DIY Feeder Ledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Feeder Ledge?

So I'm thinking of making the geckos some magnetic feeder ledges and I've searched around but I'm kind of confused as to what exactly to use as everyone uses something different. Would it be best to just get a can of "Great Stuff" (if so which kind?) or buy a sheet of foam? Also, would I be able to just make the ledge shape, let that air off for a day or two, paint using Krylon H2O if I can find it, if not then what can I paint it with? Then use some type of silicone, are they all non toxic, or just specific brands? Do I have to use grout or can I just silicone last and it will be waterproof?

So really my plan is foam->dry->paint->dry->silicone->dry and air out->done

Proposed Materials:
    Foam- http://www.rona.ca/en/expanding-foam
    Silicone- http://www.rona.ca/en/sealant---sili...ant-1553033--1
    Magnetsx4- http://www.rona.ca/en/magnet-63865576--1
    = about $25
    Sorry for all the questions, I've seen some great ledges, and I want to do it right without wasting too much money.
    1.0.0 Crested Geckos - Riot
    1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos - Shaymus & Zombie
    0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
    R.I.P Havoc

I make my own ledges using styrofoam. It's easily sculpted, cheap (you're almost guaranteed to have some laying around) & you don't have any cure time. After it's sculpted, cover it in grout & then you can either cover it in silicone & roll it around in eco-earth/moss or you can paint it (acrylic or anything food safe) & seal it. Here are a couple of pics of some of my styrofoam 'items' using different finishes.
    Leopard Gecko tank (all the ledges/platform are styrofoam, grout & polycrylic water based sealer mixed with playground sand):
    While checking my layout:

Finished product:

Feeding stations I made to hold lids for Kritter Keepers/Small tubs (sorry, best pic I have):

Background using both the grout (rocks) & silicone/eco-earth techniques:

Hide/lay box:

Hope this helps a bit!
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

Comment

I might have some around if I dig enough, my parents like to get rid of it asap because it makes such a mess. Does the type of silicone or grout matter or is it all the same?
      And I have some of this http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Produ...afters_Acrylic paint lying around is that alright to use?
      Is there anyway to make it smoother using styrofoam?
      (Sorry I've never used grout or silicone before :P)
      1.0.0 Crested Geckos - Riot
      1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos - Shaymus & Zombie
      0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
      R.I.P Havoc

Comment

The unsanded grout is usually the way to go, I only used sanded on the Leopard Gecko tank because I wanted more texture for them to be able to grip to. The paint you have is perfect, just seal it with something food safe, there are quite a few choices- acrylic sprays, polycrylic water based sealer, I've also heard of people using Mod Podge... You can make it smoother, just carve it the way you want & and apply the non sanded grount smoothly, I just like having the texture to add depth, but it's all how you apply it. you can also use spray paint over the grout & in a pinch instead of paint (always with sealer over it). It's a lot of fun to make your own pieces, but it is really messy so if possible sculpt/carve outside, though I do mine in the living room & let my vaccuum take care of the mess I make, lol. You can make thin pieces of styrofoam thicker by using a hot glue gun to bulk them up if needed, or to attach pieces. They do sell glue specifically for styrofoam, but I'm too impatient to wait for it to set & prefer to move quickly, the grout will also fill any small spaces or boo boos, so it's a very forgiving/beginner friendly method. You can pm me if you want more info or pics.
        4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

Comment

Working...
        X