substrate question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substrate question....

Right now I'm just using paper towels, I'm feeling the humidity level isn't high enough. Is in ok to use coconut bark for a baby? Can she find her crickets? Is it safe? I'm misting her cage twice a day.

Should be okay.

I have a baby CG. I was told to use the coconut and it seems to be working fine. He has not eaten any of it and it seems to hold moisture well. If you are worried about the humidity levels you can buy something from a local pet store that will measure these levels. Any GC care sheet will let you know what kind of humidity levels they like. As long as you mist once or twice a day and it stays within these levels you should be fine sticking with the paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by gibsonsg412 View Post
      I have a baby CG. I was told to use the coconut and it seems to be working fine. He has not eaten any of it and it seems to hold moisture well. If you are worried about the humidity levels you can buy something from a local pet store that will measure these levels. Any GC care sheet will let you know what kind of humidity levels they like. As long as you mist once or twice a day and it stays within these levels you should be fine sticking with the paper towel.
      Thanks gibson. I have a hygrometer on order. And I'll be adding some live pothos to her tank. I just worry ALL the time!

Comment

Well if you were to change the substrate i would recommend feeding any live food in a different place, that's what i do.

I worry too, and would rather not risk them getting a mouthful of substrate. besides getting them out once or twice a week gives me a chance to check them over, maybe weigh them, take some pictures etc.

Comment

i have to advise you if your going to add plants and coco fiber, make a drainage layer. you can make a drainage layer for about $15 bucks and the substrate will last ten times as long. just go to a hardware store and pick up a bag of small landscaping stones (about the size of quarters) and a roll of fiberglass screen. sanitize the rocks and add about 1-2" of rocks in the bottom of the tank, lay the screen over it, and add another 1-2" of coco fiber on that. otherwise you will have to change out the coco fiber about once a month. good luck.
          2.1.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus Jasper, Taz, Hunter
          0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua [PI](unnamed)
          1.1.0 Holland lop Marley, Ella

Comment

I would advise against bedding if your unsure of how often your gecko eats if your possitive she eats normaly than take her out and feed her in a seperate container its good for it to dry out to about 30-40 percent during the day and then soak it when the gecko first wakes up at night they need a dry piriod to diture mold and other fungus if you absolutly need bedding its get eco earth expandible bedding it comes in bricks add water and it makes a safe coconut bedding for your gecko and its easy for them to burrow into if thehumididty dose get down too low for there comfort id also wait on putting live plants in with a baby you'll end up breaking the plants trying to find her to take her out and feed her keep it simple while there young then get all complex when there older ^__^

Comment

question..

Hi everyone,could you guys tell me what the best substrate is,in your opinions.

Ive tried everything,liked coco fiber the best but my girl starting getting mouthfuls so i changed it to carpet.(this was before i starting feeding them outside the tank)I dont like the look of it and have to have my plants in little pots.With coco fiber,if its safe,how often do you change it?
              ~Tanya~

Comment

Originally posted by Antoniorocko View Post
                i have to advise you if your going to add plants and coco fiber, make a drainage layer. you can make a drainage layer for about $15 bucks and the substrate will last ten times as long. just go to a hardware store and pick up a bag of small landscaping stones (about the size of quarters) and a roll of fiberglass screen. sanitize the rocks and add about 1-2" of rocks in the bottom of the tank, lay the screen over it, and add another 1-2" of coco fiber on that. otherwise you will have to change out the coco fiber about once a month. good luck.
                Thanks antonio, I just added a potted plant. I'm trying to keep the humidity up. and I have a bunch of artificial as well.

Comment

pothos grow well in the coco fiber, they are a really hearty plant that can grow in water alone. wash off the entire plant including the roots because there could be pesticides/bugs/bug eggs in the dirt that you don't want near your crestie. my pothos are growing like weeds and they have been in straight coco fiber for 6 months now.
                  2.1.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus Jasper, Taz, Hunter
                  0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua [PI](unnamed)
                  1.1.0 Holland lop Marley, Ella

Comment

I keped some of my cresties when they were young in natural terrariums with no problems.

-Sunne-
                    Life is like a lump of clay, you can mold it into any shape you want.

15.16.1,000,000 crested geckos. 2.7.2 gargoyle geckos. 1.0.0 leachie. 2 tiger salamanders. 1 spotted salamander. 2 marbled salamanders. 1 paddle-tailed newt. 2 mandarin newts. 1 Hermann's tortoise. 1 box turtle. 5 rats. 5 hedgehogs!

DFTBA!

Check out my rhacs on My iherp

Comment

Working...
                    X