Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

I have a 3ft x 2ft x 18inch viv that was for a chameleon... he died.. sorry to say.
    And I wanted to use this viv for crested gecko ... but is it too big?..
    Or what other gecko could be kept?

Thanks
    John

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Is it screen or glass? Is there any way to turn it on its side so it would be 3 feet tall instead of 18" tall? Crested geckos prefer taller cages rather than long ones. If you purchase an adult crested, he or she should be fine in there but it depends on the individual. I have a couple of adults that freak out and stop eating if I use anything bigger than a 15 gallon and then I have one in a 40 gallon and a male that thrives in a 65 gallon hex. Depending on your budget, that cage would probably be good for a chewie or a leachie too.
    www.samanthasgeckos.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SamanthasGeckos

Comment

It's wood with glass doors and 3ft high by 2ft wide and 18 inches deep..

Comment

I was told that cresties get scared if there's too much space!..
        No idea what the other lizards are?..

Comment

That's a pretty big cage for even adult cresties! I'm with Samantha; I think a pair of chewies or leachies would be happier in there, especially since leachies like higher humidity than cresties, so that cage would work. There's a lot of info on Chahoa and Leachies in this forum; check out their specific subforums.

Also, was your chameleon a Carpet or pygmy species? Because unless he was, a glass/wood enclosure was really unhealthy for him and may have actually been what killed him. Chameleons need a lot of airflow and can get respiratory infections reaally easily, so they should almost always be housed in screen or mesh cages. Next time you look into chameleons, check out chameleonforums.com.
          3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Comment

Keep in mind that until 1994 all cresties were considered extinct until found living in the wild in Caledonia which is a lot bigger than any tank.
            Michael Harris
            4.3.6 Crested Gecko's
            GLC Reptiles
            Facebook
            iHerp
            GLC Reptiles

Comment

Originally posted by LCH View Post
              That's a pretty big cage for even adult cresties! I'm with Samantha; I think a pair of chewies or leachies would be happier in there, especially since leachies like higher humidity than cresties, so that cage would work. There's a lot of info on Chahoa and Leachies in this forum; check out their specific subforums.

Also, was your chameleon a Carpet or pygmy species? Because unless he was, a glass/wood enclosure was really unhealthy for him and may have actually been what killed him. Chameleons need a lot of airflow and can get respiratory infections reaally easily, so they should almost always be housed in screen or mesh cages. Next time you look into chameleons, check out chameleonforums.com.
              He was a veiled chameleon.. he died because they guy I got him from inbreeds.. plus he had 9 growths and the vet said that these were due to the seller/breeder doing to much inbreeding and the growths will kill him slowly.. so he was put to sleep to stop any suffering.
              I gave the details of the shop that sells them and the breeders name and the vet is now dealing with it.
              I had two.. brother and sister.. she was put to sleep because she couldn't lay her eggs.. I won't be having any more chameleons..
              I'll look up these other lizards you speak of and see what ones I like.
              I nearly got a pair of female cresties .. but the seller said in a viv that size the become agrophobic !!..

Comment

i think most people will say bigger the better for adults. just put an extra food dish or 2 around the tank. a pair of females adults would work but try to get two that have been together their whole lives.. or be prepared to possibly separate them if they fight. (possibly build a divider in the tank itself since it's so big) .. non adult cresties may not do well in a tank that big.

Comment

I've been looking at mossy.
                  They look better then cresties..
                  But I read the heat bulb and uv lighting must be taken out!!.
                  The heat bulb is in a thick wire cage that is screwed to the top of the viv..
                  And I also have a automatic mister that is fitted.
                  Apart from the price of mossy's do I need to remove every thing in side?..
                  I know they can hold on to the wire cage.. the cham used to with no problems.
                  I looked at the leashi and liked the mossy better.. and the adult size is better too.
                  If I remove all the light and heat.. could a heat mat be used ?.

Comment

When you say mossy, are you referring to Uroplatus sikorae? These are a different story entirely. They require a glass enclosure in order to keep the humidity high. They are a delicate species, native to Madagascar, and easily stressed. Heat will be deadly to them. I would strongly recommend reading everything you can find before jumping into Uroplatus.

Noelle

Comment

Working...
                    X