Color enhancing diet ingredients?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color enhancing diet ingredients?

Anyone know of any ingredients in diets or that you can add to your diet to help enhance your gecko's color?

They sell fish food and stuff that supposedly has color enhancing ingredients...why not for cresties?
    Nell Rux
    a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
    Just Ice Reptile

No, there is nothing to enhance the color of crested geckos.

Comment

Any compound in the carotene group can actually enhance colration, I wouldnt recommnend loading your geckos up on it though.
      www.midwestherpetoculture.com

Comment

isn't carotene only responsible for "red group" colors; orange, red, pink?
        0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko\'s
        0.0.1 Ball python\'s
        0.1 Blood python\'s
        0.0.2 Crested Gecko

Comment

Originally posted by lilroach56
          isn't carotene only responsible for "red group" colors; orange, red, pink?
          Yes it is.....and while i'm sure it can enhance the colors a little, it is not going to turn a buckskin into red. I really don't think it would make a big difference at all.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys
            Nell Rux
            a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
            Just Ice Reptile

Comment

I saw an add in one of the more recent (past 6 months, i think) reptiles mags. Its this color spray stuff that you spray on the animal...its supposed to enhance color. If i see the add again i will post it. The company is ESU reptile i think.
              0.0.1 Ball python\'s
              0.1 Blood python\'s
              0.0.2 Crested Gecko

Comment

I think I also saw those advertised somewhere. Wonder if they really work or not
                Nell Rux
                a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
                Just Ice Reptile

Comment

They say UV rays can perhaps make your rhacs look better though for the money it isn't worth it I think.
                  Derek Dunlop
                  DDReptiles
                  www.DDReptiles.net
                  Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

I'm guessing all the UV lamp would do is let you see your gecko in white light instead of the typical yellowy light from normal light bulbs
                    0.0.1 Ball python\'s
                    0.1 Blood python\'s
                    0.0.2 Crested Gecko

Comment

Originally posted by lilroach56
                      I'm guessing all the UV lamp would do is let you see your gecko in white light instead of the typical yellowy light from normal light bulbs
                      Some UV lights are made to make certain colors more visable. I know most typical fish tank florecent lights are made to bring out the red in the fish. I does absolutely nothing to the color though.........it just changes how your eyes see it.

Comment

yeah which is why pics always look better when taken outdoors instead of inside.
                        0.0.1 Ball python\'s
                        0.1 Blood python\'s
                        0.0.2 Crested Gecko

Comment

UV light is not expensive... just go outside :P I take my geckos outside sometimes, and yeah it fires them up pretty hard... I would never spray something on them, or throw cr@p in their diet to try to 'enhance' their color... but sunlight they get in nature, and uv rays can't hurt them...

if they are bothered by it, they hide in their plants or hides.

Comment

Working...
                          X