Focused Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focused Lighting

I have a clamp lamp with the 'cage' type wire around it. The problem is, the light fills the whole room and doesn't really center on the viv I point it at.

Anyone have any luck with wrapping the wire material with Aluminum foil to focus the light?

Thanks,

Danielle

Originally posted by K9SARchick View Post
    I have a clamp lamp with the 'cage' type wire around it. The problem is, the light fills the whole room and doesn't really center on the viv I point it at.

Anyone have any luck with wrapping the wire material with Aluminum foil to focus the light?

Thanks,

Danielle
    Why not just replace the fixture with a dome-type fixture? They can be had for under $20 and come with porcelain sockets...
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

Here's the light fixture. It's porcelain. It was free with my recent gecko purchase. Just trying to make it work for another enclosure.

Comment

What type of bulb are you using? If you are not using a "flood" type light, you could switch, these bulbs focus the light more downward.

Comment

I have a Repti-Sun bulb in it.

Comment

I would just go to walmart and pick up a shoplight that has a reflector (just like the ones they make for reptiles) They are under $10.... You could probably even take the reflector off the walmart light and get it on your wire ceramic one. reptile supplies are way over priced, you can fine most of the same stuff at your hardware store... FYI you can get digital thermometers/hydrometers that record highs and lows for under $10 too

oh, and aluminum foil will probably work fine but it may look like crap....
            Ryan Kennedy
            Rapture Reptiles

Comment

To be honest, i would go to Walmart and just get a dome fixture. I bought one that could hold a light bulb up to 250 watts, with a porcelain socket, and with a clamp that you could attach to the lamp (then attach the other end to like the side of a tank or something) for $8.99.

No offence, but yours looks like crap. It doesn't look like it could get the job done at all. All of the light and heat would escape before it got a chance to go into your tank.

If you really wanted spot on lighting, you should get the dome fixture and a halogen spot light.

Like RIKennedy said, a lot of the things you may need to keep herps can be found so much cheaper at hardware stores.
              Tyler

Rhacodactylus ciliatus - 1.2.15.4
              Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Comment

Originally posted by crazycresteds View Post
                To be honest, i would go to Walmart and just get a dome fixture. I bought one that could hold a light bulb up to 250 watts, with a porcelain socket, and with a clamp that you could attach to the lamp (then attach the other end to like the side of a tank or something) for $8.99.
                they are the best. i have 4 that i use and the best part is there cheap lol
                1.1.2 Crested Geckos

Comment

Thanks gang. I will check WalMart.
                  I have noticed that even in places like PetSmart prices vary in every department. I saved $5 just by buying a temp gauge and hygrometer from the Hermit Crab section vs. the reptile section.

Comment

that particular fixture that you have is specifically for the basking light bulbs i am pretty sure, and/or the bulbs that give out alot of heat, they get really hot, so that is why thy don't have the reflective stuff around it, and the basking bulbs also sort of make a spot light type of thing, so it isn't important to have the dome directing where the light goes.

i hope you find something good at wally world!
                    3.6.12.4 crested geckos!

http://www.freewebs.com/alliescresties/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X