So annoyed...slugs in my viv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So annoyed...slugs in my viv

I found slugs in my 2 month old planted viv today. I'm so annoyed. I live at home and unfortunately my mother was there to see me take them out. She is now freaking out. I bought from NE Herp thinking that I wouldn't end up with creepy crawlies. I'm not sure what the best way to get rid of them is, or even if I have to take the whole thing down and start over, or get rid of my plants. Sooo frustrated and annoyed right now.
    1.2.1 Cresties Guinness Bacardi Kahlua & Amaretto
    1.0.0 leopard gecko Ares
    0.2.0 Gargoyle Belladonna TBD
    ...and rats, cats, dogs, chinchillas, a parakeet, 2 Amazon parrots, and a Blue & gold macaw
    http://mbcreaturechronicles.weebly.com/

did you sterilize everything? where did you get the substrate and components for your viv? if any of it is from outside/left somewhere in your house dark and damp, there's your answer!

Comment

You could try co2 sterilization, it's plant safe and supposedly works well for slugs.

Just put the inhabitants in a temporary home, and place a jar with warm water and some dry ice into the bottom of the viv. It will start to produce a sinking co2 fog that drives the oxygen from the tank. Leave it in there for a few hours, air out the tank fully, and put the gecko back in.

Assuming everything worked right, you should have a slug free viv. As an added plus, the co2 will give your plants a boost of growth. My only worries would be that plants can outgrow their root systems if left in a overly Co2 enriched atmosphere for an extended period of time, and that there may be eggs that survive the dry ice treatment.

Personally, I would do the dry ice treatment, then follow it with another treatment a couple weeks later to kill any newly hatched pests.

Here is a good article on ridding a dart frog tank of millipedes with co2:
      http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

Comment

I also had a slug problem in my crestie tank thanks to some garden transplants (from the second floor porch - no idea how they got up there). I really didn't find this more than a temporary nuisance. The slugs would show up near the water dish, I'd take them out and toss them in the fish pond. Eventually, fat fish and no more slugs.

Aliza

Comment

Will the co2 treatment kill springtails? I wanna do this to rid my cage or gnats but Dnt wanna lose my microfauna

Comment

Everything I put in the tank was from NE Herp. I emailed them and they suggested the dry ice thing. And yes it will kill all microfauna. They were really helpful.
            1.2.1 Cresties Guinness Bacardi Kahlua & Amaretto
            1.0.0 leopard gecko Ares
            0.2.0 Gargoyle Belladonna TBD
            ...and rats, cats, dogs, chinchillas, a parakeet, 2 Amazon parrots, and a Blue & gold macaw
            http://mbcreaturechronicles.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
            X