Eco-earth vs Plantation soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco-earth vs Plantation soil

What is the difference between ZooMed's eco-earth and Exo-Terra's Plantation soil?

Aren't they both coco fibre?

Anyone used both? Any differences?

Any tips, advice, etc with using these substrates in a crestie enclosure would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    2.4.0 Crested geckos, 0.2.0 Gargoyle geckos, 0.1.0 Okeetee cornsnake - Correen,
    0.1.0 Amel cornsnake - Fiona, 1.0.0 Snow cornsnake - Kai, 1.1.0 Kenyan sand boa, 1.0.1 Leopard gecko,
    0.3.0 Guinea pig (Cavy) 5.1.0 Mutts, 0.2.0 Cats,
    0.0.2 White-lipped (cheeked) mud turtles, 3.10.0 Bettas, 0.0.1 Rio grande gold tarantula
    ~Megan

Ive only used Eco Earth. It works great for me, helps to easily maintain good humidity numbers. Only advice id give is to make sure its moist enough dont use it dry. And feed your insects in a separate empty kritter keeper and you wont have problems with impaction.

Comment

I'm not sure which one I use, basically I don't have a lot of choice in my area, but yes, they are both coco fibre. Just different companies. If you use it you should set up a false bottom though, just in case it gets a little too moist.
      2:0:0 White's tree frogs
      0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
      0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie

Comment

I went to a Petco and PetSmart and compared the two. Same thing just different companies.

So, I'm going to attempt to do a live-planted exo (with a few fakes too).

Would love advice on how to keep the substrate clean.

I should pick up any visible poops just like on paper towel, correct?

And then turn the substrate once a month or a week?
        0.1.0 Amel cornsnake - Fiona, 1.0.0 Snow cornsnake - Kai, 1.1.0 Kenyan sand boa, 1.0.1 Leopard gecko,
        0.0.2 White-lipped (cheeked) mud turtles, 3.10.0 Bettas, 0.0.1 Rio grande gold tarantula
        ~Megan

Comment

Turn the substrate whenever you think it needs it. You'll notice the poop at first, it may even grow some fuzz for you to find, but once you have an eco-system in there (ie springtails, they make there way everywhere!) they will help break up the poop and the plants will use that as fertilizer. (not saying you don't have to clean, just saying it helps!)

Like I had mentioned earlier, set up a false bottom (can be with leca pellets - clay balls used in hydroponics, or with egg crate held up by pvc pipping or aquarium gravel, though that last one is a heavy option, just place a weed barrier or screen over top to stop the earth from leaking into the pellets).

Comment

If I used the egg crate how quickly would it have to be replaced?

I'm assuming the moisture will eventually ruin it.
            ~Megan

Comment

Ignore my post. I was thinking of paper eggcrate.

Didn't realize the light diffuser was called eggcrate.
              ~Megan

Comment

lol sorry about the confusion! I had the hardest time finding the stuff the first time because everybody thought the same thing over at home depot it was in the more industrial light section. paper egg crate couldn't be used in a setup like that because it will mush up and mold. It's all good!

Comment

I am woundering this my self i knkw in a past reply some one had said they are the same thing diff comp but they are the same comp is it just a way to charge more for one or in ways like car comps have the exact same car just add heat seats and call it a xt or add the heat rear window and call it a ext
                  or is just me lol with my big biz trying to get more tax breaks Idk thnks in av

Comment

Working...
                  X