Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any information about some certain kinds of mushrooms you can grow with rhacs? (Turkey Tail, shiitake, glow in the dark mushroom)
    "Squeaking? My crested gecko squeaks at night, it's a bit unsettling to hear. I had a nightmare I was being chased by killer dolphins..."~~Zamnza

Comment

I believe Pangea sells the glow in the dark mushrooms, but there are mixed reviews on how well they grow. This thread explains a bit more:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...light=mushroom
      ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

I have baby spider plants, a small viney pothos, a Dracaena Compacta, and a small arrowhead plant. Are these okay to have in with cresties? I really like the dracaena and pothos plants and would love to get more, but I would like to know if they can all coincide with each other and a crestie. I love plants, so I'm willing to make some changes. I have a variegated snake tongue, evergreen snake tongue, asparagus fern, and a small juniper bonsai. Would any of these work as well?

Comment

First two pics are some plants I gave to someone(they're in a greenhouse)

The last pic is the plants from a long time ago.
          The others are recent. My plants have nearly no open traps because of all the flies that they catch. If you look closely you may see some of the carcasses.
          I gave some others away to someone that uses them with cresteds. He just has to remove them and put them in the fridge for winter.

Comment

Guen - I would remove the spider plant. Very poisonous and not to be used around pets.

Also I would not use fly traps with cresties or animals that like to jump and flop on plants. The fly traps would most like be trampled with how delicate they are.
            Sarah & Jake
            LunarGecko.net
            Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
            You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
              Guen - I would remove the spider plant. Very poisonous and not to be used around pets.
              It's listed as a safe plant on the first post of this thread. Or am I missing something?

*Chlorophytum (spider plants) – average humidity, moderate light, should be allowed to get almost dry before watering
              ~Cassi

Comment

it is listed as safe but I would not use it in a tank you feed live insects in... should the insects eat the plant then your geckos eat the insect.... bad stuff could happen.
                Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM.
                Sarah & Jake
                LunarGecko.net

Comment

This is only with unhealthy flytraps. When you give carnivorous plants lots of light, their leaves become sturdy. Also the me prostrate they are the stronger their leaves. A Big Mouth or healthy B52 flytrap would be great with cresties. The hard thing might be how to give the plant light. My friend used one t8 bulb that was sideways on the tank so it was about 3" away from the plant. Normal lights for a properly sized crestie tank would most likely be too far away from the plant unless you put it somewhere at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
                    it is lists as safe but I would not use it in a tank you feed live insects in... should the insects eat the plant then your geckos eat the insect.
                    Oh ok, that makes sense then...so as long as you can be sure your food items aren't munching on it, then it's fine. Thanks!
                    ~Cassi

Comment

A gecko wouldn't get the insect out of the plant. The trap would seal. Either way. Don't most people use a separate container for crickets so they don't hide in the tank?
                      All I'm doing is letting people know they're safe

Comment

we are talking about the spider plant not the fly traps.
                        Sarah & Jake
                        LunarGecko.net

Comment

I don't like feeding crickets, they're nasty little critters. If I can get away with no crickets, I will not use them at all.

Comment

Is Zamioculcas zamiifolia safe for my new Crestie viv? I just ordered one from neherp that says it's perfect for medium, arboreal geckos but Wikipedia says "All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested"
                            1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Crash) 1.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Lizzie and Finn)

Comment

[QUOTE]Is Zamioculcas zamiifolia safe for my new Crestie viv? I just ordered one from neherp that says it's perfect for medium, arboreal geckos but Wikipedia says "All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested"/QUOTE]

Yes, ZZ palms are safe for cresteds. I've found several sources that recommended using them in crested enclosures. If unsure about the geckos safety, just don't allow feeder insects into the enclosure, feed the gecko in a separate enclosure. This will prevent the gecko indirectly ingesting the plant through the feeder insect.

I also wanted to let everyone know that there is a poisonous species of lichen that I just found out about. I wanted to purchase some nice lichens for my vivarium and came across Wolf Lichen, which is very attractive looking. I googled it just to make sure( I had never heard of a dangerous lichen but knew double-checking wouldn't hurt) and fond out that wolf lichen is in fact poisonous( at least to mammals, but nobody has ever tested it on cresties so I wouldn't risk it). It was even used at one point to poison foxes and wolves, hence the name wolf lichen. Please make sure this lichen is not present in any of your enclosures.

Its binomial name is Letharia vulpina.
                              http://emilyburke.carbonmade.com
                              https://www.facebook.com/EmilyBurkeArtwork

Comment

Selaginella are a kind of clubmoss. I had some in my tank until it died. Completely harmless for cresties.
                                As for Tacca, they get HUGE. You'd need at least a cubic metre of space to house an adult plant. (I've grown these from seed before. Striking plants, but massive when mature).
                                3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Working...
                                X