problem with my first natural viv...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with my first natural viv...

now me and my brother are setting up a natural viv for his flying gecko. we have got the tank looking how we want it but when i tried to make the drainage layer, it ended up clogging my pump. there are so many little particles from the hydroballs and the eco earth the pump gets clogged in a matter of seconds. so what do i have do to get it flowing? i have a repti-flow 250 and no filter. i tried straining it but that really hasnt worked.so i appreciate the help im getting frusturated with this thing.

1.1 Crested Gecko
    2.1.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus Jasper, Taz, Hunter
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua [PI](unnamed)
    1.1.0 Holland lop Marley, Ella

it helps if the intake on your pump is elevated slightly from the floor.
    you can build a screen "cage" around the pump to help filter particulate.
    do you hav a screen between the hydro balls and eco earth?
    J.R.

5.11.!.! crested gex
    0.1 pacman frogs
    1.0 chahoua
    0.0.1 milk frog

Comment

i made a screen filter around the pump and i think that is starting to work. this is my younger brothers tank and im currently at the beach so im not positive how its going but i think its starting to work. for anyone who hasnt done this before, i would advise using a strainer to try to remove the small pieces of hydroballs in the bag. its a bummer to have to take the tank apart right after you put it together.

1.1 Crested Gecko

Comment

Yes, washing the LECA helps greatly :P. It is a pain in the butt taking everything down to redo something, but once you think about it, for the time the viv will be running, it is a small inconvenience. I've taken mine completely apart...what, twice now? Hehe. I'm going to be taking it down again this weekend, but this will be my last time...ha.

Good Luck!!
        Tyler

Rhacodactylus ciliatus - 1.2.15.4
        Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Comment

thanks, this is my first attempt at a natural viv so im a pretty new to this but its moving along pretty smoothly. i took my brother to a reptile expo just to go look around, since it was the first show either of us have been to. we had no intention of getting any new geckos, but when he saw the flying geckos well...we had a new pet. so we decided to make it a nice natural viv, since they are so well camoflauged. this was really a prototype for my viv i am going to make later this summer for jasper.

Comment

I hope you'll be able to post pics of the vivs when you are finished! and the flying gecko!
            5.7.15.4 crested geckos
            2 corn snakes
            2 labs

Comment

Working...
            X