how to clean plants, and bamboo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clean plants, and bamboo ?

I have several inexpensive plants that I bought from Walmart. I've cleaned them but I'm just not sure if I cleaned them thoroughly enough. Is it enough to rinse them really well with RO-filtered water? Or is a soap or something needed to remove any pesticides?

For some purple plants that were listed on the "safe" list (but the name escapes me right now) I replaced the soil with a type of sphagnum moss soil (the black stuff from BC, not the light-colored stuff from NZ) and then topped it with the NZ stuff. Then I've let them sit out at least another 2 weeks. Do you think they are safe now?

Also, I got two bamboo plants, planted in small rocks instead of soil. I've rinsed them off really well too, just with the RO water. Do you think they are safe?

The "safe plant" list just has this to say about bamboo:

*Bamboo - (live or dry) please the the Wikipedia article, way to much intresting info to list! Clippings will produice.
    But I'm not sure what Wikipedia article it's referring to.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

You should replant the plants in "safe" soil as you did and rinse them off as you did BUT then I would let the plants be for awhile (a couple weeks) on a shelf or wherever so any of the fertilizers or chemicals will leach out of them only feeding them water..Kinda like a "water cleanse" if you will
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Comment

Ok, thanks! Then the purple plants are probably ready, they've been sitting out for at least two weeks, but the other plants and bamboo I just got, so I will wait on them.
      *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
      0.2 cats
      0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
      1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Comment

I agree with what Cid said above. You basicly need to quarenteen the plants.

Comment

Working...
        X