Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get humidity high enough

Hello
    i just recently set up a bio active terrarium with a Crested Gecko. From what I understand, the humidity should be between 50-70 %. I am able to get the humidity to 55% and it drops down to 35% within 4 hours. Since the bio active terrarium was set up yesterday, do I need to pour in quite a bit of water? I do have a mister but It’s not getting the job done. Also, is it ok to use tap water that has been dechlorinated?
    Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Can you soak some sphagnum moss and put that on top of the substrate? That holds moisture really well.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Seconding on that, although I’ve only had my crestie for a month and a half I’ve noticed that the moss really helps hold moisture. I was having the same issue in the beginning but after adding moss to the enclosure the humidity lasted all throughout the night

Comment

Hello!

I would recommend using moss, if you don't already, and soak it before use. Continue to mist 1 to 3 times a day. Also make sure you have coconut fiber, such as Zoo Med's Eco Earth. You may mist that as well. Sadly, I do not have my crestie anymore, but when I did I misted him 3 to 5 times a day. You can get misting bottles at a dollar store or in the travel section at Walmart. Yes, it is okay if you you that tap water, and make sure that the water dish is fairly large, for soaking to aid shedding, and to aid humidity
        I hope that this helps!

Comment

I have a bioactive, and have been using ABG substrate, as it has some moss in it as well. I have heard that clean-up crews don't do well with eco-earth, even though it holds humidity well - does anyone have any thoughts on that? Anyway, moss will help, and foliage also helps - even potted plants add to the humidity.
          Eileen
          TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
          Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Do you have a water dish in the enclosure? Cresties like big, wide water dishes so that they can wallow if they feel like it.
            Tap water is fine.
            What plants do you have in there, and how often do you water them? What is your lighting situation?
            3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Working...
            X