put these two together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put these two together?

i really want to put jake and marigold back together. do you think i should? i had them together for about a week in march, and marigold got her tail scraped in 4 places. they have been separated since then. the wound looks pretty much healed. now. marigold is very bossy. but jake means business. do you think if i put them together in a larger cage, say a 40 or 55... that they would do better? they were in a 10 gal with a topper, so almost 20 gals... Or, do you think i am crazy to put them back together??
    here they are:
    marigold:

Jake:

I just don't know if some geckos just always fight, or if it is just the logistics of their enclosure.
    thanks for the help.
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Jake is a big boy. WoW. I can see why you want to try and pair them up again, though. Personally, I don't think I would, in fear of hurting Marigold again, but you know the situation better than I do. A larger cage would definitely help, it's just the matter of If you want to risk it or not.

Comment

I would try again in a bigger cage. I would tryi putting them in the morning So I can keep an eye on them through out the day.
      Roxanne
      and the zoo
      www.geckoluv.com

Comment

First a ten gallon is a bit small for two adults, but if it has plenty of plants/ vines to break up the space and make the most of it, thatís better than nothing, But, I really donít think cage size is the reason for the aggression. If you put an adult female in a cage with an adult male no matter what size the male is inevitably going to go after the female (to breed) which in cresty land usually looks more like rape. I would put then in the largest cage available, and would think that with a little time they will get used to each other and they would settle down.First a ten gallon is a bit small for two adults, but if it has plenty of plants/ vines to break up the space and make the most of it, thatís better than nothing, But, I really donít think cage size is the reason for the aggression. If you put an adult female in a cage with an adult male no matter what size the male is inevitably going to go after the female (to breed) which in cresty land usually looks more like rape. I would put then in the largest cage available, and would think that with a little time they will get used to each other and they would settle down.
        http://www.enviedreptiles.com/
        Check it , You wont regret it.

Comment

well, they are *not* in a 10 gal. they were in a 10gal with a topper, which adds another 10 gals of space. this is it:

i might try in a much larger tank. i wish i knew for sure... are there females who just can't be breeders? marigold was in with jake last year, and we have one clutch from them (which hatched a while back...) here is one of their offspring. he's a keeper:

just to show his dorsal:

not very good photos, but it's all i have... i just like this guy, and i want to make more...
          5.7.15.4 crested geckos
          2 corn snakes
          2 labs

Comment

OH so they have bred before with success? I didn't knwo that part of the story...maybe the time before, they were just sick of the small space or it wasn't good timing. How much does Marigold weigh? Perhaps getting her weight up a bit as a buffer and put them together again with careful observation...

EDIT: Though, looking at her picture, she looks like a pretty good weight already.

Comment

yeah, she's a porker... 44 grams last time i weighed. she is also type A, but i think she fights him. he's 53g.
              5.7.15.4 crested geckos
              2 corn snakes
              2 labs

Comment

Just curious as to how you are able to maintain humidity above 60% with all that screen? Also with no substrate?
                Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
                0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
                0.2.0 Cats
                0.1.0 English Mastiff

Comment

Working...
                X