ceramic heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic heaters

i am trying to find ways to get the heat up in my tanks. does anyone who lives in a cold place like canada, alaska, scotland... siberia... use ceramic heaters to heat up their vivs? i have a 50 watt on a 20 long, and it keeps the cage at about 78 to 80 degrees. anyone else use these for cresties? i am considering putting them on al my cages that have screen tops. please tell me what you think!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

I use the ceramic heaters for a couple of aquariums I have snakes in. They are nice in that they last much longer than a light bulb will, and you dont have to deal with any extra light. You still wouldnt need one on your cresties cage unless its really cold. Remember that cresteds do not really need a heat source if housed at room temps, and adding unnecessary heat will do more harm than good, so make sure you really need the extra heat.
    http://www.enviedreptiles.com/
    Check it , You wont regret it.

Comment

I agree, 70-80F is fine, higher is bad, even deadly. For the cooling months 65-70F is fine.

Now if the temps are below 65F then look into heating. Depending on how many tanks you're talking about, a room heater may be a better choice, or something like heat tape. I actually have a heat pad wedged between 2 tanks to give a warm spot in a room that sometimes falls just under 70.
      Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
      0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
      0.2.0 Cats
      0.1.0 English Mastiff

Comment

my frustration is that our house is pretty cool all the time,winter and summer (we turn the heat off during summer months). 68 to 70, and sometimes lower. i have slow growing geckos as a result. i would like to get their cages to the upper 70s. i will not be heating a room for them. so it's going to have to be lights, ceramic heaters, and uths on the sides. i am a little cautious about ceramic heaters, and i wouldn't go over 50 watts. and i am still curious if anyone at all uses them.
        5.7.15.4 crested geckos
        2 corn snakes
        2 labs

Comment

I think just aiming for mid 70s is better. I meant using a ceramic portable heater for the room, if you have many tanks it may be cheaper than using separate lamps for each. They are about $40 or so. You set them for a certain temp and they come on automatically, they also have a tip feature so they turn off if flipped over.

You could also just use a metal dome lamp on each ($5 at walmart) and use a standard bulb 60W or less. It would provide heat, as well as light. You may just need a 40W.

Do you have any windows that get light? Letting some light in during the day will add a few degrees. I'm in SE Wisconsin so it is pretty cool here but in the Summer it gets warm so I will need to watch that the room doesn't get above 80F.
          Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
          0.2.0 Cats
          0.1.0 English Mastiff

Comment

yeah, i certainly don't want to fry my animals! i have one tank with two girls in it who were 12 grams each in jan-feb. i put them together in this tank and put a red light on one end. (it's a 29 gal). those two are now 24 grams, and i am not kidding. i feed cgd, crickets once a week or every other week, calci worms once a month... i really think it was the light since everything else was the same. i started to think about ceramic heaters when folks started talking about cresties seeing red light. (i leave it on all the time.) i may research the heaters you are talking about, but we don't really have a reptile room. they are in my son's bedroom, and some in my room. there are two tanks in the family room. wish we had more space!
            5.7.15.4 crested geckos
            2 corn snakes
            2 labs

Comment

I see then you don't want to be using the ceramic portable since it warms the whole room. You could try the dome lamps, they are cheap and you can use a variety of bulbs in it (from the heat ones to regular incandescents, just don't go over 60W) You can even position it over the top of 2 tanks, a 2 for 1.

They do go through growth spurts, and really the heat I don't think is going to have the whole effect, it does make them more active so they will eat a bit more. You could try upping the amount of crickets, the protein will grow them more so then light. Remember though, too fast of growing isn't good either, they could become overweight and their bones not up to holding it all since they're still growing as well.

My juvie girl is nearly a year and not as big as I hoped for now, but I'm letting her go at her own pace.
              Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
              0.2.0 Cats
              0.1.0 English Mastiff

Comment

how much does your juvie girl weigh? i have a juvie who is almost one year old, and is just 9 grams. i feel i take very good care. but i think he should be SO much bigger. i am not greedy for weight. i just want normal growth. i do think they eat way better in warmer temps. i just want my geckos to be healthy and when they don't grow, i do not think that's healthy. getting them huge is not at all my goal. does that make sense? thanks for your help!
                5.7.15.4 crested geckos
                2 corn snakes
                2 labs

Comment

Actually now that I think of it she probably is 13 months, I got her in Aug and she was about 4 months then.

I think she is like 12g? I would have to check my paper. She is not that big, but recently started eating more so probably with the warm up is getting more active. Probably won't be ready for breeding till Fall. I may just move the two girls together then after a few months, a breather for the adult, I'll switch the boy and juvie girl out so the boy can go with the adult female for a bit, then switch back since this one is too small.
                  Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
                  0.2.0 Cats
                  0.1.0 English Mastiff

Comment

Originally posted by marigold View Post
                    i am a little cautious about ceramic heaters, and i wouldn't go over 50 watts.
                    Why is this? I was thinking about picking up a few. My understanding was that they were really good (emit no light, good even heat, last longer, safer). What have you heard?
                    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

I use a stick on under tank heater and the Zoo-Med night time heat red bulb to keep it over 65 in the winter. I feel that my girl is on the small size as well, though she was a pet store find and is a light and picky eater so it could have more to do with that than it occasionally being a little cooler than I would like.
                      0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
                      1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Comment

i guess i just keep thinking about what happened to tamara's escaped crestie when it touched the ceramic heaters on her snake cages. they get very hot. what i worry about is if the screen gets real hot and i know that cresties sometimes walk across the top of the cage. i guess i am asking how people use these for cresties. i like how they emit heat. and i need heat.
                        5.7.15.4 crested geckos
                        2 corn snakes
                        2 labs

Comment

Well, any light gets incredibly hot. At least in my house they do. Also at my house though, live 3 dogs and 3 cats. So if they escape, they have bigger worries than a hot light fixture. I was wanting to start using them for snakes though, so I guess your concern only lies with cage walking critters.

Comment

Ceramic light fixtures can get very hot and I'd only recommend them for snakes or other larger lizards that need the higher heats.

For cresteds using a UTH is good as it raises the substrate levels just a bit, but if you need more than that a metal dome/clamp light is fine. A regular incandescent house bulb 40W does not give off much heat so I would start with that and if your gauges tell you it isn't enough move up to the 60W. I'd suspect that just the couple degrees you need can be accomplished with one of those two. If not then you can move to a heat bulb but wouldn't recommend the ceramics.

We have the metal dome lamps, use them with corn snakes and they only raise the temp about 4 degrees or so with the 40W. We also have a small heat pad under one side. The dome lamps can be bought at Walmart for $5 in the home/hardware section instead of opting for the branded "pet" ones that are $15+.
                            Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
                            0.2.0 Cats
                            0.1.0 English Mastiff

Comment

Originally posted by Ragdoll View Post
                              Ceramic light fixtures can get very hot and I'd only recommend them for snakes or other larger lizards that need the higher heats.

For cresteds using a UTH is good as it raises the substrate levels just a bit, but if you need more than that a metal dome/clamp light is fine. A regular incandescent house bulb 40W does not give off much heat so I would start with that and if your gauges tell you it isn't enough move up to the 60W. I'd suspect that just the couple degrees you need can be accomplished with one of those two. If not then you can move to a heat bulb but wouldn't recommend the ceramics.

We have the metal dome lamps, use them with corn snakes and they only raise the temp about 4 degrees or so with the 40W. We also have a small heat pad under one side. The dome lamps can be bought at Walmart for $5 in the home/hardware section instead of opting for the branded "pet" ones that are $15+.
                              Are there ceramic heaters made for household use that work as effectively as the $30 - $40 ones sold in petstores?

Comment

Working...
                              X