, not the wider ones so a sliding door would be pointless as there would be no room to slide it.

As for the laminant.. I planned to glue on a custom background made of... Idk wood or bamboo. So would it be pointless to use the laminant? Or would it be a good idea as just an extra protective barrier?

Also. I have no tools to cut into wood and I don't know of any places around here where I can rent them. That's why I was curious if I could just unscrew the top of the shelf instead?
        Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

Everything but 3 things were 50% off. I saved $47 (considering everything was either $10 or $12)@_@

From the right to left, there are 3 'vines', a yellow hibiscus 'bush', 2 long stem flowering 'tree branches', and then 3 bushes: wandering jew, ivy, and idk but the other one is but its cool, and then I got the 'tree branch' at the far left at target. Here's a close up of it:

I think it's neat, ganna put it in the back corner of the future tank so it sticks out and drapes down.

Yeah as much as I love live vivs... I just don't have the time or money to get them growing properly. I'll still have the plants in their current tanks in the new ones, but it'll be a 'if they live they live, if not idc" type of thing.

I still need to get some bamboo rods and such, hot glue (or silicone which ever sticks better) to make ledges and such. Ganna stick magnets on everything so that they can easily be removed and washed. Just need to find small, powerful magnets...
          Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
            Well the bookshelf is going to be the skinner taller ones, not the wider ones so a sliding door would be pointless as there would be no room to slide it.

As for the laminant.. I planned to glue on a custom background made of... Idk wood or bamboo. So would it be pointless to use the laminant? Or would it be a good idea as just an extra protective barrier?

Also. I have no tools to cut into wood and I don't know of any places around here where I can rent them. That's why I was curious if I could just unscrew the top of the shelf instead?
            Really all you need is the poly if you want to go the background route and yes you can remove the entire top, that is going to be a lot of ventilation though. If the background is solid, I would just screw it in if you have a drill on hand.
            ------------------------------------
            What? You expected a list?

Comment

hahayeah no drill on me P: I'd have to either buy it or find a place to rent it but I dont' think there are any places that i can rent from. If ventilation is an issue I can just cover up part of the screen. I know on my current tanks the only time i have humidity problems is when i have the heat lamp on and I ALWAYS have to cover up part of the screen on the exo terras otherwise it dries out so fast in there, even with the soil damp and all the plants. @_@
              Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

well got some things. will probably ahve to get more tubes of silicone but thats alright. I got enough for simple things

all thats left is background material (unsure of what I want to do yet) need to find some good bookshelves, and get acrylic cut for said bookcases.

I need to find magnets though, strong ones, but small ones as well (or medium) that I can silicon one onto the BG, and then one onto the stems of the fake plants. I don't want to silicone them in the cage because i want to be able to remove them and clean them. I just need strong magnets that will hold the weight of the plant itself and the weight of the gecko..

I know lowes and home depot have them but they're in really tiny packs that cost like $3 each. I'm curious if there are any i can order in a big bundle and save money?
                Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

Working...
                X