Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Male woes...Is my male just not interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male woes...Is my male just not interested?

So...I have this great, gorgeous, amazing looking male who's been paired up with my breeding female for about a month and a half now...I have them in the same enclosure. So....this gorgeous, amazing male is pretty much a chicken. He hides all day and night...I never catch him out and about, except for once or twice when he was moving to a snugglier location (he likes to squeeze into the weirdest places)...and he has never once made any move towards the female.

I know what you're thinking....they could have mated and I missed it because I'm not up all night to watch them, but seriously....I'm generally up half the night anyway, and I haven't even heard a peep outta either of them. He just hangs out in the corkbark, all snuggled in there for days at a time...and she's out and about digging, because she's gravid again, but the last one she laid was definitely a dud.

Anyone have issues like this? Males that just..aren't interested? Not to anthropomorphize the situation, but he's like that gorgeous guy that you chase around and definitely wouldn't mind fathering your kids (lol)....but he's more interested in the mirror...or other guys....and you've no hope of ever seeing the fruits of his genetic structure.
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

if she is digging, how do you know she isn't going to lay fertile eggs? i have lucy and david together, and i finally have seen them "couple"... they are very quiet! and they don't move! lucy has already laid a fertile clutch, and i expect her to lay another one in mid june. watch for your girl's eggs. i bet they're fertile!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Comment

Well, the issue is...she was paired up with another male of mine for a while....so if she is laying some fertile stuff, it's from that prior male...or im assuming. I'm just concerned, because I'd love to pass on this guys bloodline..he's got amazing crests and such an interesting pattern...
      .megs.
      Proud slave to...
      //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//

Comment

Originally posted by pestisperamor View Post
        Well, the issue is...she was paired up with another male of mine for a while....so if she is laying some fertile stuff, it's from that prior male...or im assuming. I'm just concerned, because I'd love to pass on this guys bloodline..he's got amazing crests and such an interesting pattern...
        Well, I wouldn't assume the eggs she'd lay are "definitely" from the previous boy, if she laid a dud/duds in between. They could be, but I'd have my doubts.

As you said, you can't watch them _all_ the time - they may have done the deed and you didn't see it. I had a male I thought the same thing of - he was extremely timid and didn't seem to like the female interloper to my eyes, but about two months later she had her first gravid eggs so somethin' must have happened
        JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Meghan, she may not be receptive. I'd wait and let nature take it's course.
          ~~~~BEA~~~~

www.chewiechicksreptiles.com

Comment

Can you post pics of this beautiful Adonnis-Gecko?
            Are they both eating/pooping?
            Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Both are definitely eating, definitely pooping...

Bea - She's always been a little fiesty in the breeding arena...so she may have scared him off if he ever made a pass, initially. Or like Jaybee said...I just haven't seen it, which is a definite possibility.

Pics of my male, that I'm totally in love with...coming soon. Like I said, he's a bit shy, so trying to catch him out and about is tough. I'll see if I can't rouse him a little later to snap a few pics.
              .megs.
              Proud slave to...

Comment

i have had this issue before. with my situation it was the female basically telling the male "Get the *$&# away from me!!!! I am NOT interested!!!!" so i think he was a little bit afraid of her.
                and she is a very dominant female, the cage is her castle, and even with people, if you stick your hand in the cage, she is going to jump on it (well now she will anyways, before she became socialized, i was a bit afraid of her too!) they were housed together for about six months before they copulated... lol, i never thought that they would breed, but i think he just needed some time to get over his fear of her, and she needed some time to get used to him. i think that finally she was just like "well i guess if this is all i'm gonna get, i may as well take it..."

good luck and i can't wait to see pictures!!!!
                3.6.12.4 crested geckos!

http://www.freewebs.com/alliescresties/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                X