Cleaning Worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Worries

I had been looking around at how to clean my crestie's tank and I saw that the most common way was one part bleach-nine parts water.

Today I cleaned my gecko's cage and I used about a fourth of a cup of bleach and a little more than 7 quarts of warm water. The cage now smells strongly of bleach and I'm worried about the fumes.

Is the smell normal or should I do something promptly to save my gecko?

You can get rid of the smell using diluted vinegar. Some people use bleach, but I never expose my animals to it. I would recommend picking up a reptile safe cleaner from a pet store or ordering one online. It's personal preference, though.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/svalnahel?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bumblebat View Post
      You can get rid of the smell using diluted vinegar. Some people use bleach, but I never expose my animals to it. I would recommend picking up a reptile safe cleaner from a pet store or ordering one online. It's personal preference, though.
      I definitely won't be using bleach ever again. I'm having a mild panic attack because I'm so worried Felix will die because of the fumes. I really didn't use that much bleach but it reeks.
      I already rubbed down the walls with diluted vinegar to get rid of the water stains but still...

Comment

I use chlorhexadine to clean my tanks. It is a good alternative to bleach and does not leave any fumes when properly diluted.
        Tiffany
        Crested Geckos and other assorted pets

Fancy Pants Geckos on Facebook
        iHerp

Comment

Originally posted by TigerTech View Post
          I use chlorhexadine to clean my tanks. It is a good alternative to bleach and does not leave any fumes when properly diluted.
          Where can you get chlorhexadine?

Comment

I believe you can order it on Pangea)))
            MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
            I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
            Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

It can be ordered online or most larger pharmacies have it since it's a medical disinfectant.
              Tiffany

iHerp

Comment

The only time I've ever used a 10% bleach solution to clean a tank or decor/dishes is when I've purchased them used, or when I had to fight a parasite infestation. It required a lot of washing afterwards though to really get rid of the scent, and even then it still lingered a bit. Otherwise, for general cleaning, I just use a 5% solution and it's much easier to wash away the fumes and the worries about possibly harming your pet.

You can also refer to this site, which has a list of reptile-safe cleaning products and the pros and cons of each. It's quite informative.
                ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

I might just buy the cleaning solution at my local pet store. It's a little on the expensive side but seems the easiest to get and pretty safe.

Comment

I have seen several posts about chlorhexadine, I will continue to use vinegar or bleach. Chlorhexadine isn't safe for cats, and I have two. Even if I use them on my geckos tanks only (which the cats have no access to) I can't risk someone deciding to use the cleaner for something else and my cats getting into it.

Comment

Chlorhexadine is used in many veterinary practices as a dental disinfectant as well as surgical site scrub on cats. Fort Dodge's Novalsan has been found to be the least reactive to cat tissues. It all depends on the solution.
                      Tiffany

iHerp

Comment

Here at the zoo, we use Nolvasan (Chlorhexadine diacetate) along with a couple of other disinfectants. I bought an undiluted gallon for $60 online at an equine health shop (Horse Helth USA). I use Nolvasan for everything, and it is even safe enough to disinfect wounds with. I've never heard it being bad for cats. It is diluted and used for ear rinses. I'm not claiming to know everything there is to know about it, but I'd like to read a source saying it is bad for cats. Most disinfectants are carcinogenic (including bleach), but Nolvasan is not.
                        0.0.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                        1.0 Tupinambis teguixin
                        0.0.1 Heterodon nasicus
                        0.0.8 Hymenochirus sp.
                        0.1 Eublepharis macularius

Comment

Originally posted by roguedroid View Post
                          Here at the zoo, we use Nolvasan (Chlorhexadine diacetate) along with a couple of other disinfectants. I bought an undiluted gallon for $60 online at an equine health shop (Horse Helth USA). I use Nolvasan for everything, and it is even safe enough to disinfect wounds with. I've never heard it being bad for cats. It is diluted and used for ear rinses. I'm not claiming to know everything there is to know about it, but I'd like to read a source saying it is bad for cats. Most disinfectants are carcinogenic (including bleach), but Nolvasan is not.
                          https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslett...ter/psrd.shtml
                          Here is the only literature I have found. Purdue used Nolvasan for everything while I was there and never had any adverse reactions. I apologize for spelling in earlier post, I usually don't use brand names.
                          Tiffany

iHerp

Comment

Hmm, when I first researched it I swear all I could find were multiple claims that said it cause respiratory problems in cats. Now I'm wondering if I spelled it wrong lol

Comment

bleach should be diluted at 1:32 (1 part bleach to 32 parts water) let it sit for ten minutes then rinse and dry. at this ratio it disinfects and you wont have a strong oder.

Comment

Working...
                              X