Best color light for night time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best color light for night time?

Hi everyone! I was wondering what the best color light to get to view my crested at night would be? I don't want anything that will heat up his cage so low watt is preferred any suggestions on brands etc?

Try any 40 watt red or black incandescent bulb, or a longer wavelength LED night light (red or orange). You can use a regular LED diode, just make sure it has a color tinted lens or guard that ends up producing less disruptive wavelengths.
    Kaiden

Insect protein-based gecko diet! 28% protein!
    Black Panther Zoological - also on Facebook

Comment

What about a fluorescent black light? Do they give off less heat than incandescent?

Comment

In general, Fluorescent gives off way less heat than incandescent, however, CFL's get very warm since the ballast and light source are so compact and built together...in the end it always depends on wattage (I find 26W+ cfls a bit too hot to handle by hand when they've been on). Tube fluoros have such a large surface area that they won't put out noticeable heat.

That said, I don't know if Fluoro blacklight puts out the correct spectrum.
        I use a 75W blue 'moonlight' bulb and it gets hot, but does not project the heat downwards. The fixture gets really hot.
        I notice that my geckos can 'see' the light so I don't leave it running all the time - just occasional viewing.

Panther, i'd be into hearing more about those long-wave LED's... got any links?

Comment

I wish I could find that study on gecko eyes right now...

Nocturnal geckos are actually unique in being able to see a wide spectrum of colors at almost any light level. Their cones make for 350 times more color sensitivity at low light than our own, which is pretty amazing.

Black lights will disrupt their night cycles, as they can use black light to see by. They are least sensitive to red light. I can shine a red LED into my gecko's face, and his pupils will stay fully open, without showing any apparent effects. He will not run off and hide from a red light, but I still l don't leave it on more than necessary.

Studies show that they can see blue light quite well, but blue light is closest to the spectrum of moonlight, and they naturally experience moonlight in the wild. Presumably, a dim blue light at night would be fairly natural.

Comment

Here is a study examining the abilities of the helmet gecko to recognize color at night. The study states that geckos have cones to detect green, blue, and UV light.

Link

Comment

Does the brightness of the blue light matter? I found a fluorescent blue blub but it's pretty bright, I was wondering if this would be too bright or if it just mattered what color it was.

Comment

the night time bulbs from exo terra have kinda a black glow.( i use only a 50 watt) if you don't want any heat bulbs i would use the new glow light dome by exo terra there are pretty sweet. If you use the dome for 12 hours of light with a uvb bulb, it should glow for a few hours after u shut the light off and u can see your geckos really well if its a smaller tank. i would be careful with the brighter bulbs at night because you want the 12hours of day and night so your geckos don't get overly stressed
                *I'm not crazy, Just mentally hilarious*
                3.2.1 Crested Geckos (Toke, Chronis, Igor, Rhea, Cheva)
                1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon ( Spartacus)
                0.1.0 English bulldog (Doja)
                1.0.0 Collie (Thor)
                1.0.0 demonic a$$ cat (Loki)

Comment

What if I used a dark blue gel/filter on a fluorescent light?

Comment

If you do use a blue light, I'd keep it pretty dim. Blue is right in the middle of their vision range; it can certainly disturb them. There's a big difference between a dim "moonlight" bulb and a blue flourescent.

You can get red LED flashlights off ebay cheaply. LED's are nice because they don't transmit much outside of their frequency range, while filters and colored fluorescents may.

Comment

Do you think these, in red, would be suitable?

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Comment

Probably. Do you already have a 12v power source?

I use something like this:
                        http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=70409450275

Also, if you don't mind spending more, zilla makes a unit for reptiles with a built in power supply and suction cups.

Comment

At night I run a black light (the 70's blacklight poster style) in my room with a bunch of glowy stars. Do you think that affects their night cycle or would it simulate nighttime? Its not directly over the tank, really just vaguely illuminates the whole room

Comment

Geckos can see a lot more of the UV light from a black light than we can.

I haven't experimented with this myself, but my research suggests that black light is as disruptive as white light at night.

Comment

Working...
                            X