Mold under moss on substrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold under moss on substrate

So just noticed in my crested geckos terrarium there's some mold under the moss. Is this bad for my gecko and how can I help avoid it. I must once at night to keep humidity up through the night then do a dry out through the day. I have eco earth coconut husk with sheet moss over the top and humidity stays at about 60 through out the day with temps at about 75. New to keeping geckos but done a lot of research before getting them just wanted to know if the mold is harmful and if I need to get it out of the terrarium and how u can prevent it if it is bad for him

What kind of mold is this? No mould is ideal, but sometimes lighter moulds grow on new substrates. A picture could help. If the mould is instead dark in colour, rip everything out because the spores of dark mould can lead to breathing problems. If it's white and fuzzy, it will die down if you let the humidity drop.

Also, do you have isopods and/or springtails in there? They eat mould and can help prevent it from recolonizing your tank.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

I don't have either in there they ok to be in there without live plants also its light color in mold

Comment

Comment

Oh, if the moss isn't alive, I'd throw it out. I thought you had a live viv. Mould eats dead plant matter; if the moss were alive, eventually the mould would have consumed what it could get out of the dead bits and that would be it. Since none of the substrate can defend itself, it should go.
          3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Not sure if the moss is fake its sheet moss from the pet store just got fake plants is it

Comment

Working...
            X