X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepella
    replied
    Another attractive and safe plant is Watermelon Begonia (Peperomia argyreia). This is not a watermelon or a begonia, it belongs to the Peperomia family, which is non-toxic. I have some in my gecko vivarium.

Also, for those who want to know if a plant species is toxic or not: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal...n-toxic-plants

Leave a comment:

• Shutter
    replied
    Not sure if it's safe, read that it's not safe for birds, so.... I wouldn't recommend it based on size anyways, Star Jasmine grows 10' with leaves getting up to adult hand size. My Night Jasmine is taking over a window right now, but can't wait for it to bloom soon =)

Leave a comment:

• chris.q121
    replied
    is Star Jasmine safe???

Leave a comment:

• Swancici
    replied
    Anyone know if persian shield plants are safe? I can't find if it is anywhere

Leave a comment:

• Treebiscuit
    replied
    Selaginella are a kind of clubmoss. I had some in my tank until it died. Completely harmless for cresties.
    As for Tacca, they get HUGE. You'd need at least a cubic metre of space to house an adult plant. (I've grown these from seed before. Striking plants, but massive when mature).

Leave a comment:

• Emmy
    replied
    [QUOTE]Is Zamioculcas zamiifolia safe for my new Crestie viv? I just ordered one from neherp that says it's perfect for medium, arboreal geckos but Wikipedia says "All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested"/QUOTE]

Yes, ZZ palms are safe for cresteds. I've found several sources that recommended using them in crested enclosures. If unsure about the geckos safety, just don't allow feeder insects into the enclosure, feed the gecko in a separate enclosure. This will prevent the gecko indirectly ingesting the plant through the feeder insect.

I also wanted to let everyone know that there is a poisonous species of lichen that I just found out about. I wanted to purchase some nice lichens for my vivarium and came across Wolf Lichen, which is very attractive looking. I googled it just to make sure( I had never heard of a dangerous lichen but knew double-checking wouldn't hurt) and fond out that wolf lichen is in fact poisonous( at least to mammals, but nobody has ever tested it on cresties so I wouldn't risk it). It was even used at one point to poison foxes and wolves, hence the name wolf lichen. Please make sure this lichen is not present in any of your enclosures.

Its binomial name is Letharia vulpina.

Leave a comment:

• TheRedOx
    replied
    Is Zamioculcas zamiifolia safe for my new Crestie viv? I just ordered one from neherp that says it's perfect for medium, arboreal geckos but Wikipedia says "All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested"

Leave a comment:

• Guen
    replied
    I don't like feeding crickets, they're nasty little critters. If I can get away with no crickets, I will not use them at all.

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    we are talking about the spider plant not the fly traps.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkin
    replied
    A gecko wouldn't get the insect out of the plant. The trap would seal. Either way. Don't most people use a separate container for crickets so they don't hide in the tank?
    All I'm doing is letting people know they're safe

Leave a comment:

• cassicat4
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
    it is lists as safe but I would not use it in a tank you feed live insects in... should the insects eat the plant then your geckos eat the insect.
    Oh ok, that makes sense then...so as long as you can be sure your food items aren't munching on it, then it's fine. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• pumpkin
    replied
    This is only with unhealthy flytraps. When you give carnivorous plants lots of light, their leaves become sturdy. Also the me prostrate they are the stronger their leaves. A Big Mouth or healthy B52 flytrap would be great with cresties. The hard thing might be how to give the plant light. My friend used one t8 bulb that was sideways on the tank so it was about 3" away from the plant. Normal lights for a properly sized crestie tank would most likely be too far away from the plant unless you put it somewhere at the top.

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    it is listed as safe but I would not use it in a tank you feed live insects in... should the insects eat the plant then your geckos eat the insect.... bad stuff could happen.
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cassicat4
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
    Guen - I would remove the spider plant. Very poisonous and not to be used around pets.
    It's listed as a safe plant on the first post of this thread. Or am I missing something?

*Chlorophytum (spider plants) – average humidity, moderate light, should be allowed to get almost dry before watering

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Guen - I would remove the spider plant. Very poisonous and not to be used around pets.

Also I would not use fly traps with cresties or animals that like to jump and flop on plants. The fly traps would most like be trampled with how delicate they are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X