Best timed humidifier for the price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best timed humidifier for the price?

Hey Everyone! I was wondering what humidifiers you would recommend. Is there a particular brand/model that has worked best for you? I'm hoping to stay within a budget of about $40.

Youtube 'DIY reptile fogger'
    Essentially you need a timer and a laundry discharge tube (vacuum-hose plastic style, not the heavy rubber kind), and a humidifier boasting 'cool mist' & 'ultrasonic' features. The trick is finding a humidifier which has a round output duct so that the hose can be easily attached. Lastly, keep the unit running on distilled or RO water to avoid water stains and calcium deposits that will gunk up your humidifier.

If that sounds like too much work, ZooMed Repti-fogger is a popular choice. You still need to buy a timer and use distilled water, but the only main difference is the water reservoir size - zoomed is expandable up to 2L, whereas a household humidifier can hold almost double that, 1 gal).

Comment

I like the DIY stuff more and it is cheaper. Right now though i do have a Reptifogger that i turn on in the morning and right before lights out that does keep their humidity fairly regulated but they are some what pricie. I believe they go from 45 - 60 $ online w/o shipping and prolly 70 - 90 $ in stores. I do think they are worth it though.
      3.5.10.6 Crestie Cuties -- Boys : Elmer, Raziel, and Samson -- Girls : Velcro, Lemon Drop, and Peaches (x2 no name) -- Little Ones : Duckie, Monkie, Tiki, Cayenne, Ember, Creeper, and joker (x3 no name)
      0.1 Halmahera Giant Gecko -- Fizzgig
      1.0 My Chihuahua Love -- Pedro

Comment

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...r-journal.html
        Wes L.

V-Scape

Comment

I bought a cheap "Cool Mist" humidifier that I use in the reptile room. It's on a light timer, it goes on at night and off during the day. It was about $25 bucks at Walmart/Target/Walgreens (I can't exactly remember which, but all those places have similar ones), and it was far more economical than a commercially sold mist system. I just used a piece of acrylic (moulded by heating it) to create my own output duct that I could attach the hose to.
          Kaiden

Insect protein-based gecko diet! 28% protein!
          Black Panther Zoological - also on Facebook

Comment

Thanks! How long would you say to run one on a timer in order for a crestie's humidity to cycle properly?

Comment

Do you mean with it venting into the room? or directly into the tank?
              Every humidifier setup is slightly different - but these things can raise the humidity up to and past 90% within 30 min if put directly into the tank. I have a timer which can be programmed in 30 min intervals. When lights go out I run a cycle of 30 on, 1hr off 3 times, then increase the off time, 1.5hrs, then 2 hrs. The last mist happens around 5am.

Note that I live in Ontario and it has already started to get dry here (35%). I have a small 12V CPU fan (run on a dimmer, so probably at 3-4V) placed on the screen pushing air in downwards. It comes on with the lights in the morning and by mid-day the humidity is back down to 50%. You need to cycle the humidity like this or mold can develop, also, from the pangea care sheet:
              It is very important to allow the cage to dry to normal humidity levels in between mistings. If the cage is wet and humid all of the time, problems with shedding and bacterial infections can arise

Also note that my setup is a planted vivarium and can hold moisture extremely well (hence the fan)...a paper towel tank probably won't need the air movement during the day. I think i've mentioned 3-4 variables alone in this reply, plus these are rough guidelines...so there will be experimentation on your end to get up and running properly. If you're running the humidifier in the room you'll probably want it running a lot longer, but this could present the problem of needing to refill the reservoir more often. With direct tank venting I'm pretty sure I can get over a week of humidification with my 1 gal tank...probably even more.

Comment

Air stone

I have seen air stone used in a dish of water.

A pump is used to send air threw air stone. This may be cheap way.

Don't thing creates a fog though.

Seen it used in chameleon set up, keeps constant humidity.

Going to do this in my large crestie set up.

Comment

I was planning on using it in the tank. (sorry for the late response) Right now I have a Large KK but I will eventually be switching to a 24x18x36 exo terra. I make sure to cycle the humidity throughout the day. I just wanted something to help in case I was a little late getting home so it wouldn't get too dry.

Comment

It would probably be overkill for the KK...
                    for a large tank this method works so well, I never have to mist by hand.

Comment

Alright, I'll just wait until my CG is big enough for an exo terra then. Thanks for the input though!

Comment

np.
                        Actually, I just thought of something, since those humidifiers have varying degrees of intensity levels, you could probably make it work with a KK.

Comment

Sorry for bumping....just my 2 cents in this old thread...

I like the ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers https://www.evababygear.com/best-baby-humidifier/ (Vicks are horrible).

Make sure it comes with a filter, I have tried filter less before and they leave a disgusting white powder covering everything in the room. This is due to the hard water we have in my area, but I would want to filter any tap water being put into a snake room.

Depending on your budget, one that can detect humidity levels and shut off if it gets to high are really nice. The only time I end up with a damp spot around mine is if it reaches over 70% humidity in the room and I end up with condensation running down the sides of the humidifier to the floor.

I have bad allergies and have to run a humidifier all winter long. So I have used humidifiers in my bedroom since I was a kid.

There is one good video for you. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gacheer; 01-22-2019, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Regarding filters, I did some calculations a few years ago and determined that, for me, using distilled water in the humidifier was more economical than replacing the filters at the recommended frequency. Distilled water = no white powder.
                            3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Working...
                            X